• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't remember on that one
Here's the answer directly from the source:
NOMI said:
Retest Policy

The ASTB-E administered online via APEX is delivered in computer-adaptive format, presenting a different combination of items to the examinee on each administration. After three attempts at the ASTB-E, the examinee will be ineligible for ASTB testing. An ASTB-E retest can be administered only after 90 full calendar days have elapsed between the date of completion of the first full ASTB administration (once all 7 components have been completed) and the start date of the retest. These test interval requirements cannot be waived, so it is important that examinees are aware of these requirements and the amount of time that has passed between administrations.

Examinees who have taken the entire ASTB-E and are being retested must take the entire battery again even though they may be satisfied with their performance on parts of it (i.e. test scores may not be mixed-and-matched from separate ASTB attempts). If you are unsure of your retest date or which form numbers you are eligible to take, please talk to your recruiter or call 850-452-2435 or email NMOTC-astb@med.navy.mil.

Illegal Testing

An examinee that retests too early (or who retests on the OAR using a form that he or she has already taken) will generate an illegal test. An illegal test means that the individual will not receive valid scores for the testing administration. The illegal test will still be counted against the individual's lifetime limit.

What I found to be different about it compared to the Gouges, is there were less machine type problems, and more problems which required you to use theory to estimate what WOULD happen IF... ect. There were 2-3 Spring questions on mine, so make sure you go over those. Lots of pulley related questions, as well as gears rotation/mechanical advantage of gearing. Also, there was one question about static friction (ie, you have a 20lb object being pushed by 10lb of force, what does the static friction coefficient have to be below to move the object.)

Really make sure you understand why the machines are working and not so much about the equations if that makes sense. From what I can remember, I had zero electrical questions, but others have before me. The new ASTB-E study guides fixed mechanical section really helped me prepare (Make sure you get the second edition, it may not be out yet, but email Accepted Inc. prior to ordering.) The Mechanical Section in other words just makes sense if you look at the problems and analyze whats going on. Give yourself the time as I believe correct answers > # of answers scored.

Again, I haven't taken a math class in 3-4 years, maxed out at Algebra II in high school, then did a brief stats class in community college. In addition, I never took a physics class. So I really had to reteach myself the math and learn basic physics within about a week and a half. Best of luck.

Thanks for your posts brother, I am also in the same boat about the math classes, and never having taken physics so I have been stressing hard. I agree with what I am seeing in AW that the correct answers are worth more than the number answered. I am hoping to study hard for about a month and take the test. Are you applying for the upcoming board (SWO I believe). Also, do you have a URL for the ASTB-E book, I have the Barron's, but I'm not finding the ASTB-E version. In the mechanical section did you see any questions on velocity, water pressure etc?

Mitigates

Pro-Rec Y SNA
Thanks for your posts brother, I am also in the same boat about the math classes, and never having taken physics so I have been stressing hard. I agree with what I am seeing in AW that the correct answers are worth more than the number answered. I am hoping to study hard for about a month and take the test. Are you applying for the upcoming board (SWO I believe). Also, do you have a URL for the ASTB-E book, I have the Barron's, but I'm not finding the ASTB-E version. In the mechanical section did you see any questions on velocity, water pressure etc?

Applying for the Rolling SNA board. I did have a pipe-size water pressure question, so make sure to brush up on those. I actually ended up running out of time on the Reading Comprehension section, but I was given hard question after hard question, so I'm not too sure what to make out of that. I feel like it tanked my OAR rating unfortunately.

For math, I was really stressing about having Logs on my test as I've never had to do them so was teaching myself days before the test. I ended up not having any, as i'm sure I missed easier questions. If you are in a similar situation as me, make sure to really focus on exponents, fractions, combined probability, and fractional exponents. If you grasp basic algebra, all the other questions are relatively easy but those four above made the majority of my math section. Khanacademy.org is a fantastic site which I pretty much used exclusively to brush up on algebra and the skills above. You can select and search for specific types of problems (such as the four above) to really understand them.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll likely write a gouge here soon as I feel like I have some tips and ideas on how to take this test better.

Tyrend

I took the ASTB last week and scored 53 on the OAR portion. I'm not really sure what to make of that score. I was hoping for a little bit higher, but I was exhausted and nervous when I took the test. I used the gouges on this website, the new ASTB book (which has many mistakes), and the Barron's ASTB book.

Math was pretty straightforward. The hardest I had was probably a multiplication matrix problem. The study guides contained a lot of good practice problems similar to those on the test. I couldn't have done more than 15 math questions before it went on to the reading comprehension test. It wasn't anywhere near the 30-40 questions I was expecting.

The reading comprehension section was harder than I thought it would be when compared to the study guides. I was pretty tired when I took the test which seemed to make it harder. This section seemed to be the hardest to study for. For me, it was either I knew it or I didn't and there was no in between. I read the paragraphs without bias and eliminated the answers that were obviously wrong and went from there. This section also seemed to end abruptly before the time ran out.

Mechanical comprehension was harder than I thought it would be. A few questions threw me off, like a centripetal acceleration question is one that comes to mind. The rest of the questions were similar to those out of the gouge: electricity, pulleys, etc.

EeeZy

Would anyone be willing revise this and target the correct parking lots?

Attachments

• ASTB Practice.pdf
    420.5 KB · Views: 446

navy2014

Would anyone be willing revise this and target the correct parking lots?

Let's call the possible answers up, down, right, or left, or a combo of directions when you're not flying in from a direction. Here's what I would put (which isn't to say I didn't blow any of them):

1. Down
2. Up/Left
3. Down
4. Down/Left
5. Down
6. There's no direction arrow on this one... ?
7. Right
8. Up/Right
9. Right
10. Up/Right
11. Left
12. Up/Left
13. Up
14. Up/Left
15. Left
16. Down/Left

You get A LOT of practice with this on the actual test. It's actually much easier to do the ones that aren't straight up/down/left/right while you're taking the test, because you've practiced it. I'm not even close to sure that the hybrid ones above are right. In fact, I'm really not sure about them right now. If I did a couple diagonal ones with the test feedback, it wouldn't be too bad.

Rubleaa

Let's call the possible answers up, down, right, or left, or a combo of directions when you're not flying in from a direction. Here's what I would put (which isn't to say I didn't blow any of them):

1. Down
2. Up/Left
3. Down
4. Down/Left
5. Down
7. Right
8. Up/Right
9. Right
10. Up/Right
11. Left
12. Up/Left
13. Up
14. Up/Left
15. Left
16. Down/Left

You get A LOT of practice with this on the actual test. It's actually much easier to do the ones that aren't straight up/down/left/right while you're taking the test, because you've practiced it. I'm not even close to sure that the hybrid ones above are right. In fact, I'm really not sure about them right now. If I did a couple diagonal ones with the test feedback, it wouldn't be too bad.
I believe these answers are correct.

Rubleaa

Taking the test in three weeks. Just wondering for those who have taken the new ASTB-E, What should I be using the Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge for other than learning basic flight concepts and components of the plane? Also have the Barron's book with the new (updated) ASTB-E book in the mail. Have these provided decent scores or should I be including anything else? Thank you ladies and gents!

EeeZy

Took the test today on a weeks notice and scored a 53 7/8/8.
I studied:
Accepted Inc. revised math and mechanical
Went to Barnes and Noble over the weekend for about two hours and just did practice exams from every aptitude book they had on the shelf
Atrickpays gouge

Math: One or two word problems, matrix multiplication, fractional exponents, rates, averages and systems of linear equation. No logs though. (Last time I took a math class was 2 years ago)
Reading: Long paragraphs with lots of naval information! Try NOT to zone out.
Mechanical: All questions were pretty much just conceptual (Last time I took a physics class was in high school)
AV-Naut: Had one or two questions that really threw me off about the Air Force.. I guess just try to study anything you can for this section
UAV: I probably took the practice test about 15 times till I got my orientation on the map down and the reaction time to about 1-3 seconds. (I have a powerpoint over this section, message me if you want it)
Listening: Pretty easy, don't worry about it. Just read the directions and you'll be fine. I missed probably only two or three
Tracking: All I can say is good luck… Stay focused and don't stress if you can't keep up with the plane

If you want sample questions just message me.

Last edited:

zarevich

I emailed Accepted.Ink to send me a revised math and mechanical answers. Its been over a month and no answer, anyone else who could send it to me?
Would greatly appreciate it!

John the Mon

1. Down
2. Up/Left
3. Down
4. Down/Left
5. Down
7. Right
8. Up/Right
9. Right
10. Up/Right
11. Left
12. Up/Left
13. Up
14. Up/Left
15. Left
16. Down/Left

I'm confused. is the image on the left suppose to be the position of the plane itself? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated! btw to everyone Great gouges!

EeeZy

I'm confused. is the image on the left suppose to be the position of the plane itself? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated! btw to everyone Great gouges!
Yes, the image on the left is the plane itself and is pointing in the direction of your heading. Now when you look at the image on the right imagine yourself in the cockpit… or camera… approaching from the heading you see on the left.

John the Mon

Yes, the image on the left is the plane itself and is pointing in the direction of your heading. Now when you look at the image on the right imagine yourself in the cockpit… or camera… approaching from the heading you see on the left.
Okay. So the image on the right would be a screen in the cockpit. Each one of those squares is a parking lot, and I just have to keep in mind which one is which and navigate to it. Correct?