• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Arctic Alpha, out

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
How does the pre-API/ MAP program fit in? MAP took a half a day, we did it after the PFT, and the day before our API brief. Nothing to stress about, just extra info to get you warmed up. Pre-API, they will give you a little check list, it’s a no brainer. When you get your medical up-chit, make copies, and guard the original – it is your golden ticket.

Is it park of the three weeks waiting period? I waited about a week and a half because I checked in early, it is called the waiting pool. Probably because a lot of people spend this time by a swimming pool, or even on the beach. Your time in the pool will vary from weeks to months depending upon how smoothly the pipeline is going. If a Democrat president is elected, it will probably slow down, and the waiting period will grow.

Did you get to pick where you wanted to go for primary? Yes

If so, how did you decide? I remembered what Sgt Hartman said about TX, so I decided to stay in FL.

Do you know how IFS works? No

Do you do it in P-Cola, or can you do it in your hometown? Half of A co is doing it in VA. I hear it is a very fluid program that keeps changing, it will probably be different rules by the time you get there. I have my ppl, so I was disqualified for it.

Does IFS take place before or after you check into MATSG? Before, unless of course they change the rules.

Sorry for so many questions, just curious about how things will unfold. Thanks! Don’t worry about it, hope this helps.

1devildoc

Thanks, yeah that helps alot. I am thinking FL sounds better for primary as well, but what did Sgt Hartman say about TX?

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Lol, I will defer this question to beetle...What exactly did he say about people from Texas?

Just a side note, not everyone got their choice on primary assignment. It depends on how many slots are available, and who wants to go where. The choices were whiting (P’cola), Corpus, or Vance with the AF in OK.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
LOL ..."you dont look much like a steer so that kind of narrows it down"... I'll let Beetle quote the former part of that this quote.

Rayman

If you attend IFS (considering that you have zero flight time), will it affect your time of wait to primary? What is the current situation right now with the transition, I mean from TBS to API and so on...? Thanks.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Rayman, my understanding of IFS is that if you go the PLC route, then you can do it your senior year of college. As for OCC candidates, I don't know.

Jester

pilot
I've got my commerial and instrument tickets so I didn't need to do it, but I am kind of familiar with how it works. IFS is 25 hours of civilian flight instruction in something like a Cessna 172. It is basically 25 hours working toward a PPL. IFS can be done after OCS before you graduate and go to TBS, or after TBS before you go to API. If you do it before TBS you can fly out of where you live. If you do it after TBS you will have do it in the Quantico area and stay in M company.

Now when we went through TBS it was not required for air contracts to do IFS. The program is set up to give the air contracts an opportunity to get an idea of what flying is like and to see if they are really cut out for it. From what I heard at TBS though, is that IFS was going to be required for Lt's that graduate OCS in 2003 and after. If you already have more than 25 hours logged in an airplane you can not do IFS though.

Now doing IFS after TBS might affect your wait into API. It is hard to say what the waits will be like a few months or years from now though. My collegues from TBS doing IFS right now should not have much of a wait when they get down here - the way things are going currently. Hope this helps.

Jester

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, if you do it in your hometown before you commission it's called the FIP (Flight Indoctrination Program) it's all the same except you can do it locally and not around TBS. Trust me, once you finish TBS the LAST thing you want to do is hang out there for another couple of months while you complete your hours.

hmmmm.....I sense quite a bit of jealousy when it comes to TEXAS!!! I think Lt_SNA_USMC (Bobby) put it best: "TEXANS are nothing but a colt" lol I love it!!!

Beetle

1devildoc

How does it work if you are going OCC? Must IFS be done in Quantico after TBS? Is it possible to go PTAD to a command and attend an approved school closer to my home town. The reason I am asking, is my wife will not be accompaning me to TBS, as she is finishing graduate school in California. Further separation after OCS, TBS, and before API does not exactly sound fun. Thanks for all you help!

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
That sounds like something that could maybe happen, but it won’t fall in your lap. You would probably have to jump on the phone, and start making phone calls. Try the MATSG homepage, they have a PTAD site, it may give you some leads, but my guess, and just a guess is that you would have to talk with whom ever is in charge of IFS and try and get special permission. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Rayman

Originally posted by Jester

Now doing IFS after TBS might affect your wait into API. It is hard to say what the waits will be like a few months or years from now though. My collegues from TBS doing IFS right now should not have much of a wait when they get down here - the way things are going currently. Hope this helps.

Jester

This is just what I wanted to know. Thanks Jester.

mccabe1919

1devildoc,
From what I have heard they are now requiring all OCC graduates to complete IFS now before going to the basic school. Hope this helps. Does anyone know if you do this with the other Lt's or on an individual basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.