• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Atis/awos

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Same for the VHF airlines ... often referred to as 'squadron common' ... :)

In the UHF NAVY -- we used to reference 'go to tactical' or 'go to quat 3' when we wanted to chit-chat offline ... i.e., 333.3 for the same-o, same-o result ...
yea, "quad 3's" is still used, as is winchester (303.0)...

also used:
magnum - 357.0
two guns - 357.45
big butt - 362.475

SF

phrogpilot73

Long ATIS broadcasts...why God invented ACARS.....

Menu -> ACARS -> ATC -> Arrival ATIS -> Send.....bing.....rip paper.....glance at winds, ceiling, vis & approach/rwy in use....throw at Captain. Done.
But then you miss out on the best ATIS broadcast I have ever heard in my life:

(Cute-sounding female voice): "You're listening to the sweet sounds of Camp Pendleton ATIS..."

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
But then you miss out on the best ATIS broadcast I have ever heard in my life:

(Cute-sounding female voice): "You're listening to the sweet sounds of Camp Pendleton ATIS..."
After the Grand Canyon airport had been closed for 3 or 4 days due to snow.....

"Grand Canyon airport information....BORED. Time - who cares? It's snowing, the airport is closed and I'm bored. It's been 3 days since an airplane has called the tower and it's boring. Advise on intial contact you are BORED."

I was the first flight in after the weather cleared and it was before the tower opened for the day and changed it.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Turbulence common: 123.45

I pushed 123.45 in Korea one time to talk off line to wing waiting to get on the range while we sat on the APU, and had a "voice from above" come on in American English and tell me that we had protruded on an ICAO common frequency. We then pushed "Aerosmith"(51.50 FM). That was a fun night in MPRC!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I pushed 123.45 in Korea one time to talk off line to wing waiting to get on the range while we sat on the APU, and had a "voice from above" come on in American English and tell me that we had protruded on an ICAO common frequency. We then pushed "Aerosmith"(51.50 FM). That was a fun night in MPRC!

Come on. Everyone knows that 5150 is a Van Halen reference. ;)

Brett

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
ATIS = "Information Delta", person making observations (and sometimes recording like at KNPA where the altimeter was 30003 today) with duty rwy and notams

AWOS = "1 minute weather" (I think I've heard it called this). No information, machine making observations, can be referred to as "numbers" w/ appch, no duty rwy / notams

Bond - 300.7