• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2012

DCrow

SNA Primary
At the end of the day, speculation won't make a difference. Check in with your recruiter once in awhile to stay in the know, and if at some point you find out you didn't pass something then try and get a civilian doctor to take a look at it. Worry about the things you can control, not about things you have done and can't do anything about right now.

MGoBrew11

pilot
At the end of the day, speculation won't make a difference. Check in with your recruiter once in awhile to stay in the know, and if at some point you find out you didn't pass something then try and get a civilian doctor to take a look at it. Worry about the things you can control, not about things you have done and can't do anything about right now.

Agreed. However, they don't know the answer either. I'll probably set up an appointment with an optometrist just in case so I don't have to wait.

dfred

pilot
Agreed. However, they don't know the answer either. I'll probably set up an appointment with an optometrist just in case so I don't have to wait.

As far as I understand, if your MEPS paperwork says you passed "F" then your depth perception should be fine.

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
I'm an Optician at a Naval Air Station with an Aerospace Optometrist. I can tell you that to be a Pilot, if you can't pass the depth perception test then you will not be a Pilot. There are certain exercises you can do to try to help your depth perception, but it's more along the lines of, you either have it or you don't. At most Aviation Medicine clinics, they have the Armed Forces Visual Field Test (AFVT) which tests for Visual Acuities, Phorias, and Depth Perception. The earlier link to that website is the requirement for Aviation. The test that our clinic uses is the Randot Fly Test. You have to have 40" (degrees of arc) to pass the test. From my experiences as an Optician, you either get one right and miss the other 9, or you get all of them right. It's like the color deficiency test, you either have the ability or you don't. A question I typically ask, do 3-D movies work for you? If they don't, you don't have stereo vision.

I'm new to the site, and if anyone ever has any questions about Optometry, shoot me a PM, I'll help you out.

mataron

Naval Aviator, VP-46
pilot
I'm an Optician at a Naval Air Station with an Aerospace Optometrist. I can tell you that to be a Pilot, if you can't pass the depth perception test then you will not be a Pilot. There are certain exercises you can do to try to help your depth perception, but it's more along the lines of, you either have it or you don't. At most Aviation Medicine clinics, they have the Armed Forces Visual Field Test (AFVT) which tests for Visual Acuities, Phorias, and Depth Perception. The earlier link to that website is the requirement for Aviation. The test that our clinic uses is the Randot Fly Test. You have to have 40" (degrees of arc) to pass the test. From my experiences as an Optician, you either get one right and miss the other 9, or you get all of them right. It's like the color deficiency test, you either have the ability or you don't. A question I typically ask, do 3-D movies work for you? If they don't, you don't have stereo vision.

I'm new to the site, and if anyone ever has any questions about Optometry, shoot me a PM, I'll help you out.

I can't seem to PM you (maybe because I haven't reached a certain post count), so I'll ask here. What exercises can one do to help his depth perception?

It's a little comforting knowing that, in your experiences, people either have it or not. 3-D movies work for me and I've passed a couple online depth perception tests, so I'm pretty confident I can pass the AFVT or another depth perception test if given another chance. Getting only one hour of sleep before going to MEPS probably had a lot to do with passing only up to level "C" my first time.

Rev

pilot
I had a scary phone call yesterday. My recruiter told me that I had failed my depth perception test and that my lab work had shown high numbers on something that indicates liver function.

Both were very confusing. I *knew* I had nailed the depth perception and the administrator had even said I passed. Come to find out it was a simple clerical error and I had in fact scored almost perfect.

The other worried me pretty bad. I mean I had a great time in college but not that good. Whatever the reason, went to the doc and they ran some tests and it all came back clear.

Hopefully I'll be good to go.

bluemarlin04

So I turned in my DD 368 to my command 2 weeks ago the day after I found out. I told them need it back ASAP. Pers for some reason only approves them for 90 days at a time. I call my command yesterday to ask about it and it hasnt even been faxed to pers yet!!!!!!!! WTF!!!! For the past 2 weeks its been sitting in the skippers box because he went to some school and didnt want to have correspondence or something.

The recruiter said he needs it ASAP so I am calling PERS now trying to get a hold of anyone to see if they can help me and just update a form instead of going through a whole new process which take like 3 weeks sometimes.

exNavyOffRec

So I turned in my DD 368 to my command 2 weeks ago the day after I found out. I told them need it back ASAP. Pers for some reason only approves them for 90 days at a time. I call my command yesterday to ask about it and it hasnt even been faxed to pers yet!!!!!!!! WTF!!!! For the past 2 weeks its been sitting in the skippers box because he went to some school and didnt want to have correspondence or something.

The recruiter said he needs it ASAP so I am calling PERS now trying to get a hold of anyone to see if they can help me and just update a form instead of going through a whole new process which take like 3 weeks sometimes.

I am sure I have asked this before but you are a reservist correct, not active duty, it affect my answer I could give you.

bluemarlin04

I am sure I have asked this before but you are a reservist correct, not active duty, it affect my answer I could give you.
Yes I am Reservist.

I have been trying to call PERS to ask them if they can just update the date on the form..

If you got any info on this that would be great.

dfred

pilot
Well just got home from my appointment with the Optometrist, took the random dot test and scored 20 seconds of arc, which is well below the minimum. I had the Optometrist write a letter stating that and faxed it to my recruiter to send to NRC. Hopefully all goes well and I get bet my PQ letter ASAP.

exNavyOffRec

Yes I am Reservist.

I have been trying to call PERS to ask them if they can just update the date on the form..

If you got any info on this that would be great.
Your CO has no part in the DD368 he doesn't sign it, does absolutely NOTHING with it, the only people that sign it are you, your recruiter, and PERS. If you recruiter was familiar with this he would take your CO's endorsement letter and have his processor send it to PERS with the DD368 he printed up.

I have seen people get screwed out of spots by recruiters that weren't familiar with the process.

bluemarlin04

Your CO has no part in the DD368 he doesn't sign it, does absolutely NOTHING with it, the only people that sign it are you, your recruiter, and PERS. If you recruiter was familiar with this he would take your CO's endorsement letter and have his processor send it to PERS with the DD368 he printed up.

I have seen people get screwed out of spots by recruiters that weren't familiar with the process.
oh yea my last two were signed by per, 913

I turned it into the reserve center the co endorsed a letter, pers would get my 368 with the letter endorse and send back.

I'm trying to call npc and ask if they can just update my form, it expired april 24th and I don't know why they would need another co endorsement letter if they already have one from my last 368.

do you know if they can update the dates in the form if I email them a new one?

I don't want to be waiting around on this, I'm cleared everything else already that's why.

exNavyOffRec

oh yea my last two were signed by per, 913

I turned it into the reserve center the co endorsed a letter, pers would get my 368 with the letter endorse and send back.

I'm trying to call npc and ask if they can just update my form, it expired april 24th and I don't know why they would need another co endorsement letter if they already have one from my last 368.

do you know if they can update the dates in the form if I email them a new one?

I don't want to be waiting around on this, I'm cleared everything else already that's why.

They need a new one, went through this many times before, but your recruiter, not the admin at the reserve center should be doing this, your recruiter should just take the CO's endorsement and submit a new DD 368 with it.