• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2012

bluemarlin04

They need a new one, went through this many times before, but your recruiter, not the admin at the reserve center should be doing this, your recruiter should just take the CO's endorsement and submit a new DD 368 with it.
okay thanks. Will let the recruiter know tomorrow.

I know when my brother was selected he just called per and said it was urgent and they took care of it right away.

I am gonna call pers in the am and ask if they can fast track it if I email them a new dd368.

The recruiter is telling me he needs it asap.

mataron

Naval Aviator, VP-46
pilot
As I predicted, I found out today that I'm NPQ due to not passing the depth perception test. I asked my recruiter again about submitting a letter from an optometrist, but he's still not supporting that idea. However, he said there's a possibility that I could still go to OCS under a Pilot billet and that the flight physical at OCS would be what counts. There's a catch—if I fail the flight physical at OCS, then I must go the NFO or SWO route. Has anyone done or heard about this?

Well just got home from my appointment with the Optometrist, took the random dot test and scored 20 seconds of arc, which is well below the minimum. I had the Optometrist write a letter stating that and faxed it to my recruiter to send to NRC. Hopefully all goes well and I get bet my PQ letter ASAP.
That's good news. I hope it works out for you.

I have seen this done before, with mixed results, some get redesignated at OCS, some don't.
I don't understand how getting a letter from a civilian optometrist stating your depth perception is good works for some and not for others. Who decides if the letter is acceptable or not? Is there anything I can do to help my chances? Also, I'm assuming a 5 minute retest at MEPS is out of the question—WHY?

RobotSailor

Weller-known Member
Thanks guys, these past few weeks have been a trip..but it's all worked out for the best. I'll see you guys in Newport!

exNavyOffRec

As I predicted, I found out today that I'm NPQ due to not passing the depth perception test. I asked my recruiter again about submitting a letter from an optometrist, but he's still not supporting that idea. However, he said there's a possibility that I could still go to OCS under a Pilot billet and that the flight physical at OCS would be what counts. There's a catch—if I fail the flight physical at OCS, then I must go the NFO or SWO route. Has anyone done or heard about this?

That's good news. I hope it works out for you.

I don't understand how getting a letter from a civilian optometrist stating your depth perception is good works for some and not for others. Who decides if the letter is acceptable or not? Is there anything I can do to help my chances? Also, I'm assuming a 5 minute retest at MEPS is out of the question—WHY?

If you are NPQ for SNA NRC will not issue a letter for SNA, that means you cannot go to OCS for SNA

The reason on the optomotrist is that not all depth perception test are the same and meet the Navy standards.

I have seen guys that failed depth perception at MEPS go back, not a single one passed on the second attempt, we have since stopped fighting for MEPS retest.

RobotSailor

Weller-known Member
For choice #1 I picked NFO and then SNA. Since I got both, does anyone know if I'm locked into NFO? or can I go in as SNA when I get my fs?

mataron

Naval Aviator, VP-46
pilot
If you are NPQ for SNA NRC will not issue a letter for SNA, that means you cannot go to OCS for SNA

The reason on the optomotrist is that not all depth perception test are the same and meet the Navy standards.

I have seen guys that failed depth perception at MEPS go back, not a single one passed on the second attempt, we have since stopped fighting for MEPS retest.

If I make sure that the optometrist's depth perception test is like the Navy's and the standards are met, would I be good to go or possibly not?

They should just charge people for retesting at MEPS. Then, the extra expense would be a non-issue while the serious folk get a second opinion/chance.

I'm sorry if I'm belaboring this issue, but I'm just trying to arm myself with as much information as possible.

bluemarlin04

For choice #1 I picked NFO and then SNA. Since I got both, does anyone know if I'm locked into NFO? or can I go in as SNA when I get my fs?
you pick either one

I got sna and swo

had to write a letter saying thanks for the opportunity for surface warfare but I am going tith sna .

bluemarlin04

If I make sure that the optometrist's depth perception test is like the Navy's and the standards are met, would I be good to go or possibly not?

They should just charge people for retesting at MEPS. Then, the extra expense would be a non-issue while the serious folk get a second opinion/chance.

I'm sorry if I'm belaboring this issue, but I'm just trying to arm myself with as much information as possible.
they can't charge people its the federal government.

like navoffrec said and I'm sure the optometrist tech can vouch as well, if you didn't meet standards at meps chances are the second go around won't be passed either.

what other designators were you selected for?