• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Study Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
whitedc said:
Wanted to pick some brains out there. I'm in the Air Force and this whole ASTB scoring system isn't really familiar to me. I just got my scores back today: 6/7/6 for an overall of 49. How's that stack up for pilot selection?
6/7/6 isn't bad, 9/9/9 is as high as you can go, and ultra rare. That makes 8s excellent scores, 7s above average, and 6s good, but nothing special. It is a fairly solid score, and if you can study and raise them all by one, you'll be pretty well set. They aren't horrible and you didn't "crash and burn" at all.

The OAR of 49 is a bit low, a score in the mid 50s would be a good deal more compepative.

It's generally more competative these days, there are many things that make up the package, so while we may critique these scores, it's not like we are talking about your entire package, and this only makes up ONE factor in the package. That said, the command that I've talked with has told me that it is a good deal more competative these days, especially for naval aviator, but for the other jobs as well. This means that scores that would have been fine a while back don't cut it today. I don't think anybody wants to lay out a score and say that "you should be scoring this to be selected for pilot", because it's the "entire package" deal, not just the scores.

I'd say you should study up and take it again, BUT your initial score has shown promise, and the improvement that you have to make isn't huge. To have the highest probability of being selected I'd say get the OAR in the 50s at least, get the academic, aviator and flight officer ratings up one.

Seeing your post above, the problem with the books is that they show you the "types" of questions, but they do not give you the knowledge you need to answer all nautical, aeronautical, or math questions. If you want resources for these, check some of the other threads. The gouges do a good job of preparing you for the types of questions, and they get your brain working, but as a flight instructor I know there are so many topics about aeronautical knowledge that are "fair game" that are not going to be explained in a few pages in a gouge. If you are starting with next to zero in terms of nautical and aeronautical knowledge, I'd say you are doing pretty damn good (but continue to study and improve). I know it can't be easy in such a situation.

One of the biggest aspects about being in the military and being a good officer is being able to improve yourself. If you think it is feasable to improve a little bit, then go for it. Good luck!

jmvinci

Coastie Josh
Ok still desperately trying to find this famous Marine Guide,, no luck yet... Anybody know exactly where to find it.. If I want to be an aviator in the Coast Guard; should I even study this material???(marine guide)

ASUSunDevil

ASTB retake

I have taken the test twice now and haven't passed it yet. A 5/6/6 is needed. The first time was last minute notice so I didn't study and scored a 5/5/6. My OSO told me to study the aviation and nautical terms so I had the gouge on here memorized. I took it again and scored a 6/5/7 but my middle score still wasn't good enough. I did know more of the aviation and nautical terms though. Any help? Should I study the ARCO book? I have an engineering degree so the math and mechanics is easy and the reading comprehension is common sense. Thanks.

BoxerCLC

It's probably the spatial section that is messing you up.
I completely bombed the aviation knowledge section, but I still got a 6, it was probably was the spatial that saved me.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Actually a 4/6/6 is needed. If you are scoring an AQR of 6 and a FOAR of 7 then it definately sounds like the spacial aperception part is jacking you up. I am taking the exam friday and am a nervous wreck. Blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.