• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Atis/awos

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Would anyone mind explaining the difference between ATIS and AWOS? From what I have read on the internet, it seems that AWOS is an automatic voice recording while ATIS is someone actually reading off a computer screen. Every ATIS I've ever heard sounded recorded to me.

Clarification?

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
The simple version is that ATIS is manually derived observations by humans that are then recorded for pilot use. It may be a human or computer voice, but human observation. AWOS, I believe, uses special sensors that automatically observe the weather and then records it for our listening pleasure.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
You won't get terminal information (duty runway, approaches in use, etc) from AWOS as it's not necessarily tied to an airport.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Would anyone mind explaining the difference between ATIS and AWOS? From what I have read on the internet, it seems that AWOS is an automatic voice recording while ATIS is someone actually reading off a computer screen. Every ATIS I've ever heard sounded recorded to me.

Clarification?

You're not crazy.

The synthesized voice AITSes are only a few years old but it is still a person typing in the message into the computer. There are still a few human voice ones out there... and by the way when the human voice ones are bad they are very bad (hard to understand, slurred speech, background noise).

Just to confuse things some ASOS and AWOS include pre-recorded remarks (ie. "100 foot crane near runway xx") at the end of every broadcast and these might be human voice or electronic... There are a few different manufacturers for these things with different features in addition to what the

AIM 7-1-12

http://books.google.com/books?id=cH...&dq=aim+7-1-12#v=onepage&q=aim 7-1-12&f=false

Of course the best kind is the human voice on UNICOM "winds are xx altimeter xx, no reported traffic, come on in y'all we have some hot chili on and bbq..." :D

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Cool, thanks for the replies and info. I guess it doesn't matter what the difference is as long as the info is good/understandable.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
If I remember correctly, AWOS can't report SKC, only CLR, with the difference being CLR means no clouds below 12k. Also, AWOS will only report visibility up to 6 miles.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
The important difference I was always told from a guy that actually ran the ATIS, in my days as a CFI, is that an ATIS has a human interaction and thus contains more reliable information, where an AWOS/ASOS is a computer reading from sensors. Sensors are not always totally reliable on their own, and sometimes a guy sticking his head out the door can make all the difference.

For example on calm summer nights you may get 1/4 Vis readings from some stations and 6+ from another airport right next door. Chances are this is because the one reading 1/4 is an automated station that is detecting a little bit of haze just a foot or so above the ground where the ATIS has a guy that can look out and see it is clear as can be for all practical purposes.

Point being you can usually trust an ATIS over an AWOS.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... ATIS has a human interaction and thus contains more reliable information.... Point being you can usually trust an ATIS over an AWOS.
Right ... unless the ATIS is wrong.

I.e., ATIS has the wrong info and/or the wrong runway 'cause it hasn't been updated in a timely fashion (for example) ... which has happened to me more times than I'd like --- ALWAYS pay attention to how you're getting set up inbound to a field and/or at altitude by controllers for an approach -- if it doesn't seem 'right', that's probably 'cause it's NOT ... :)

Never take anything for granted in Aviation. Always verify things, especially those that seem somewhat 'askew' ...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4sForever;576556[B said:
][/B]Never take anything for granted in Aviation. Always verify things, especially those that seem somewhat 'askew' ...
OR... the conditions aren't what were reported, specifically winds. I don't know how many times over the years I have asked for another runway to land on due to winds. Come on tower, no, I really don't want to land with that 15 knot tail wind.

I personally HATE the fast talkers on ATIS, and the inDUHviduals that sound like they are eating a sandwhich while trying to talk. Though, there have been times that it was funny to hear some of the background conversations in the tower/ground that turn up on ATIS that you can hear loud and clear :)

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Ironically, Wikipedia comes higher in search results for ATIS AWOS ASOS where defined

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_airport_weather_station

check it out for the simple definition of these stations. Some notable differences are "surface observation" vs "weather observation". Run by the FAA, computer generated. Would also be impressive if you were able to answer some addition questions when interpriting the METAR under REMARKS when knowing the difference between A01 A02 is which is without or with precipitation discriminator and generated METAR by the same systems. ATIS is usually human voice recorded in the slower airports but larger airports now have the computer generated voice that gives you, in addition to weather, the same important terminal information that is usually also covered in NOTAMS for that airport, as well as telling you which approach, departure, and RWY in use. It is in the AIM as well. but I didn't bother to look, since I've used these all over the country in the last few weeks especially. Clear as mud.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_airport_weather_station

check it out for the simple definition of these stations. Some notable differences are "surface observation" vs "weather observation". Run by the FAA, computer generated. Would also be impressive if you were able to answer some addition questions when interpriting the METAR under REMARKS when knowing the difference between A01 A02 is which is without or with precipitation discriminator and generated METAR by the same systems. ATIS is usually human voice recorded in the slower airports but larger airports now have the computer generated voice that gives you, in addition to weather, the same important terminal information that is usually also covered in NOTAMS for that airport, as well as telling you which approach, departure, and RWY in use. It is in the AIM as well. but I didn't bother to look, since I've used these all over the country in the last few weeks especially. Clear as mud.

I remember a pilot showing me how to decipher the METAR when I was a young crewman. When he got to the REMARKS and all the AO1/AO3 crap, he said not to worry about it, it wasn't that important. I never worried about it again, but it's nice to know what it means.

Anybody ever had a situation where it mattered?

UMichfly

pilot
None
Anybody ever had a situation where it mattered?

A lot of times they'll put "T1 in effect" in our METARS which means that a thunderstorm is in the area/the linemen are going to tell you F' off before they risk getting hit by lightning to come let you out of your jet. Not really...but really. :)

jtmedli

pilot

Clarification?

Also, it's important to know that the ASOS and AWOS have different reporting capabilities. Check the FAR/AIM for the actual specs, but one will only report within certain parameters whereas the other will report actual numbers regardless.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot