• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

I was a little confused too, but I think I have it figured out. But yes. Say the map says north in the corner and the arrow in the middle points to the east. Transfer that knowledge over to the right map. On the right map make east the up direction. From there you can figure out the direction of the parking lot they ask for. From what I understand north will not always be in the corner. Say East is and the arrow in the middle points down. Then you're heading West. Transfer that over to the right map and make west the up direction, then figure out the parking lot.

Mitigates

Pro-Rec Y SNA
I was a little confused too, but I think I have it figured out. But yes. Say the map says north in the corner and the arrow in the middle points to the east. Transfer that knowledge over to the right map. On the right map make east the up direction. From there you can figure out the direction of the parking lot they ask for. From what I understand north will not always be in the corner. Say East is and the arrow in the middle points down. Then you're heading West. Transfer that over to the right map and make west the up direction, then figure out the parking lot.

I was originally stressing about this part, but literally you can practice it as much as you want before you take the graded section. I got my times down to 1.7sec-3.5 sec on average. They started out as 5-7 seconds. I would focus your attention more on other parts of the test.

Took the OAR a few minutes ago, so I'm going to try and get this down fresh in a sort of stream of consciousness style, then edit it later.

Math

Rough. Lots of complicated time consuming equations, some direct (e.g. (-4) - [-4(5-2)(-3) {-3[(9)(4)] -4}] ) and some built into word problems. It wasn't so much difficult in a lot of ways as much as it was frustrating. I felt like I was eating a big time crunch because a lot of the questions seemed to take a long time (and were not easy to reverse engineer with the available answers). It cut me off four minutes early.

Reading

Much harder than I had expected. I read something like 6,000 pages of material a week and have never struggled with reading comprehension, but I had trouble with parts of this. As other have said many questions seemed lifted from regulation books, and many answers were right but not perfectly accurate. It took a fair bit of rereading to confirm which fit and which did not fit, and even then I felt like there were a couple possible answers that really were dependent on how you read a single world. One in particular that jumped out surrounded child /spouse abuse and how preventing it (because it hurts readiness and moral) was the responsibility of commanding officers. One answer choice included something about how "officers shall prevent child / spouse abuse". A lot of that answer felt right, but shall suggest to me that it was an absolute, and I went another direction on it. I ran out of time here.

Physics

I felt like I got smeared across the pavement on this one. I'd focused my study around formulas for pulleys and leavers, circuits, electricity, leavers, edges, pendulums, and so forth, but neglected conversion rates for forms of energy and paid for it badly. There were at least four or five questions that proposed a question in weights but asked for answers in energy that I completely guessed on.

I ate a couple gear questions (which moves fastest if they are all different sizes), but nothing on leavers and very few on electrical matters. No current and no voltage questions. No device identification or anything like that. Nothing on heat exchange. One question on atmospheric pressure. No questions on convection or conduction. One two stroke engine question I guessed on.

You only get 15 minutes for this section (or I only got 15 minutes), but I finished well before that. For most of these questions you will know the answer or you won't, there isn't a whole lot of work involved.

I ended up with an OAR score of 59, which was a little disappointing to me.

I felt like if I had taken the time study a little more (I put in maybe six hours in the two weeks before I took the test) I could have done much better, especially on the physics and math sections (which I haven’t looked at in four or five years).

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Took the OAR a few minutes ago, so I'm going to try and get this down fresh in a sort of stream of consciousness style, then edit it later.
Reading

Much harder than I had expected. I read something like 6,000 pages of material a week and have never struggled with reading comprehension, but I had trouble with parts of this. As other have said many questions seemed lifted from regulation books, and many answers were right but not perfectly accurate. It took a fair bit of rereading to confirm which fit and which did not fit, and even then I felt like there were a couple possible answers that really were dependent on how you read a single world. One in particular that jumped out surrounded child /spouse abuse and how preventing it (because it hurts readiness and moral) was the responsibility of commanding officers. One answer choice included something about how "officers shall prevent child / spouse abuse". A lot of that answer felt right, but shall suggest to me that it was an absolute, and I went another direction on it. I ran out of time here.
The definitions below are Navy definitions; it will help:
Shall - Means a procedure that is mandatory.
Should - Means a procedure that is recommended.
May - "May" and "need not" mean procedure is optional.
Will - Indicates futurity and never indicates any degree of requirement for application of a procedure.

The definitions below are Navy definitions; it will help:
Shall - Means a procedure that is mandatory.
Should - Means a procedure that is recommended.
May - "May" and "need not" mean procedure is optional.
Will - Indicates futurity and never indicates any degree of requirement for application of a procedure.

That actually would have helped a great deal with a number of the reading comprehension questions, because a lot of them involved how you wanted to interpret those words. Overall I felt pretty good about that section (I think it carried my 59 overall despite mediocre math and science), but it would have shaved a lot of time off some of the questions.

I'm contemplating retaking it in three months, since the odd of getting my package together in time for the March boards are pretty much nil. My recruiter insists that 59 is a very good score though, and since you are required to use your latest score that testing again is tempting fate. Like I said, I felt like I left a lot on the table.

jhyre1

This is my first post on here and i want to say thanks to everyone and pay back all the help this website has given me.
I just finished the ASTB-E apex 4 I scored 55 6/7/6

background about me:
I am a college freshman in my second semester 3.25 GPA. I was nervous considering everyone on here seemed to be a 22 year old engineer with a private pilot license. Don't let that discourage you if you're like me; just work harder. I started preparing about 2 months in advance with Barrons book, the new ASTB-E study guide by accepted inc., and the gouge here.

I would recommend something to study the aviation information part too, because the information in those ^ study guides was very basic and only helpful on maybe 5 problems.

a little strategy- bring a watch and time yourself so you know where you're at, it is more important to answer accurately than quickly i think, but you don't want to waste a lot of time on 1 question.

OAR
Math: Not as difficult as i thought. Problems about averages, probability, distance and time, some algebra, and a couple that had to deal with perimeter or area. The math portion in the ASTB-E study guide was perfect.

Reading: Again very similar to the practice tests only difference was the information they wanted you to infer was mostly military. ONLY choose the answer you can find in the reading even if you know one answer is correct based on your outside knowledge. this is where it will try to trick you.

Mechanical: Know pulleys, concepts behind wedges, concept of gears, relationship between distance and force on levers and know Bournelli's principle. there was 1 electricity problem. Study guide was very helpful.

Aviation and Nautical information: This was where I wish I would have focused more time. Neither study guide was very effective. Asked information about instruments, aircraft designations, and some basic stuff like parts of an aircraft/ship and what they do. The study guide part for this wasn't a waste of time, it just didn't go in depth enough.

PBM:
READ THE DIRECTIONS
It will show you two pictures. On the left is a map and the angle you are approaching a building, with north being the top of the map. On the right is what you see out of the cockpit looking at a building with 4 parking lots. each parking lot is in a cardinal direction. based on the 1st picture you will identify which parking lot is in the specific cardinal direction it asks for. its scored on quickness and accuracy. Unlimited practice, so use it. i honestly wouldn't worry about this, i learned how to do it efficiently on the practice problems

Next you listen to one ear specifically for even or odd numbers and press a button based on what it tells you.
Then you will try to follow an airplane in a 1 dimensional box.
Then you try to follow it in a 2d box
Finally you will do all 3 together.

This is very challenging. Biggest thing is to stay calm even if you're not doing well, its easy to get overwhelmed.
Really can't study for this but at least you will know what to expect. The rest of the test will be about personality. Its difficult questions like: Which best describes you? "I often talk back to authority" or "I will lie about a mistake" Answer which you would be more likely to do and keep going. Some of these I had to just stare at for a minute.

Sorry for taking up so much space, hope the gouge helps. My recruiter said PFT, and GPA are looked at before how high the ASTB scores are when considering boards. PFT is 290 and improving. If anyone has information about this or what my chances of getting selected look like please post. Trying to decide if i should retake it. Thanks.

This is my first post on here and i want to say thanks to everyone and pay back all the help this website has given me.
I just finished the ASTB-E apex 4 I scored 55 6/7/6

background about me:
I am a college freshman in my second semester 3.25 GPA. I was nervous considering everyone on here seemed to be a 22 year old engineer with a private pilot license. Don't let that discourage you if you're like me; just work harder. I started preparing about 2 months in advance with Barrons book, the new ASTB-E study guide by accepted inc., and the gouge here.

I would recommend something to study the aviation information part too, because the information in those ^ study guides was very basic and only helpful on maybe 5 problems.

a little strategy- bring a watch and time yourself so you know where you're at, it is more important to answer accurately than quickly i think, but you don't want to waste a lot of time on 1 question.

OAR
Math: Not as difficult as i thought. Problems about averages, probability, distance and time, some algebra, and a couple that had to deal with perimeter or area. The math portion in the ASTB-E study guide was perfect.

Reading: Again very similar to the practice tests only difference was the information they wanted you to infer was mostly military. ONLY choose the answer you can find in the reading even if you know one answer is correct based on your outside knowledge. this is where it will try to trick you.

Mechanical: Know pulleys, concepts behind wedges, concept of gears, relationship between distance and force on levers and know Bournelli's principle. there was 1 electricity problem. Study guide was very helpful.

Aviation and Nautical information: This was where I wish I would have focused more time. Neither study guide was very effective. Asked information about instruments, aircraft designations, and some basic stuff like parts of an aircraft/ship and what they do. The study guide part for this wasn't a waste of time, it just didn't go in depth enough.

PBM:
READ THE DIRECTIONS
It will show you two pictures. On the left is a map and the angle you are approaching a building, with north being the top of the map. On the right is what you see out of the cockpit looking at a building with 4 parking lots. each parking lot is in a cardinal direction. based on the 1st picture you will identify which parking lot is in the specific cardinal direction it asks for. its scored on quickness and accuracy. Unlimited practice, so use it. i honestly wouldn't worry about this, i learned how to do it efficiently on the practice problems

Next you listen to one ear specifically for even or odd numbers and press a button based on what it tells you.
Then you will try to follow an airplane in a 1 dimensional box.
Then you try to follow it in a 2d box
Finally you will do all 3 together.

This is very challenging. Biggest thing is to stay calm even if you're not doing well, its easy to get overwhelmed.
Really can't study for this but at least you will know what to expect. The rest of the test will be about personality. Its difficult questions like: Which best describes you? "I often talk back to authority" or "I will lie about a mistake" Answer which you would be more likely to do and keep going. Some of these I had to just stare at for a minute.

Sorry for taking up so much space, hope the gouge helps. My recruiter said PFT, and GPA are looked at before how high the ASTB scores are when considering boards. PFT is 290 and improving. If anyone has information about this or what my chances of getting selected look like please post. Trying to decide if i should retake it. Thanks.

I'm guessing you're a Marine Option NROTC mid trying to receive an early flight contract? We're on the same boat. I'm a freshman, 2nd semester and am taking the test in March over my spring break. My MOI told me the contract is not competitive and there's no board. If you make the scores and there's still a contract left, you get a contract.

EMTpilot

Okay. So the image on the right would be a screen in the cockpit. Each one of those squares is a parking lot, and I just have to keep in mind which one is which and navigate to it. Correct?
I found it helpful to just think of it as though it were a bird flying straight ahead and you saw what it saw. Also practice it like 40 times doing the sample questions. It helps a ton.

mdub88

I was one of the first applicants to attempt the new ASTB in early January. I used study guides that completely misled me on the format of the test. I pretty much aced the Math and Reading portions, but did horrible on Mechanical. The joystick/throttle experience wasn't pleasant. I also, had about a month to study for this new test, with practically obsolete study materials.

All-in-all, I scored 47 on my first attempt. The retest is scheduled for the first week in April. All of the MEPS requirements for my package are complete, and the testing score is my primary obstacle. With teaching and coaching experience at the collegiate and secondary level, I believe it will make up for the weakness in other areas. LOR's from a current Lt. Col and civil service exec. should provide an extra boost as well.

There's anticipation for a greater ASTB experience this time around. I hope to post exciting news when positing on this board again. Best wishes to other OCS applicants.

farrelgm

Took the Apex 4 version on Feburary 5th, 2014. Received a score of 63 8/8/8. Thank goodness.

I think multiple people on the thread have provided great insights into how the test feels while taking it. One thing I would like to add is the fact that you might face a section with way more questions than anticipated and then you might finish a section having only been asked half the questions you thought you were going to be asked. For instance, I was only asked a total of 10 questions during the Aviation/Nautical Information section of the test. The first 6 were easy and basic questions and the last four were obviously testing just how in depth my studying went. I knew the first three and had no clue for the final question and it then went straight to the performance based measures section. The key to remember while taking the test is that the computer isn't worried about how many you are getting right compared to others. The computer wants to know how difficult it can go before you stumble and then it rechecks. So if you finish a section quickly don't stress like I did. It doesn't mean you bombed that section.

P.S. Word to the wise. Study reading comprehension. My OAR scored suffered because it took me a few questions to get the hang of it.

Good luck everyone. I hope to meet y'all at OCS and flight school in the future.

Dstamatis

8/8/8 61 Took the test Tuesday the 25th of Feb in Memphis at a Navy recruiting center. What Nate has said is very accurate. The joysticks kind of suck and its meant to be hard, I think more than anything they are looking for improvement and your ability to handle stress.

RockNrolling

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted tips and guides here, especially Nate. I took the old ASTB last December because I had heard it was about to be changed.
I got a 5/5/6 67 and just missed a passing score for the Marines.
I studied hard and focused on all of the areas mentioned in this thread for a few months.
I took the ASTB again today and, thanks to all of the great gouge here, I got a 7/7/8 64. I'm really grateful to all of you.
I was going to post an in-depth review of the test, but it's all been said in the previous pages. I would be happy to answer any questions if anyone has any though.

Hello Air Warriors,

I am taking the ASTB next week up at NRD Saint Louis. I was wondering if anyone who has recently taken the test could tell me if mathematical formulas for area, volume, perimeter etc.. are provided? On the ASTB website it says "A few formulas are provided" but I"m not sure exactly what they are. If anyone could clarify what formulas they provide you, it would be a big help.

RockNrolling

Hello Air Warriors,

I am taking the ASTB next week up at NRD Saint Louis. I was wondering if anyone who has recently taken the test could tell me if mathematical formulas for area, volume, perimeter etc.. are provided? On the ASTB website it says "A few formulas are provided" but I"m not sure exactly what they are. If anyone could clarify what formulas they provide you, it would be a big help.

I took the ASTB two days ago and from what I remember there were quite a few formulas provided for the math section. I only used the one for volume of a cylinder. But I remember there being formulas for area of a square, triangle, and circle, as well as circumference of a circle. I think they gave a rough number for Pi (3.14) as well. There might been volume of a cube also.

I took the ASTB two days ago and from what I remember there were quite a few formulas provided for the math section. I only used the one for volume of a cylinder. But I remember there being formulas for area of a square, triangle, and circle, as well as circumference of a circle. I think they gave a rough number for Pi (3.14) as well. There might been volume of a cube also.
Thanks for the quick response Rock. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Congratz on the great ASTB score