• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

rjhl

What I found to be different about it compared to the Gouges, is there were less machine type problems, and more problems which required you to use theory to estimate what WOULD happen IF... ect. There were 2-3 Spring questions on mine, so make sure you go over those. Really make sure you understand why the machines are working and not so much about the equations if that makes sense. From what I can remember, I had zero electrical questions, but others have before me. The new ASTB-E study guides fixed mechanical section really helped me prepare (Make sure you get the second edition, it may not be out yet, but email Accepted Inc. prior to ordering.) The Mechanical Section in other words just makes sense if you look at the problems and analyze whats going on. Give yourself the time as I believe correct answers > # of answers scored.

Again, I haven't taken a math class in 3-4 years, maxed out at Algebra II in high school, then did a brief stats class in community college. In addition, I never took a physics class. So I really had to reteach myself the math and learn basic physics within about a week and a half. Best of luck.

I second the above. The fixed 2nd version of the ASTB-E is now being shipped from Amazon and, overlooking the 1st edition's errors, the customer service for Accepted Inc. was some of the nicest and most responsive I have experienced. Highly recommend purchasing it.

cb812

SNA
Took the ASTB... 58/8/8/8.
Study time: 2-3 weeks
Study Materials: study guides given to me by my recruiter and the Barron's and Peterson's guides

Felt fine on the math section, no logs. The reading section was a bit more challenging from what I have been practicing. The mechanical was very different than the study guides. I did encounter some electrical questions. (Some do, some don't it sounds like) I would recommend getting your hands on the ASTB-E study guide from Accepted Inc.... from other people's posts it sounds like this helped them prepare for the mechanical. (I did not have time to order it) Oh and as rjhl mentioned, do not forget to brush up on your Naval/Aviation history.

Test is pretty straight forward, there was a few WTF moments but for the most part, I felt pretty confident. Do not get caught up on the joystick/throttle section. Just do your best and stay focused.

JBanks

Hey all...took my test today. Got a 50. I ONLY took the OAR, i'm 30 years old so i'm about 12-15 years removed from most of this stuff. I went in most confidently about the math section, studied pretty hard for it. Unfortunately the math was way harder than i expected. Tons of probability problems. Reading was a bit tougher than any practice problems. Mechanical section..pretty good gauge here.

I'm gonna take it again and def learn more complicated probability. Thanks everyone for what they've posted here!

exNavyOffRec

Hey all...took my test today. Got a 50. I ONLY took the OAR, i'm 30 years old so i'm about 12-15 years removed from most of this stuff. I went in most confidently about the math section, studied pretty hard for it. Unfortunately the math was way harder than i expected. Tons of probability problems. Reading was a bit tougher than any practice problems. Mechanical section..pretty good gauge here.

I'm gonna take it again and def learn more complicated probability. Thanks everyone for what they've posted here!

There is a 90 day wait between the exams now and the OAR being a few points higher really isn't a make or break on being selected, given your age and the designators you can apply for I hope you have a tech degree with a high GPA because that is common among the high age limit designators.

JBanks

I'm just going on what my recruiter told me to do. I have 3.0 GPA, 8 years experience working for the FAA and my degree is in mapping and data management.

I guess it'll take a little while to do my application package so i'll have everything ready to go by the next time I take it.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I'm just going on what my recruiter told me to do. I have 3.0 GPA, 8 years experience working for the FAA and my degree is in mapping and data management.

I'm not sure what specific designator you are going for but if you look around you will see common things on those picked up for the designator you are applying for, as an example IW picked only AD people at the last board, AMDO has almost exclusively picked AD time and time again.

exNavyOffRec

I'm going for Dominance Corps Programs.

There is a joke there, but I will refrain.

Information Dominance Corps (IDC) is comprised of IW/IP/Intel, poke around and you can see what those picked up have had as far as background, but a 60 vice 50 on the OAR isn't going to make up for a 3.0 GPA, IDC is a community that turns away a very high percentage of those that apply.

JBanks

Yup...I guess that's why he said go for a higher score, idk. I'm too old for most programs. Something i've always wanted to do and i'm running low on time (with my age) so figured why not. Take the test again, hope for the best and go from there.

And yes, i'm familiar with IW/IP/Intel, was just letting you know.

exNavyOffRec

Yup...I guess that's why he said go for a higher score, idk. I'm too old for most programs. Something i've always wanted to do and i'm running low on time (with my age) so figured why not. Take the test again, hope for the best and go from there.

And yes, i'm familiar with IW/IP/Intel, was just letting you know.

I think you might have misunderstood, the OAR is very low on the radar, so having a 60 compared to a 50 isn't going to do much of anything unless all other things are equal, degree and GPA rank very high for IDC along with AD service, IDC has had for a while the highest percent of AD selections compared to other designators.

You might be better served looking at what you could do to make yourself competitive for reserve officer programs.

zarevich

There is a 90 day wait between the exams now and the OAR being a few points higher really isn't a make or break on being selected, given your age and the designators you can apply for I hope you have a tech degree with a high GPA because that is common among the high age limit designators.
Wait there is a 90 day wait to take the test for second time? Didnt know it changed