• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure what that designation stands for. He's a Marine that just got selected for Harriers.
OHARP stands for Officer Home Area Recruiting Program. The person is temporarily (1-2 weeks) working for the recruiter.

navy2014

Well, it sounds like there's at least one person working in recruiting who thinks the new ASTB is harder, and he/she would know more than I would. However... I just got my non-OAR scores and I have a hard time believing the old test would have been easier.

The OAR covers the same stuff, but gives you enough time where it's not a factor anymore. I can't speak to the old version of non-OAR stuff... but I didn't study or prepare for it at all other than to learn the basic parts of a ship and airplane. It didn't feel like it was going well at all, but my score ended up being pretty good.

navy2014

That post didn't come out the way I meant it to... it sounds like I'm bragging that the new one is really easy. It's not. I was so sure that I did badly that I could only laugh by the end. I only meant to say that it seems like the new one should be easier because the OAR sections are the same but with more time per question, and the non-OAR sections, well, I'm not really sure. I did well on the parking lot thing and the dichotic ear test, but didn't know hardly anything in the nautical/aviation information section, and the joystick/throttle sections were so bad for me that I couldn't stop laughing.

Of course, maybe they liked my choices so much in the "would you describe yourself as terrible or awful?" section. Who knows what they do with that.

JBanks

one person's definition of struggling might be different than anothers.

Yeah...but there may be some correlation. The people that are taking the time to come on this site and ask for help with differing means of studying are doing well. Those that think they're just gonna waltz in and take the test....aren't doing so well!

exNavyOffRec

Yeah...but there may be some correlation. The people that are taking the time to come on this site and ask for help with differing means of studying are doing well. Those that think they're just gonna waltz in and take the test....aren't doing so well!

well, 99% of the people that I had take the old version didn't know about this site and most did well, I had engineers take the test cold and get 8's and 9's so I would say background plays a big part in it.

JBanks

well, 99% of the people that I had take the old version didn't know about this site and most did well, I had engineers take the test cold and get 8's and 9's so I would say background plays a big part in it.

Ah, okay. Sounded like a lot of people weren't doing well...but seems like most on this site were!

caburt1

Took the test yesterday for the first time. Got 65 8/7/8

Here's my experience from preparing for the test to putting my headphone down after completing it.

I started preparing for this test about a week before. I found out about the new test half way through my preparation but it did not matter too much though since the OAR portion and the Aviation and Nautical Information Test were pretty much the same. I put together some gouges from this website and resources I found online and practiced them. I also studied the FAA Pilot Handbook, watched documentaries, wiki-ed, and googled anything I did not completely understand. I came across the research paper I have attached below which describes the performance based section. This is a really good paper to read to understand exactly what you will be doing and calm your nerves down. The instructions during the test are very clear and thorough so there is nothing to worry about if you don't read it.

THE TEST

Math

Expect the concepts to be similar to what you practice using the gouges. Averages, probability, word problems and so on. I saw someone mentioned log and matrix multiplication problems in this website but I did not get those problems on the test. The test does seem to get tougher as you get more questions right. I felt like this section ended before the 40 minutes allotted but I am not sure because I was not keeping track of time. Be quick with basic arithmetic and really understand the problems you practice. You should be fine.

Reading Comprehension

I know this is the part I did not do too well on because I would get a difficult question, then, I would probably get it wrong, and a easy question would follow. I was reading over myself and did not understand what the passages were saying most of the time. It was like one of those times when your eyes are reading the text but the brain just goes blank. I got myself to calm down and concentrate which probably made me improve in the last 10 minutes. After this section, I had my hopes down and was already thinking about how to prepare for my second ASTB.

Mechanical Comprehension

The gouges were very helpful. Make sure you know everything about pressure, kinetic and potential energy, work, momentum, levers, mechanical advantage and pretty much every other basic physics concepts.

Aviation and Nautical Information Test

Questions were mostly about parts of airplanes and basics of flight. I had no naval aviation history or airport signs and such. It also felt like this section went by really quickly.

Naval Aviation Trait Facet Inventory

Most of the questions were difficult...as in you look bad no matter what you choose from the two options given. Just make sure you give honest answers and do not try to game it to make it look like you are Mother Theresa because I think it knows when you are honest. I noticed a few questions were repeated and a few questions were worded differently with similar choices. I am guessing that's how they find out if you are honest.

Questions were like:

A. I get nervous when I am under pressure.
B. I don't drive when it's raining because I am not confident with my driving ability.

Performance Based Measures Battery

Reading the attached document would help but it's not necessary. The instructions during the test are very thorough and clear. Each section is also preceded by a practice session. Make the most out of the practice and take some time to understand what to do....especially in the part where they ask you to determine the cardinal direction because this is the only practice session that does not have a time limit. I also took some time to get comfortable with the joystick and the throttle.

Overall, I would say the test was pretty challenging. I never got to take the old ASTB but I think the new one is more challenging because of all the uncertainty. The level of difficulty of the questions change, you can't go back to finish answering questions, you can only answer once i.e. once you click a button, the computer automatically moves on to the next question, and there are portions you can't prepare for at home.

Despite all this, it is definitely doable.

Woah, that was long. Let me know if I didn't make myself clear somewhere or if guys have any questions. More than happy to share my experience.

Attachments

• Study.pdf
    470.6 KB · Views: 680

Rhodri Vista

@cal1980 @JBanks Hey bros! Sorry it too so long for me to respond! Cal good luck on your test tomorrow!

Ok so let me explain my experience with the ASTB....It was not the hardest of tests, but I still did not get the scores that I wanted. The OAR are pretty straight forward. You are now timed and you have to answer as many questions you can in that given time frame. Its no longer 30 min 25 questions guaranteed. The computer is also adaptive, so if you got enough answers right it will tell you to stop, or vice versa (I got stopped on the math section with about 3-4 min. left). Reading is pretty straight forward. The Mechanical Comprehension was pretty hard. There was nothing from the study guide that I found on here that was on the test! But after reading the questions on this section I felt it gave me enough information for me to guesstimate.

The aviation part, for me was overwhelming to say the least. There is a series of random questions they ask you and you have to choose which 'best' describe you which sucks because they will give you scenarios thats nothing like you...for instance it asked something like 'I am more likely to bend the rules if there is no serious consequences VS. I will admit to my mistakes and learn from them' something along those lines. The hardest part though was the actual flight simulator. It takes you into 3 steps to ease you into it. First the headphones; you listen first on one ear depending on what ear you will have to listen for specific things, but all you will be trying to listening to is even and odd numbers. On the left its odd numbers, right its even. So they will give you a series on each ear individually. For instance Left ear:A, C, 4, W, E, 8, 1- 1 is the number you are looking for.

Then for the flight simulator they do individual tests on the throttle and joystick. For both parts you have to try to line you the cross-hairs with the plane as much and as long as possible. All of these parts are fairly easy when you do them by themselves, but at the very end they combine ALL of them. So you are listening for both even and odd numbers in your ears, you have to catch the plane with the throttle(just going up and down), and you have to catch the other plane with the joystick(every direction). As a result....I guess I am not meant to be a pilot lol.

Don't hype up the test too much guys! Obviously you want to do well 1) because you only get 3 times to take it and 2) you don't want to take time out again to study for the test again. But it is just like any other test. I am pretty sure you guys didn't take your SAT's more then 3 times. So relax! Personally, I think I hyped it up too much and the guys on here who post their amazing scores made it seem like it was a walk in the park. But now I know what it is like, and I can better adjust what I should focus on when I prep take the test again.

Again sorry for the late response and I hope this helped! Cal I hope this gets to you in time! And if you guys have anymore questions feel free to hit me up!

Good luck to both of you!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok so let me explain my experience with the ASTB....It was not the hardest of tests, but I still did not get the scores that I wanted.

So what exactly were your scores? I question the validity of your post when you say it was an easy test but you did not get the score you wanted.

Adaptive tests should be difficult in order to test your depth of knowledge....unless, of course, you are a rocket scientist, then it would be easy, which I'm guessing is not the case? The other option is that you kept missing so many questions that the computer gave up on you and moved you to the next section. :D

Which one was it?

Rhodri Vista

Lets just say my test score is not competitive enough to move forward. It was 'easy' in the sense that I was relieved once I finally took it and that I survived. While I was studying I felt like I was studying for a test that was a matter of life and death. My emphasis on 'make or break' mentality created stress and anxiety. When I was in the room taking the exam I was worried I was not answering enough questions, or I keep getting them wrong, worrying if I had enough time etc. which ultimately leading me to get a bad score. BUT once it was done I felt the relief off my shoulders because I know what to expect now when I take it again. In regards to whether I got the questions right or wrong which is why I got cut short or not enough time I couldn't tell you, but my score reflects those signs. Hope that clears it up. @ea6bflyr

Lets just say my test score is not competitive enough to move forward. It was 'easy' in the sense that I was relieved once I finally took it and that I survived. While I was studying I felt like I was studying for a test that was a matter of life and death. My emphasis on 'make or break' mentality created stress and anxiety. When I was in the room taking the exam I was worried I was not answering enough questions, or I keep getting them wrong, worrying if I had enough time etc. which ultimately leading me to get a bad score. BUT once it was done I felt the relief off my shoulders because I know what to expect now when I take it again. In regards to whether I got the questions right or wrong which is why I got cut short or not enough time I couldn't tell you, but my score reflects those signs. Hope that clears it up. @ea6bflyr

Keep at it! Perseverance is a virtue!