• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
sorry to here zoso,

also good points, but althetics isnt the only thing to promote team work and leadership. I belive athletics is very key in promoting key qualities in a leader, just not the end all be all of leadership. I plan on playing rugby at the USMMA, as well as doing powerboats

im VP for my german club (yeah anyways) But i organize a tutoring session for people that need help with their stuff. I also work at 6 flags in a team of people. we MUST have teamwork otherwise crap is going to happen.

We operate go-karts as one of our rides, and it requires everyone working together or guests are going to hurt themselves, us, or the ride isnt even going to start.

Basically any group activity is going to give you qualities that you need for the future.

No one is born a leader or an officer, that is why the academies, ROTC, and other commisioning programs have you take leadership courses.

Good luck to everyone who wants attend the academies as a commissioning route.

Oh yeah i forgot USMMA only has 6 majors (7 if you include dual but thats a rareity)
Not 20-30 like the other academies.

3 deck majors, ie transportation, logistics, all kinds of good stuff that lets you drive ship.

3 Enginereing majors. Marine, Systems, and Shipyard. i belive thats what they are i know its marine and systems but i dont know about shipyard.

i guess thats another reason its a small school, only about 280 admitted a year out of 2000 applicants.

I plan on doing systems (probably tying the n00se for myself, but building crap is fun)

Sorry H20man, but I've held school offices, had jobs, and I've played sports, and I can tell you from experience that sports made me a much better leader than anything else.

In sports you have to do everything under pressure, you want to win, you're in pain, your team mates all feel the same, and you all have to work in perfect harmony to win. IMHO, it's better leadership preparation for combat than being a class officer. They're not training politicians/paper-pushers/etc., their training war-fighters.

big

USNA Class of 2008
Well I played 4 sports in high school(baseball, track, swimming and soccer) and played varsity baseball and soccer freshman year. Was team captain of both soccer and baseball for a combined 6 years. I was in tons of clubs (AP club, young republicans club, NHS, french club, student council, student class representative etc.), combined scores for best SAT = 1340, ACT 29 composite (30math 29eng), involved bigtime in church...did all that and my family was freakin homeless for 2 years in high school.

I didn't get in last year and I don't assume I will this year.

Why? Grades. Tons of problems at home so I missed a ton of school and wasn't able to get great grades. Still, I graduated top 10% of class w/ honors and gold shield diploma(highest our school offers, only 12 ppl received that diploma...only 2 were male myself included) and just all out excelled. This year I went to college and took 24 credits, all A's and a C(C in polisci, A's in eng101-102, calc1, chem1 though!). final H.S. GPA=3.72, College GPA atm=3.66.

Yet STILL it looks like I'm not getting in this year based on the way my BGO talks etc.

So I'm just getting a little frustrated with the academy. I dunno what else I can do for them, I'm working my butt off and always have worked my butt off to get in yet I can't! All I want honestly now is my commission, I don't care how I just want bars as either a sub/swo/nfo officer. Just wish those academy ppl would let me in, I want in!!

usnaxc08

USNA C/O 2008
I hear you.

Big, I hear you. I know how much you want it.
I was also a second year applicant. I received my appointment just before spring break.

Here is some advice that I have learned from the Admissions process:
-Make your Admissions Counselor & BGO aware of how dedicated you are. This includes speaking with him/her at the Congressional Academy Days!
-PLAY SPORTS!!!! Whether you think it is fair or not, the Admissions Board really likes athletic candidates. If you are a talented athlete speak to the Academy coach or recruiting coordinator.
-Get involved in a numerous amount of LEADERSHIP activites (take a Leadership Position). Usually, if one standsout in a leadership position, school awards are given in your honor. The AB will be more impressed if the entire school recognized you for your service. I am not trying to imply go only for the award, but it can help in the process.
-Community Service is always important.

2,3,4....Year Applicants:
-Take a minimum of 16 hours a semester. Earn A's in everything (certainly not less than a B GPA).
-Continue playing sports. You don't have to be VARSITY. Play IM's. If you also like to run, I have heard rumors the AB loves runners, train and compete in local road races (5k/10k...or more if you want) and send your results into the AB.
-Get involved in community service.

-------
What I really am trying to say is that you need to show your DEDICATION. It is obvious that it is hard to differentiate between the competitiveness of candidates sometimes. Well, if you show your dedication, it might be an easy call of the Admissions Board. Good grades and sports help a lot, but so does expressing your dedication, after all, they do want candidates who will complete the four year program and become future officers in the Navy or USMC, not just extremely smart and/or athletic candidates.

I decided that if I don't get in this year I'm not going to reapply. I spent my entire HS career working my ass off playing the academies' games, and I'm sick of it. I can't believe you didn't get in big, that is utter BS. My friend's cousin got an LOA in Dec with a 3.8 GPA, no AP or honors classes, no sports (EVER), 1200 SATs, and two clubs. Ridiculous. She had never cared about the academy before, she is completely ignorant about the challenge she faces, she parties every friggin weekend, and not a single one of us thinks she will survive the first week of Plebe Summer. I guess she played the affirmative action card.
I am sickened that she got in and guys like big didn't. I decided that if I don't get in I'm going to a state university and becoming a marine officer. After talking to several marine pilots, OSOs, etc., I've found there is much less BS in the marines.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
You might want to rethink the whole less bs in the corps. I can tell you there is just as much if not more. Its just a different type of bs. Your always going to have bs in the military, one of your qualities as an officer will be how well you handle that bs.

big

USNA Class of 2008
Well I do plan on applying again next year, as I have great college grades and am in leadership positions. I just don't see how I can make my application any better than it already is(with the exception of better grades now) and I have tried to make it a point that I want this very badly.

Another friend of mine here in Vegas is a 3rd year applicant currently. His bro plays linebacker for Navy football, he has been to the academy like 6 times and is absolutely dedicated to getting in. He didn't even apply to any other academies or universities and made it known that all he wanted was Navy. He did well last semester in college etc. but I don't believe he is getting in either.

I've even thought about enlisting and trying to get into the academy from there, but I'd rather just do college now(as I've said, I WANT MY COMMISSION!). If I don't get in next year, though, I think I'll call it quits and just go for BDCP/NUPOC(I'm applying for those after the fall).

BYPASS

I was rejected also. I'm ok with it though. Since I was selected to go to the summer seminar and received a nomination, I consider that an accomplishment in itself, not to mention a great experience. I recently received a Merit Scholarship and waiting to hear about the 4-yr. Scholarship, so I'm moving on. Good luck to those still waiting!

rjack14 said:
You might want to rethink the whole less bs in the corps. I can tell you there is just as much if not more. Its just a different type of bs. Your always going to have bs in the military, one of your qualities as an officer will be how well you handle that bs.

Believe me, I know about military BS. Both of my parents were AF officers, one of my gramps served in WWII, and the other was a MSGT in Vietnam.

I know the marines put up with BS, but I know they are judged more wholy on their abilities as leaders rather than their ability to stab their competitors in the back. It seems the marines put up with the same crap, but they all go through it together rather than only looking out for themselves, which is what I admire about them.

The academy is exhibiting BS in the sense that it is just filling quotas rather than admitting the most qualified candidates. I still don't know how I fared, but since I'm a white, middle-class, male, I didn't get any love from AA, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Admissions just told me they already mailed the letter, so I'll let you all know what happens.

HerrLURP

American_Ace said:
The academy is exhibiting BS in the sense that it is just filling quotas rather than admitting the most qualified candidates. I still don't know how I fared, but since I'm a white, middle-class, male, I didn't get any love from AA, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

What do you mean that the Academies are filling quotas rather than admitting the most qualified candidates? Academy Admissions are based on a candidate score point system, which 50% of that being your GPA and Test Scores, roughly 35% being Athletics/Leadership, and 15% being your Physical Aptitude. No points are given for race, sex, or creed.

I had a 3.8xx at the #2 Engineering school in the country, was an All-State and All-American athlete, state champion in track and field, multi-sport captain, National Merit recognition (SATs) and I got in...now are you saying I'm not qualified? And even with those stats I'm not even close to being ranked #1 Academically or Physically at the Academy. I'd say they are letting in some damn qualified candidates, b/c frankly some of my classmates make me look like a bum.

p.s. I'm a white, middle-class male.

Don't blame the system. There are those who succeed, and those with excuses for their failure. Don't be in the latter.

big

USNA Class of 2008
It happens HerrLURP, I've seen it multiple times here.

Heck my BDCP/NUPOC recruiting officer was whining at me about it just last week, happened to him when he was applying to the academy after graduating from HS.

I don't appreciate the "excuses for failure" comment btw. You don't know any of us HerrLURP or how much we've worked to get in, so you may wanna tone down a bit bud.

zoso406

Herrlupp is gay

Recruited athletes do jsut as good as geniuses at the academy anyways...

wats your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.