• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

Mozart

Are physical fitness scores that important?

I'm sitting at about a 10 min 1.5 mile(at Denver alt), 65 push-ups, and 75 curl-ups. I figure I am pretty solid, but looking at the info some of you are posting I feel like I should step it up. I plan on spending the month before training very hard, as I will have nothing else to do. I have a friend in special forces who said he would help me.

On another note. I cant really swim. So I need to work on that. ;P

theghettodefendant

None
Are physical fitness scores that important?

I'm sitting at about a 10 min 1.5 mile(at Denver alt), 65 push-ups, and 75 curl-ups. I figure I am pretty solid, but looking at the info some of you are posting I feel like I should step it up. I plan on spending the month before training very hard, as I will have nothing else to do. I have a friend in special forces who said he would help me.

On another note. I cant really swim. So I need to work on that. ;P

Your prt scores have no bearing on your OCS packet.

Mozart

O I know, I wasn't referring to OCS. Sorry for not being specific. I was referring to competition when we want to select what we want to fly. Basically, what are prt scores used for?

theghettodefendant

None
O I know, I wasn't referring to OCS. Sorry for not being specific. I was referring to competition when we want to select what we want to fly. Basically, what are prt scores used for?
Oh haha gotcha well you have to score high enough on your PRT at OCS and you're easily in the passing range, but what role PRT scores play in aircraft selection I don't know.

brogdawg32

So I read somewhere that your feet no longer have to be touching on the pushups, that it was dropped a few years back. Is that true and we can do normal shoulder width or do heels still need to touch?

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Applied SNA only, no flight experience. Dad (ret 0-6 na) told me the NFOs get coffee for the pilots, so I figured it's better to be the best :)
Lol. I hope that statement isn't serious.
HAHA selection?! Just finish OCS.

Mr Spenz

pilot
So I read somewhere that your feet no longer have to be touching on the pushups, that it was dropped a few years back. Is that true and we can do normal shoulder width or do heels still need to touch?
To stay in the navy. Just stay in shape. Trust me get your PFA scores up because they will fall when you are sleep deprived and DI's eyeball you.

brogdawg32

Lol it's a push-up. Toes on the ground and elbows at 90 degrees. You will be corrected by your class team.
Why the hell would I wait until I get to OCS to rep the type of push-up I would be required to do? Different stress on different muscles depending on foot positioning. Do they stop the count if your heels come apart or has that changed?

If I was training to see how many reps of 225 I could do on bench for a competition, and if you have your grip too wide or narrow they stop your count, and I came on here and asked which spacing on the grip is allowed...your answer is the equivalent of just bench bro you'll find out the day of the competition.

Mr Spenz

pilot
Why the hell would I wait until I get to OCS to rep the type of push-up I would be required to do? Different stress on different muscles depending on foot positioning. Do they stop the count if your heels come apart or has that changed?

If I was training to see how many reps of 225 I could do on bench for a competition, and if you have your grip too wide or narrow they stop your count, and I came on here and asked which spacing on the grip is allowed...your answer is the equivalent of just bench bro you'll find out the day of the competition.
You want answers before OCS? There are none because it's all a mental game. Sorry I went through OCS and now understand it. You are worried to much about something you can control. Even if you do a perfect push up they will find something wrong if they decide to mess with you.

brogdawg32

Again, what impact does that have on my TRAINING? I have COMPLETE control over my own training so why not do as much as I can on my end the RIGHT way.

Multiple posts in a row to different people ignoring their questions, because you think they're stupid. Poor people skills.

If you're coming in here to be helpful that's awesome, but you're not being helpful and it looks like you're more about stroking your own ego about making it through OCS.

Mr Spenz

pilot
Again, what impact does that have on my TRAINING?

Multiple posts in a row to different people ignoring their questions, because you think they're stupid. Poor people skills.

If you're coming in here to be helpful that's awesome, but you're not being helpful and it looks like you're more stroking your own ego about making it through OCS.
Not at all. You are asking about specifics that really don't matter because in the end your class team can decide what is right or wrong. Do a few pfa's and just be in shape. There is nothing more you can do. Honestly a good workout for OCS is insanity. But hey do what you feel is right.

brogdawg32

That answer from the beginning would have been fine. What did your class team say was acceptable?

Madcows 5x5 with the SEAL PTG is what I'm doing. PT part of OCS won't be an issue, just figured I'd try and replicate the correct movement instead of an incorrect one

Mr Spenz

pilot
You will have a brief on it before you ever do it. Just focus on getting accepted and staying in shape that's all you control.