• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

Rhodri Vista

Can't really study for it. They tell you what to do very throughly and you try your best to do it.

It'll be frustrating but just keep your composure and finish the test

OK Thank you for your advice!
Also will this be its own section? Like the math is 30 questions in 25 min?

Notorious Nate

The OAR portion and the Flight Aptitude portion are taken on different computers. Each part of the Flight Aptitude portion is a different section.

navy2014

OK Thank you for your advice!
Also will this be its own section? Like the math is 30 questions in 25 min?

The math is no longer 30 questions in 25 minutes. All the OAR sections are different, I think, from how I read they would be on the ASTB (compared to the ASTB-E). You now have 40 minutes for math, and no set number of questions. The questions get harder if you get them right, and you go until the computer has figured out how good you are at math. It's not a time crunch anymore, and you can't go back once you've picked an answer. I threw away some questions, thinking I had to finish each in 50 seconds or fall behind, that I probably could have gotten. So be careful.

Reading had enough questions to fill almost all of the time for me, but I did well on that section, I assume, so they got really hard and took a long time to concentrate on. They also became all about military stuff, so I got distracted by all the acronyms and foreign concepts.

Mechanics wasn't a ton of questions.

first time posting. but I've been learning on this site for a few months now.
Just took the test today, got 56,7,8,7.
I'm kinda pleased since I graduated college 3 years ago and have not touched a math or reading test in even longer.
Also I have no experience with flying or mechanical/engineering. So everything I know is from the old study guides I found on this site.
I was leaning toward taking it again but my recruiter said that it's not a bad score and I should go ahead with the application.

Anyways, my thoughts. The original post was spot on.
For me the math was way more difficult than any of the study guides.
Within the 40 minutes (I believe) I did not finish more than 15 quetions. And that is a high estimate, likely closer to 12
I would recommend studying more advanced polynomials (factoring and equations) along with the things mentioned in the original post especially fractional exponents. Also the percentage questions are lengthy. Find the missing score of a test which is worth 20% of the final grade if the final grade is 80% blah de blah. Maybe just one of my weak points, but I struggled with it for a long time.

Another thing I noticed was the first section of the performance based measures (the map and building with parking lots) has a practice section you can do over and over again.
I practiced it multiple times until I was extremely comfortable and then breezed through the section.

I'm having trouble recalling stuff off the top of my head, but if anyone has any questions it's still pretty fresh and I may be able to help.

Navy Ship

Wow nice scores guys!

I'm considering a retake with the new ASTB considering all the great scores. Are there any recruiters out there that have seen an improvement in scores from the old ASTB to the new one?

DPS2114

Just re-took the test and scored a 52 5/5/6. I scored a 46 4/4/4 on the old version. Regardless, my experience with the APEX is below.

Math

There was a mixed bag of questions. No log or no matrices for me. The test is adaptive and I most likely didn't answer enough hard questions correctly in a row to be presented with those types of questions. Some standard alegebra and basic questions you may expect.

Some things that threw me:

I had about three problems that were literal equations. For example:

Solve Q = (c + d)/2 for d
Solve Q = 3a + 5ac for a
Solve A = ( 1/2 )ah – ( 1/2 )bh for h

There was also a literal equation that was raised to a negative exponent that threw me.

There was also a question on a definition.

They provided you with a list of general math equations, Area for a triangle, etc. so dont get bogged down with trying to memorize like I did.

Reading

Most of mine were very long paragraph's, pretty tough. I found it hard to study for these besides just doing different comprehension problems.

Mechanical

Fairly Straight forward. Know your levers and pulleys. I had four electrical questions two of which were definitions. No kinetic or potential energy, no inelastic or elastic collisions.

Two questions were pretty much the same asking if a bullet fired from a gun horizontally and a bullet dropped from the same height, which on will hit the ground first.

Aviation and Nautical

As advertised. Mostly random aviation questions.

The rest of the test is the same as everyone else posted.

Notorious Nate

Wow nice scores guys!

I'm considering a retake with the new ASTB considering all the great scores. Are there any recruiters out there that have seen an improvement in scores from the old ASTB to the new one?

I don't know. It may just be that there's a sharp bunch here on Airwarriors. A buddy of mine that just got winged is on temporary duty as a recruiter and said a lot of people are really struggling with it.

Thank you all for your guidance! I am taking the test in 4 days and I'm nervous as hell! I need good scores to offset my low GPA (2.95).

This being said, ANY AND ALL EXTRA HELP REGARDING THE MATH PORTION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Navy Ship

I don't know. It may just be that there's a sharp bunch here on Airwarriors. A buddy of mine that just got winged is on temporary duty as a recruiter and said a lot of people are really struggling with it.
I agree the people on Airwarriors are a sharp and helpful bunch! They must have been dedicated enough (and had the aptitude and initiative) to have found this website.

Maybe Airwarriors helped its users improve their scores. I was also thinking that people who scored better were more likely to post their scores.

Like NavyOffRec noted, it would help if you could elaborate on what "struggling" means.