• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASIANA Boeing 777 crash landing KSFO

jcj

Current report - 2 dead. Number injured varies, highest number I've heard is about 1o8. Some are critical, apparently with burns and/or inhalation injury from smoke or toxic chemicals released when the cabin burned. Most were able to walk away after egress via the emergency slides.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Did extensive research during graduate program Re CRM as it applied to Asian carriers. I know we don't speculate around here - and I'm NOT suggesting it was a factor, simply offering a few things I learned:

- juniors are very reluctant to question seniors.
- questioning and forceful backup are very foreign concepts to many Asian cultures.

Will now wait for NTSB to do it's work, and remain thankful that the injuries and deaths appear to be limited to the current reports.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The glide slope is out at SFO due to construction. They are moving the antenna to make for a 300 foot displaced threshold as part of a new FAA mandate. I had heard the papis were out intermittently. Weather very good though. Asiana had expat Captains until end of 2011. Pressure from KAL pilots union forced Korean transport ministry to deny visas for foreign pilots. Word was all the ex pats were let go all at once and sent home on the next flight. Has to make you wonder how deep the bench is in the left seat when they were flying ex pat captains until less 19 months ago.

exNavyOffRec

There are some very interesting overhead shots of the beginning of the runway that were on the news, can't find them online but someone who is more computer savvy probably can find them in seconds.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Well, the NTSB all but said Pilot Error...
Throttles left at idle until seconds before impact and airspeed bled below target airspeed of 137 KIAS, called for Go Around 1.3 seconds prior to impact, stick shaker 4 seconds before impact, verbal warning of slow from aircrew 7 seconds before impact, normal engine response....
Fucked that one away boys...