• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATSB Questions

schwarti

Contributor
GRE and SAT prep books also help, I've heard. I've taken the GRE, the SAT and the ASTB, and they're all pretty similar with regard to the verbal and math stuff - obviously, college prep won't help with the mechanical section. For that, you might want to pick up a "Physics for Dummies" book, or something similar.

MotoZuki

Tombstone!!

Your brother should try to understand the concepts behind the mechanical comp questions rather than just being able to answer the ones in the book correctly! He should look at the AFOQT section of the ARCO book for extra questions that are of similar type! A high school intro-level physics book should help with conceptual comprehension!!!!!

Moto!!

DukeDevil

I have spent countless hours exploring the gouge and advice on Air Warriors for the ASTB and first I'd just like to say thanks to all because this site is GOLDEN. I take the exam tomorrow at noon and I am putting the finishing touches on my studying. I came across some good information and resources which may be posted elsewhere (in which case you can ignore me) that really helped me study. Here is a link which has some helpful study guides on some Mechanical Comprehension Concepts and explanations, and examples of the Spatial Apperception along with more ASTB info. Also, here is some information on important things to know and study for the Aviation/Nautical Supplement:
You should be somewhat familiar with the following aviation and nautical concepts for the Aviation and Nautical Information Test portion.

Navy Aircraft Designations
Navy and Marine Corps jet and helo types and purposes
Navy Ship Designations
E.G. Carrier – CV, Amphibious ships – L**, Nuclear powered **N, Destroyer - DDG
Ship terminology
Compartments
Structure
Lights on a ship
Color schemes (e.g. vest colors of personnel working on flight deck, pipe colors and what
they mean)
Greenwich Meantime Definition
Military Time and Zulu time
Aircraft
Control surfaces-what they do
Other surfaces-what they do (e.g. flaps, slats, vertical stabilizer, landing gear)
Forces acting on an aircraft
Sections of an aircraft-names and function
Terminology
Propeller blade design and purpose
Fuselage design
Basic Pilotage
Right of way when approaching another aircraft head on
Standard day
Transponder settings
Turbulence conditions – types and what to do if you encounter
Runway headings
Lights on a runway/airport – color and function
What is the definition of a high performance aircraft
Wind effects on landing
Types of clouds and conditions associated with them
Types of approach lighting
Wind headings
Difference between magnetic north and true north
Lost communication light signals from a control tower
Hazards to flying (e.g. turbulence, thunderstorms, icing)
Things affecting lift on an aircraft
Humidity
Air Density
Altitude
Density altitude
Bernoullis Principle
Pressure and volume/velocity relationship
Basic Navy History
Year founded
All Aircraft Instruments and what they do
Aerodynamics
How is lift generated
Wingtip vortices
Components of an airfoil
Basic helicopter aerodynamics
What causes a stall
Different types of drag
How is lift affected when close to the ground
Significant astronaut missions
Significant milestones in aviation history ( e.g. first woman to fly solo across atlantic ocean, who broke sound barrier, first jet to fly combat mission)
Aerospace physiology
Physiological effects of flying on pilots – i.e. hypoxia, spatial disorientation, etc

I hope this info is helpful. I just wanted to give a little back to you all for giving so much to me. I'll let you all know how I do on the test tomorrow!

cgsccr

cgsccr
I have taken the ASTB once and nearly everything you listed was on Test 3, or at least something of relevance to it was. I take it again on 26June. Anymore hints you can provide would be awesome...

bradler

I guess it really depends on which test you take... I believe I took test 1 and it didn't have 10% of that stuff. It dealt with more comprehension stuff and the aeronautical part was basic pilot stuff maybe 2 questions on boating...nothing to complicated. So don't stress on one thing just understand the whole system.

MettGT

pilot
I guess it really depends on which test you take... I believe I took test 1 and it didn't have 10% of that stuff. It dealt with more comprehension stuff and the aeronautical part was basic pilot stuff maybe 2 questions on boating...nothing to complicated. So don't stress on one thing just understand the whole system.

Test (Form) 1 is no longer being given. Only Forms 3, 4, and 5. I took Form 3 and a good chunk of that list was covered on the test.

DukeDevil

I JUST got back from the test. The bastards gave me form 5 and it was harder than all the study guides I've used, in my opinion. I need a break for a day or two so I'm not going to go into detail right away on some of the stuff covered. But what I can say is study study study as much mechanical comprehension on forces/torque as possible and aviation/nautical history like the first jet to fly combat missions and the types of drag, etc. I'm going for pilot so I think I'm going to take the test again in a month since I only studied for 4 days before this exam and I'm sure a month of studying will drastically increase my scores. Any insight on what a typical good score is for pilot? I got 6/7/6 50. I know I could have done better if I had studied for more than few days but I am glad form 5 is out of the way. Thanks again to everyone for all the help and I'll be back soon!

Stretch32

I've been flying a few years now so I wasn't too concerned about the Aviation portion of the ASTB (even though I can promise you I don't know everything) but I did want to brush up on a few things. After taking check rides you often forget little things that don't play heavily into average everyday flying and you tend to forget concepts or things you simply don't use. I wanted a basic book to review and found one I thought was pretty good that I hadn't seen anyone mention:

"Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledege" (FAA-H-8083-25)

This book covers nearly (probably) everything (except avaition history) that I saw pretaining to avaition on the Avaition/Nautical portion of the ASTB. Its an easy read and has lots of diagrams and pics. I felt this was the best book for the subject as it doesn't get too scientific like many other books that bog you down and it really keeps the info to an understandable Basic Ground School level. If your not into Aviation and your needing a good study source (crash course) I'd say this book is pretty good. It covers aerodynamics, aircraft consruction/design/structure/components (including instruments), weather, powerplants, rules and regs, airport layout/markings/info as well as procedures like light signals and transponder codes (everything I've seen listed to study).

You should be able to find copies on the internet or at your local flight school. I think I paid about $20-$25 for my copy. Anyway, hope this help a few people out.

Stretch

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wanted a basic book to review and found one I thought was pretty good that I hadn't seen anyone mention:

"Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledege" (FAA-H-8083-25)

You should be able to find copies on the internet or at your local flight school. I think I paid about $20-$25 for my copy. Anyway, hope this help a few people out.
Yea, it's been mentioned before. As you suggest, it is a great resource. But man, I think you paid about $20-25 too much.

Get it for free here: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/