• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

brogdawg32

"whole person concept" like the guy I had picked up on a board with a selection rate of 25% with a GPA just above 3.0 no community service, no leadership, just went to college, but had 8's and 9's on the ASTB

oh, an he was not the exception, I can't tell you how many people I have seen picked up with 8's or better with pretty much nothing else.
That's great for them. I hope the rest of my packet can make up for said lack of 65/8/8/8, and considering some people with lower scores do get picked up, I'm hoping I'm one of them

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
"whole person concept" like the guy I had picked up on a board with a selection rate of 25% with a GPA just above 3.0 no community service, no leadership, just went to college, but had 8's and 9's on the ASTB

oh, an he was not the exception, I can't tell you how many people I have seen picked up with 8's or better with pretty much nothing else.

Agreed here. Had a kid with a sub 3.0 GPA, 2 alcohol related incidents, but one hell of an Astb score get selected for SNA.

Perhaps the whole person concept applies to SWO, Supply, NUPOC, etc programs?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Well... I mean, your processor plays a big part to get your stuff ready.

Agreed, I've had some terrible processors mess up perfectly-packaged kits or worst yet miss submission deadlines even though I submitted it weeks ago.

Having to call an applicant explaining this circumstance is always the worst...

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
Agreed, I've had some terrible processors mess up perfectly-packaged kits or worst yet miss submission deadlines even though I submitted it weeks ago.

Having to call an applicant explaining this circumstance is always the worst...
Okay all, a question. After the OR turns the kit and everything in, is it normal to say to the applicant that his part of the process is over and I would only deal with the NRD office and my processor directly?

brogdawg32

Perhaps the whole person concept applies to SWO, Supply, NUPOC, etc programs?

Well somehow, someway, people without killer ASTB scores are getting picked up for aviation too. Considering the OR consensus on AW is that whole person doesn't exist, I guess the board plays blindfolded pin the tail on the donkey for the rest of our apps...

The_Pants

Agreed. I will say though, it is maddeningly frustrating having all of my paperwork done, and nothing else for me to turn in or do. Then my application sits on someone's desk for weeks before having anything done with it. I turned my paperwork in the next day or the day after every single time it was requested, only for it to be delayed. I've tried not to speak negatively and if I make this board I'll stay quiet, but if not I'll likely be a little more candid in regard to my experiences.

I'm nearly age critical, I really want out of my current employment situation, and I need to keep my family from finding out about this (a long story in and of itself).
I completely understand your frustration. I'm always on time with my paperwork and finish it within a couple hours. My OR is on my ass to get things done and ensures me "we are pushing through," but I'm not reciprocating the same courtesy. I won't even get into it...but would it be a good idea to call my NRD

Kees

SNA Select
I have a 47....

I have a 45 OAR dude. With my background, I should easily be pushing 50+/7/7/7 or better, but I was overconfident and didn't prepare for the test like I should have. This cost me big time on the ASTB. Not to mention I missed the last five consecutive boards as a result of paperwork and now I am within a year of the age limit.

However, I know I am capable, I know this is what I was called to do, I know I will not give up, and I know I will succeed in flight training when--not if--I am given the opportunity.

Remember, the board (supposedly) looks at the whole person--none of us are perfect. Try to be positive and brush up on the things you need to brush up on. If you do that, you should be good-to-go by the time you get to OCS/API. If non-select, study and retake the ASTB.

A little faith and prayer goes a long way as well. It has for me.

Best of luck this week gentlemen. Cheers!

Last edited:

varlogkern

I completely understand your frustration. I'm always on time with my paperwork and finish it within a couple hours. My OR is on my ass to get things done and ensures me "we are pushing through," but I'm not reciprocating the same courtesy. I won't even get into it...but would it be a good idea to call my NRD
Well for me I've been dealing directly with my processor, and I don't even call my OR anymore, since he said essentially not to (He didn't say to not call him, but that I would work directly with NRD now and his part was done). Well my processor was sick for a week, and a bunch of other things that went wrong along the way in regard to timing. I don't want to come across as whiny, but my overall experience hasn't been the best. That said, it is in the past, and as long as I make this board, I'll spare the biblical length circumstances, and delays that lead to this point.

Praying, hoping, doing things to take my mind off of it are the only things keeping me sane. I think the worst part is not knowing at all. At least if I was in FINSEL purgatory, I could at least plan that eventually it would play out going to OCS, but right now it is completely in the air. So yeah, back to studying the gouge.

Bronco

Lurking Member
Brodawg, you wanna know how to really lift... listen to this guy girl
;) FIFY

Then again my package didn't make it to the board...most likely. Is it possible to request a new OR...not even kidding.
This is my second time around the toilet bowl so to speak... I would recommend against switching ORs. I switched NRDs (not because I wasn't happy, just split two and ended up getting in communication with a different person) and it's meant more paperwork/time/written statements/MEPS redo/blah/blah.

Agreed. I will say though, it is maddeningly frustrating having all of my paperwork done, and nothing else for me to turn in or do. Then my application sits on someone's desk for weeks before having anything done with it. I turned my paperwork in the next day or the day after every single time it was requested, only for it to be delayed. I've tried not to speak negatively and if I make this board I'll stay quiet, but if not I'll likely be a little more candid in regard to my experiences.
See above, second time around the toilet bowl, it happens no matter how awesome or not awesome your OR is, no matter how much or how little they communicate with you. It does help to have your processor's phone number or the next up the chain above your OR... not to call them all the time and complain be a dick but because they know more (if your OR hasn't been on the block long).

Mozart

I've been watching a JAG marathon for the past few weeks, trying to keep my head off boards LOL. I have them all on DVD. Yes, Q the insults. I'm a little older than some of you and my dad was in desert storm, so I grew up watching Commander Rabb while my dad was deployed. Just for a cherry on top, Top Gun is ONE of my favorite movies. I can rem sitting in a F-14 cockpit way back pretending to be Iceman (as everyone knows he was better), best memories ever.

As tmrw might be a holy day for some of you. I assume some will be doing a certain religious tradition when a miracle is needed. Good luck to all and see you on the other side.

varlogkern

;) FIFY

This is my second time around the toilet bowl so to speak... I would recommend against switching ORs. I switched NRDs (not because I wasn't happy, just split two and ended up getting in communication with a different person) and it's meant more paperwork/time/written statements/MEPS redo/blah/blah.

See above, second time around the toilet bowl, it happens no matter how awesome or not awesome your OR is, no matter how much or how little they communicate with you. It does help to have your processor's phone number or the next up the chain above your OR... not to call them all the time and complain be a dick but because they know more (if your OR hasn't been on the block long).

To the part replying to my post, I don't have any interested in changing NRDs or ORs at this point in the process. And really, nothing else I can do at this point besides wait. I text my processor once a week asking if there is any new info, and leave it at that (that said if we were farther out, I'd do it every two weeks or so).

Last edited:

varlogkern

No you still work directly with the OR.
Okay that is what I figured. Thanks for the response. That would explain why I was so confused when I was told that I would work directly with NRD and my processor from that point on.

Last edited: