• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

Rhodri Vista

Ok! After reading this thread my nerves are out of control! I am taking my test in 4 days (Jan 17) and I have been studying diligently. I seem to have a grasp on every topic that will be thrown at me, but the closer I get to the test day I question my abilities on if I would be able to get a competitive score on the test. I still do not understand what the Apex 4 section is about? Can someone clarify it for me so I can brush up on it so I do not completely bomb that section please! @Notorious Nate

Renegade One

None
Ok! After reading this thread my nerves are out of control!
Understand your anxiety, but relax. ;) This isn't your final "pass or flunk" NATOPS check in whatever aircraft you will eventually fly…it's meant to measure your "basic aptitude" for flight training. Most folks like yourself have that in abundance. Do your best, to be sure, but this isn't rocket surgery… :)

Last edited:

brogdawg32

So I took it today. got 50/6/7/5, the test was difficult for me. It only asked me 10 math questions (wtf) then moved on. Mechanical comprehension was difficult, but I knew it would be coming in.

What surprised me is that I was a hopeful for the Air Force OTS and took the AFOQT/TBAS about a month ago. I got a 79/85/95/86/95 on that, with my math section being a 95. I felt like I would have no problems with the math section but it asked me vague concepts and did not give me the chance to answer hard word problems (which I actually do well at).

The joystick part was difficult, but I think anyone who has taken the TBAS from the Air Force knows the TBAS is much harder. The ASTB lets you use a throttle as the secondary tracking, the Air Force makes you use foot pedals. Foot pedals with dichotic listening...yeah, good luck.

I was just surprised coming from a relatively high AFOQT scores how I did right at/below average on my OAR. I'm not a crazy intellect but I am a very good test taker and have been my whole life (2250 SAT, 32 ACT, always do well on school tests using logic/guessing well), but the adaptive portion of this test took that skill away from me.

I used all the old study books (baron, petersons, etc) and the one new book that says it is specifically for the ASTB-E.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

So I took it today. got 50/6/7/5, the test was difficult for me. It only asked me 10 math questions (wtf) then moved on. Mechanical comprehension was difficult, but I knew it would be coming in.

What surprised me is that I was a hopeful for the Air Force OTS and took the AFOQT/TBAS about a month ago. I got a 79/85/95/86/95 on that, with my math section being a 95. I felt like I would have no problems with the math section but it asked me vague concepts and did not give me the chance to answer hard word problems (which I actually do well at).

The joystick part was difficult, but I think anyone who has taken the TBAS from the Air Force knows the TBAS is much harder. The ASTB lets you use a throttle as the secondary tracking, the Air Force makes you use foot pedals. Foot pedals with dichotic listening...yeah, good luck.

I was just surprised coming from a relatively high AFOQT scores how I did right at/below average on my OAR. I'm not a crazy intellect but I am a very good test taker and have been my whole life (2250 SAT, 32 ACT, always do well on school tests using logic/guessing well), but the adaptive portion of this test took that skill away from me.

I used all the old study books (baron, petersons, etc) and the one new book that says it is specifically for the ASTB-E.

I had many applicants that applied/took AFOQT before coming to me, from MY experience those that took the AFOQT and then took the ASTB did poorer on the ASTB, not sure how the 2 correlate but I had many disappointed applicants trying to figure out how they could blow the AFOQT away but do so average on the ASTB, so you are not alone on this.

brogdawg32

I had many applicants that applied/took AFOQT before coming to me, from MY experience those that took the AFOQT and then took the ASTB did poorer on the ASTB, not sure how the 2 correlate but I had many disappointed applicants trying to figure out how they could blow the AFOQT away but do so average on the ASTB, so you are not alone on this.

Good to know I'm not alone. I definitely will say that taking the TBAS helped a ton on the PBM section. Everything else baffled me as to how I could be so prepared for one test and so...not....for the other.

Navy Ship

So...just more proof that the Navy clearly has higher standards than the Air Force

Navy Ship

So I took it today. got 50/6/7/5
If your GPA is good you may have a shot with current acceptance rates (which I've heard are pretty high). I've heard of people (on Airwarriors) getting Pro-Rec'd with ASTB scores similar to yours and GPA's around the 2.8 - 3.0 range. Although, they may have had some "extras" to their package.

brogdawg32

If your GPA is good you may have a shot with current acceptance rates (which I've heard are pretty high). I've heard of people (on Airwarriors) getting Pro-Rec'd with ASTB scores similar to yours and GPA's around the 2.8 - 3.0 range. Although, they may have had some "extras" to their package.

My recruiter thinks I have a good shot at being selected. 3.5 in college, valedictorian in high school, captain of lacrosse team in college, been working since 14. Large navy history (grandpa in Arlington, grandma was WAVES, dad and uncle). Strong letters of Rec and personal statement.

Keeping my fingers crossed for MEPS to go thru quick so I can try for this SNA rolling board

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If your GPA is good you may have a shot with current acceptance rates (which I've heard are pretty high).
My recruiter thinks I have a good shot at being selected. 3.5 in college, valedictorian in high school, captain of lacrosse team in college, been working since 14. Large navy history (grandpa in Arlington, grandma was WAVES, dad and uncle). Strong letters of Rec and personal statement.

Keeping my fingers crossed for MEPS to go thru quick so I can try for this SNA rolling board
Agree with Navy Ship, I think you have a good shot for SNA (or SNFO), IF PQ for aviation. In the meantime, spit shine your package and submit ASAP.;)
BzB

Rhodri Vista

@Notorious Nate Hey guys! my test is tomorrow! (1/17) To say I'm nervous is an understatement. I am just doing my final reviews today, but trying to keep it a short study session so I have time to relax and calm my nerves. I have a question about the APEX 4...Do they give you an actual joystick for you to be tested on? Is this section about aviation and being behind the 'wheel'?...Because I just imagine I will be at a regular station with a mouse and monitor....If anyone could clarify this up for me I'd appreciate it.

Notorious Nate

I'll just quote what I said in the first post:

Performance Based Measures

First part was pretty simple. They show you a North up map, and a symbol of which way you are facing. Then there is a picture of a building and four parking lots and they ask you which one is in which cardinal direction. You need to be fast and accurate for this. They change around the direction you're facing and it can get a bit disorienting. Make some flash cards and practice.

Then you're given a joystick, a throttle, and a headset. First, they start you off by telling you which ear to listen in. Then, you click a button on the stick if you hear an odd number in that ear, and press a button on the throttle if you hear an even number in that ear. Random strings of letters and numbers are fed into both ears. You do that for a bit, then they tell you to use the throttle to track an airplane. The screen is divided into a narrow track on the left with an aircraft symbol in it. It moves up and down and you push the throttle forward to move your pipper up and down to chase it. Not really any good prep for this part. Then you do the same thing with the stick on the rest of the screen, but the plane moves all around. The joystick setup is annoying, and the axes don't make sense. I felt like I was doing it backwards at first. It's not intuitive at all, even for a guy who had all his joysticks set up inverted. Then you get to do both at the same time. You're probably not going to be close to either much of the time, but manage the throttle and the stick the best that you can. Then they bring back the numbers and you get to do those at the same time. It's not pretty, but just do your best, it's supposed to be difficult. Lastly, you get to track both and do "emergency procedures". They were pretty stupid, and I'm not 100% certain they even work if you do the right thing.

brogdawg32

Going off this^ one of my 3 emergency measures did not work. The first and third one were fine, the second would not correct even tho I had it set correctly. I was quite mad

brogdawg32

Can't really study for it. They tell you what to do very throughly and you try your best to do it.

It'll be frustrating but just keep your composure and finish the test