• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2012

exNavyOffRec

That's BDCP (Best Damn Commissioning Program) A.K.A. MITB for Officer Programs.

In a nutshell, full active duty benefits, salary, leave accruement and time in service as far as 3 years out just to go to college and go to OCS in a designator of your choice. Hands down the best commissioning source objectively.

That was probably it, before they shut it down they stopped selecting anyone greater than 24 months out, and when they have spots they will probably do the same again.

DCrow

SNA Primary
Okay, that makes sense then. Thanks for the insight!

Guy was brilliant so probably deserved it. Going the Nuclear Energy route after graduating from Duke with degrees in Mathematics and Mandarin.

If he was going nuke, it is called the Nuclear propulsion officer candidate program. Identical to the bdcp benefits described above, except you start out as an e6 vice e3 which is what a bdcp candidate starts out as. Students I have had selected make over 3700 bucks per month, and that is on the lower end of cost of living... If you are in San Diego or some place similar...you are definitely making some cash... My guys make over $40k per year as it is though... Not bad...

BackOrdered

Contributor
I think the time in service is the major deal breaker. I put on LT this year with 6 years on the book, that's a significant difference in pay. I can also plan for retirement as a junior O-5 or even perhaps as a senior O-4 if I play my cards right. With what I do now, starting a second career earlier helps alot!

exNavyOffRec

An OR cannot work with you, we are prohibited from doing so, we can give basic advice such as competitive scores, board dates, and results. We are not trained on the 1420 and often know as much as we can read and you can do the same. I will say that I have worked with many officers who were prior enlisted over my many years that I knew as enlisted, and if they were unhappy as enlisted they were generally unhappy as an officer, when you go from one to another there is no "happy pill" that makes everything better, everyone deals with crap no matter how new you are or what rank you are, so look at what you can do to make yourself happy where you are at now, the interviewers will be able to read you and my guess is will hear some stuff from the officers you work for as well.

Angemc27

Good incite. I still need to be in touch with the OR in order to schedule a time for the ASTB exam, that was the point I was making. As far as the other stuff, I have been asked by countless officers, "Why are you not an Officer?" I am motivated and driven to advance my career, and my COC see's that day in and day out. I have scene numerous people advance faster with less just because they went to a command before myself. I'm not unhappy with Navy life just a flawed sytem.

Angemc27

that's me bro

don't sweat the evals. That is what happens when you're an e3. Takes a bit to get a observed eval at a command especially if you are going thru c schools and stuff. I filled out the tattoo screening and anthro measurements myself.

and please stop with the "I deserve an ep" attitude, it does nothing and only pisses off your senior rater. The enlisted side isn't bad, you got a roof on your head, a paycheck and food. Don't complain. Work hard, get quals, collateral duties, and study for advancement,

I am saying I am receiving an EP, not an attitude of deserving an EP. I'm sure it was a misinterpretation but I'm certainly not complaining by any means, quals are only earned when they are available and at my shore command there is none available, unless I am on a deployment which I have also been turned down for due to my rank. As for studying how much more studying can I do when I score in 90th percentile, my last 3 exams. Trust me I deal with "crap" everyday and I certainly work hard. If that is what you took away from my post I obviously grossly misworded it. No worries.

exNavyOffRec

In many districts the OR doesn't give the ASTB, it is a test administrator that can is a support person (military or civilian), so you need to find out which the district close to you has.

Have you taken the ASTB before?

Angemc27

Yes, I took it in Raleigh and need to retake it. I'm not so much in a hurry to retake it now becuase I'm not going to try and rush my package for the July boards, I will just wait for Jan. The only number I could track down was the OR's, and I had to contact several people just to get that. I will try to look up the recruiting offices number though.

Angemc27

I weighed that option, but I want to do well on the ASTB and, on the off chance I don't get competing scores on this chance I only have one more and I would have to wait until Jan boards by then anyway. My other restriction is my PRK, which I won't be able to receive a flight physical till my 3 month clearance, which won't be until my June appointment.

exNavyOffRec

I weighed that option, but I want to do well on the ASTB and, on the off chance I don't get competing scores on this chance I only have one more and I would have to wait until Jan boards by then anyway. My other restriction is my PRK, which I won't be able to receive a flight physical till my 3 month clearance, which won't be until my June appointment.

If you can retake the ASTB before the new version comes out and still don't do good enough then the times taken resets with the new version, this is per Pensacola, what were your last scores?

Angemc27

4/4/4/ 43...I took form 4 on the computer in April. I don't understand I thought you could only take form 3,4,5 once each with a 31 day's in between your 1st and second and 91 day's in between 2nd and 3rd?

exNavyOffRec

4/4/4/ 43...I took form 4 on the computer in April. I don't understand I thought you could only take form 3,4,5 once each with a 31 day's in between your 1st and second and 91 day's in between 2nd and 3rd?

A new test is coming out replacing the current ones, so everything resets, supposed to start on or about June 1st.