• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2012

RobotSailor

Weller-known Member
Talk about a fast turn-around. Congrats!

Thanks! Tell me about it, though. I feel like I don't even have time to breathe.

so you already got the final select letter?

Not yet. I think it's coming through now though.

Congrats! Spend a night celebrating and then better get started on that memorization!

Luckily, since I was in DEP...I already know a lot of the gouge.

Guys,
Another follow up question. I'm a naturalized citizen and after speaking with OCS process, he told me that I would have to officially renounce my citizenship from the country I was born in (Ukraine), even though I already did it myself. Does anyone know how long this process might take since it might hinder my final select status?
Just do what they tell you and do it quickly. You should be fine...

Rev

pilot
Just got a call from my recruiter (before I got my FS letter). They asked me if I can report on July 8th!

Talk about an ironic twist! Glad that it worked out for you so well. Maybe a few others of us will get in with you. Hope you've been running!

mataron

Naval Aviator, VP-46
pilot
Isn't what dfred did something your recruiter won't let you do?
WTF
It's not that my recruiter won't let me, it's just that he said a letter from an optometrist would probably not help. I don't quite understand that considering the cases of dfred and others.

Did you ever end up having that appointment with the Dr to retest your depth perception?
The earliest appointment time I could get is this Friday, so I'll be getting my depth perception retested. Which test did you take the second time?

My recruiter left a message today (we couldn't get a hold of each other) saying that he wants to verify that I would be interested in going to OCS under a Pilot billet with the condition that if I do not pass my flight physical, that I would continue as a NFO. I should be happy but I'm a little skeptical since no one has heard of this, and NavyOffRec has said one must be PQ in order to go to OCS under a Pilot billet. Although I'd be happy to be an NFO if I'm not PQ for SNA, I'm afraid that, with the above arrangement, I'd be more likely to become an NFO and I'd have less leverage in fighting to keep an SNA slot. As crazy as it may be, do you understand my point of view? I think I'd prefer to just see an optometrist, pass the depth perception, and go to OCS under a Pilot billet without any conditions—the way people (like dfred) have done/will do it.

dfred

pilot
It's not that my recruiter won't let me, it's just that he said a letter from an optometrist would probably not help. I don't quite understand that considering the cases of dfred and others.

The earliest appointment time I could get is this Friday, so I'll be getting my depth perception retested. Which test did you take the second time?

My recruiter left a message today (we couldn't get a hold of each other) saying that he wants to verify that I would be interested in going to OCS under a Pilot billet with the condition that if I do not pass my flight physical, that I would continue as a NFO. I should be happy but I'm a little skeptical since no one has heard of this, and NavyOffRec has said one must be PQ in order to go to OCS under a Pilot billet. Although I'd be happy to be an NFO if I'm not PQ for SNA, I'm afraid that, with the above arrangement, I'd be more likely to become an NFO and I'd have less leverage in fighting to keep an SNA slot. As crazy as it may be, do you understand my point of view? I think I'd prefer to just see an optometrist, pass the depth perception, and go to OCS under a Pilot billet without any conditions—the way people (like dfred) have done/will do it.

I took the Randot test with the Optometrist which I know is one of the approved test.

From the experience that I just went through I would think that you could go to you Optometrist to get tested, if you do infact pass, submit the letter from the Optometrist to NRC. I was able to get my letter stating that I was PQ'd for SNA without any underlying conditions and I don't see why you couldn't either.

bluemarlin04

I could be wrong but I believe you have to be PQ for Pilot to attend OCS under a SNA slot.

texag2010

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that that condition applies to everyone going in as SNA. If you don't pass DP at OCS you have to redes to NFO. I'm in the same boat, I got Pass - C at MEPS and just had an eye doc appointment on Monday. Took the randot and stereo fly and passed both. As soon as I get the paperwork back, I'll be sending it up. I'll be waiting a little bit longer for my PQ as they want to do a consult on my back next week at MEPS for a surgery I had in high school.

My feeling is that this is your career and the next several years of your life we're talking about. If you want SNA, do everything you can to get it. I would be absolutely thrilled for the opportunity to be trained as a NFO but you can be sure I'm going to exhaust every option I have as far as getting SNA. I don't want to wonder "What if I had emailed x or asked y?"

mataron

Naval Aviator, VP-46
pilot
I could be wrong but I believe you have to be PQ for Pilot to attend OCS under a SNA slot.
Yeah, you're right. I just got off the phone with my recruiter, and it sounds like what he said earlier is not going to happen. He's telling me to wait and see which community I'll get a FS letter for, which he and I know will be NFO, not SNA. Do people get FS letters from all communities they are pro rec'd and PQ'ed for? Getting a FS letter doesn't mean I accepted that community, right?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that that condition applies to everyone going in as SNA. If you don't pass DP at OCS you have to redes to NFO. I'm in the same boat, I got Pass - C at MEPS and just had an eye doc appointment on Monday. Took the randot and stereo fly and passed both. As soon as I get the paperwork back, I'll be sending it up. I'll be waiting a little bit longer for my PQ as they want to do a consult on my back next week at MEPS for a surgery I had in high school.

My feeling is that this is your career and the next several years of your life we're talking about. If you want SNA, do everything you can to get it. I would be absolutely thrilled for the opportunity to be trained as a NFO but you can be sure I'm going to exhaust every option I have as far as getting SNA. I don't want to wonder "What if I had emailed x or asked y?"
I'm glad to hear another person in the same boat. I'm going to do everything I can to get SNA; I wish my recruiter would do the same.

exNavyOffRec

If a person was paid (BDCP), you have to redesignate, if you were not paid prior to OCS and you go as a Pilot but for some reason are deemed not PQ for Pilot you are under no obligation to redesignate to NFO, if even given that choice. Once you are found by the USN not PQ they are breaking the contract with you, you then have to agree to enter into a new contract.