• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Atis/awos

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
This always kinda pissed me off on XC's. The 5 minute long ATIS loop with every single possible NOTAM, especially while simulating single pilot and tuning it up and down every 10 seconds listening for your callsign on the other radio from center.

You should hear the Raleigh Durham ATIS....I picked it up 130 miles out, and didnt have it copied until we were inside 70 miles picking up the STAR. BS, although I guess we could have throttled back from MRT :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Long ATIS broadcasts...why God invented ACARS.....

Menu -> ACARS -> ATC -> Arrival ATIS -> Send.....bing.....rip paper.....glance at winds, ceiling, vis & approach/rwy in use....throw at Captain. Done.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
This always kinda pissed me off on XC's. The 5 minute long ATIS loop with every single possible NOTAM, especially while simulating single pilot and tuning it up and down every 10 seconds listening for your callsign on the other radio from center.

That may have been a tongue-in-cheek post, but do you realize you can just request off freq and that you'll monitor guard? Then you don't have to do that switcheroo dance.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That may have been a tongue-in-cheek post, but do you realize you can just request off freq and that you'll monitor guard? Then you don't have to do that switcheroo dance.

A lot of times coming into a busy terminal area, it's not really an option. Even Center may have their hands full and doesn't want to give up being able to talk to you, especially when they hear anything beginning with "NAVY <number><letter> 123."

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
A lot of times coming into a busy terminal area, it's not really an option. Even Center may have their hands full and doesn't want to give up being able to talk to you, especially when they hear anything beginning with "NAVY <number><letter> 123."

Truth. Requested this flying into Denver and got told very politely "good idea, but no" by center or approach.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Need to know, nice to know, f#$% know!

While it is nice to know, it is not the most useful or detrimental piece of information! However, if you can answer ONE fringe question on that remarks section, then certainly you are off the hook from any other questions from that IP/IE/CFI/FE/HMFIC because any other questions will delve into the nether regions of their own brain bucket and they may not know the answer either:icon_smil

Pags

N/A
pilot
A lot of times they'll put "T1 in effect" in our METARS which means that a thunderstorm is in the area/the linemen are going to tell you F' off before they risk getting hit by lightning to come let you out of your jet. Not really...but really. :)

we're not allowed to launch into T1. line rats can't be out on the line. which makes sense, since it means lightening within 5mi of the field. during a severe T1 if there's enough notice we try and hangar the birds.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Like Gator said, that's not really an option for us most of the time. Good way to get a WTF from your instructor, as you do have 2 radios.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Like Gator said, that's not really an option for us most of the time. Good way to get a WTF from your instructor, as you do have 2 radios.

That, and you're up in the flight levels or rvsm playing with passenger jets, but going 100 knots slower than them to fly max range to save gas. ATC guy doesn't want you off in case he has to vector you. Its like when your grandma drives in the fast lane.

Half of that traffic on center up there is guys trying to figure out where there's absolutely zero turbulence. I say they should just get their own "turbulence common" freq, so they can just shoot the shit with each other rather than taking 2 minutes to get turb info from center.
:icon_wink

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Turbulence common: 123.45

Same for the VHF airlines ... often referred to as 'squadron common' ... :)

In the UHF NAVY -- we used to reference 'go to tactical' or 'go to quat 3' when we wanted to chit-chat offline ... i.e., 333.3 for the same-o, same-o result ...

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Same for the VHF airlines ... often referred to as 'squadron common' ... :)

In the UHF NAVY -- we used to reference 'go to tactical' or 'go to quat 3' when we wanted to chit-chat offline ... i.e., 333.3 for the same-o, same-o result ...

No wonder I never heard you guys just "chewing the fat".

We always went winchester - you know 303.0