• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Integer

Banned
Rejected!

Rejected! I was such a pain in the butt to admissions, they wanted me as much as I wanted them, but I had to throw in a bad gpa into the mix. :) I want to say I'll fix it, but I'm already getting A's this semester and will continue to do so at a four-year college, just to erase doubts. Go USNA class of 2009!

The AF told me I was on their waiting list more than a week ago. Usually when I hear something from the AF I hear the same thing from the navy a few days later.... What's the hold-up, the tension is getting to me.

big

USNA Class of 2008
Yea Ace I'm on waiting list too, only for USMA

The people I know who did get an appointment to USNA already received one a while ago(like over a month ago at least) so I'm not very hopeful if its a week before the mail deadline and I haven't gotten anything.

navyfan

I don't know if you should be so pessimistic. My son's BGO told him yesterday that he should know within two weeks and that things "look good." So, whoever wrote about the idea that kids like my son are on USNA's defacto "waiting list" is probably right. If you haven't heard no yet, you're still in the game. USNA is going to find out how many of their first choices have opted out and then roll out the big welcome mat for the rest of their picks. It's a shame to say it, but my son knows he wasn't on their "A" list, but he was on their "?" list, and if he gets the appointment, he'll keep that in mind. Hopefully, those of you that have tried a couple of times to get in, will hear good news in the next two weeks. If you do, and decide to attend, work hard everyday to make them realize you should have been on the "A" list. It will help everyone that follows in years to come. And your attitude might very well be--"I don't care what the pecking order was, I'm in." And you're right. But make sure USNA is your first choice, and don't pass up a better opportunity. Good Luck to all of you.

zoso406

wait list?

how do you know if your on the waiting list? I talked to my BGO and all he said is that im still being considered for NAPS and this is the time to start considereing other options and if i get positive results i have options.
Also, I am a recruited athlete for lacrosse I thought I would hear from usna a while ago...I might even have to wait longer since they are cuting the class size and they need to wait for turndowns before asking me. Anyway basically the only way of me getting in is because of my recruitment and my bgo also told me that i am still recruited status (good news).

big

USNA Class of 2008
Luckily for you, zoso, athletes who are recruited but don't receive appointments are almost assured a trip to NAPS, so if you don't get into the academy this year you can rest assured you'll be in next year after your trip to the prep school. Even idiots get into it in my experience.--->

I was taking a calc class with two other guys here in Nevada who were both applying for USNA. Me and this other guy have been working our butts off to get great grades and to present ourselves the best we can by doing all tons of sports, activities, and overloading credits etc.

This other kid's an idiot. We're talking ~1090 SAT, horrible grades, hes a hardcore punk rocker with earrings and an idiotic attitude. The dude never went to class, and he was taking 7 credits total (eng101 and calc1 w/ us). I had near perfect grades for college and extremely high grades in HS, 1340 SAT, played 4 sports (captain of two), and was in a billion clubs. The other guy with me had about similar stats as me, just a little less.

Yet what happens? This kid who has no motivation and admittedly isn't even that interested in the Navy gets sent to NAPS cause hes a recruited track athlete, and I continue to struggle to some way some how earn a commission and most likely will not get into USNA.

Frustrating, but its a good sign for recruited athletes who honestly want to attend USNA. So don't worry zoso, and when they give you the opportunity to go to NAPS (or the academy if that works out), GO. There's too many of us out here who desperately want in but aren't offered a way into USNA.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
You all need to get some info straight here. For one class size is increasing at the academy. By 100 people a class, so thats about 130 more that will get in I would say. And if your an athlete, when you get here you get breaks on some things. But you do not get breaks in classes, varsity and club athletes work harder than anyone else here. Granted it is easier for them to get in, but once here they got to pull the same academic standards we do to graduate.

big

USNA Class of 2008
Obviously, but the hard part is getting in, hence the topic(appointments, not making it through the academy).

Not romping you or anything, I just dunno if you're responding to me or the other ppl in the thread rj.

zoso406

Idunno, I was just going by what my BGO and Coach at Navy said that the government is authorizing fewer students for this years class. So I just have to be patient because the coach also said he defiently wants me in, its just a matter of being patient ( so im not really looking forward to the April 15th date - possibly soemtime in May)
And Whoever said 1090 is an idiots grade... I got an 1100 buddy. Only 10 points higher and I consider myself smart. The Verbal kills me becuase I don't know words I will never need to know in my life ever again.

big

USNA Class of 2008
Well, the kid took a ton of SAT courses to get that score.

He had applied the year before and was offered NAPS, but he got into a motorcycle accident and had to wear one of those huge neck braces(forget the name, halo?). So obviously he couldn't go then and just waited to go again this year.

His original SAT score was ~980. And no, 1090 isn't stupid, thats just my frustration coming out...1340 blows 1090 out of the water and my grades are way better than his but I'm here and he's on his way to NAPS. Very annoying.

HerrLURP

I got my appointment on December 22nd. :) In case you're curious, my HS GPA was 3.5xx, 1380 on the SAT and an All-State athlete. I had college experience at a top University however, where I had a GPA of 3.8xx so that probably helped me a lot! Some of you guys who get turned out should consider going to college for a year, excelling there, because if you do well it will really boost your competitiveness and prepare you for Academy academics.

My best friend is still waiting on his, and he was told he would get an answer no later than the end of next week. So same should apply to you guys!

If you are waitlisted any further, what that means is that they have to wait for some of the guys to decline their appointments. But a record number of applicants are accepting appointments now, so if you're on the waitlist chances aren't good.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Sorry to hear about your admissions denial integer.
Its good to see you still motivated about trying again next year.

Refering back to bigs post about athletes, i my 2 cents about it.

I think the academy needs to look more at brains instead of sports.
In my opinion its an unfair advantage. Thats why i never applied to the USNA, i knew they were going to look more at super star athlethes than someone who was decent in them (i did 2 years of sports, 1 year of wrestling, then one of track)
I had clubs and had good grades.
But i knew they were going to be looking for the jock with the grades.

I know AF recuits football players, without nominations. A guy in my neighborhood, got accepted to the USAFA on a football billet.

Now im divided on this.

One instance... he didnt try for the nomination, so basically for a guy to try and get a nom and not get it, hes already been outsed, unless he has the sports back up.

But... he did try and apply to the air force.

Thats why i like the prep schools. If your a sports guy, but dont have the grades they give you a trial year at NAPs. This way if the sports guy flunks, they havent wasted a spot at the academy... But every academy has attrition, so some slots are going to be lost

Overall, i think people with sports deserve to go if they try and are willing to commit themselves. But at the rate most of the academies are going, i think they are a little too heavy on the sports recruitment.

Then again it also goes to the well rounded person. A super genius, or a jock, may not succeed in the military, thats why they look for a person who has dabbled a little in both sports and academics, ie the best bang for the buck.

Now for my stats, i would have been suprised if the Naval Academy would have taken me with these stats, plus a guy in my HS, who is a genius and a jock got in and our congressman only had 1 slot this year, so right now with my situation i consider myself blessed.

Grades: 3.6-3.7 throught high school.
SAT (i took that about 5 times, math never got above 600 until last try ) 670V 650M
Sports: As above Frosh: Wrestling, Soph: Track (i moved to Texas junior year)
Clubs: Aviation, German club (Vice President) and National Honors Society.

Junior year i was still looking at Navy, with a vague chance at the time.

Then i found the USMMA (MY SAVIOR)
Smaller school and a Service academy. (even though i had never heard of it till my junior year)

I found i could get a commission in any service, or elect to serve with a US Merchant Company as my obligation time.
Plus my soph and junior years I could travel around the world aboard merchant vessels.

So middle of October rolls around (oops im a procrastinator, BAD BAD BAD) I convince my dad to let me visit the USMMA. I get back and im estatic. The ppl up there had about the same stats i had, of course there were always ppl heavy into the sports, but my host didnt even do sports in HS.
I had all the forms for the Congressman, just hadnt filled them out, so when i got back i filled those out and sent them in. Then at the same time i had been working on my USMMA app. I was able to throw all the pieces together about 5 days before the Early decision deadline (but i had started getting stuff together at the beginning of october, so it wasnt a complete last minute thing.) I FEDEXed my package out to Kings Point. and got it in the day before the deadline. Now comes the time for waiting.

My mom knows a customer at the bank she works at, who has a son who is a plebe this year at USMMA. He puts us in contact with the local admissions rep here for San Antonio. We meet the rep and after that he was behind me all the way.

Nov: Congressional Interview (not bad, could have been worse)
Nothing from the academy yet.

Dec: Nothing at all, no suprise though, it was a last minute thing for ED at the academy.
End of December rolls around, my congressional appointment arrives (1) check in the box, medical came back around the same time (2) checks in the box.

January: Finally get my PAE done, boy i was lazy getting that thing done. My package is now complete. All checks in the box. All i can do now is wait.(They send out Letters Of Assurance if you have the main stuff done, but you MUST get the other items done by the deadlines, a person i talked to from another high school got an LOA way back in December, and she is a principal candidate now.)

I took the SAT for the final time, its due by the 15th. The USMMA looks at your highest combined scores from SAT or ACT. Like i said, i took it 5 times.
I got my good verbal score in Oct, but still had a crappy 560 math. :(
Then i registered agan for january, and crammed the week before the test.
Ratios and Triangles, those seem to the the biggest thing on the math part of the test, and ratios used to kick my butt. My dad also helped me out, he told me "Monkey gets 25% right if he guesses" so any questions that i didnt have time for or couldnt figure out i guessed. we calculated that it was far better to guess than leave a blank, cause even with a wrong answer its only .25 of a point off, compared to no 1 large point at all. So i finally got a 650, without that score, i dont think i could have been competitive.

During this time i was constantly in contact with the Admissions Office at the academy and my rep here.

March: Begining" NOTHING!!! (i was starting to sweat, the whole month is an evaluatoin month so they are constantly sending out appointments.

On March 7th, all the local congressional offices hold an event where all the service academies come together and basically speak about their schools to juniors, cause the app process is going to be going again soon.

I went to it again to help out my local rep and talk to the Admissions Officer. I talked to the Admissions officer who covers Texas, i had spoken to him in October, but i wanted some more info on the academies. He tells me Texas is very competitive this year (AHHHHHHHHH). Texas had more applicants than New York did, where the academy is located. Plus he told me they were going to be evaluating much stricter this time, because last year they let too many people in and are over crowded. (AHHHHHHHHHHHHH)
Nothing for the next few weeks, i was really bugging out.

Then it came. March 25th the day before my 18th birthday. A nice fat envelope. My letter had come! It came in a really nice folder, plus some other stuff. I am a Principal Candidate. I report July 9th. Im pretty friggin happy right now.

I didnt just breeze through this whole process. I pushed really hard and was dedicated to my school work (kinda happens when your a Navy Brat) I was in constant contact with my local rep here and the Admissions office.

So now i look forward to 4 years of hard work and dedication. I hope to obtain a comission as a Navy officer (hopefully going to flight school) or with a Merchant Mariner company, or I may apply to the other services (dont know about that).

I applied to other colleges here in town, but i dont know what i would have done with myself if i hadnt gotten in to the USMMA.

Integer in others good luck with your conquest of the Naval Academy Admissions boards,I want to see you guys get in, but it doesnt hurt to apply here to the USMMA, cause for me, its even better than the Naval Academy, for if my eyes go beyond the limits for flight school, at least i have a good paying job as a civilian(US Mariners coming outta the USMMA average around a 50k salary in their first year, thats what i heard from my host up there.)

All academies have their ups and downs and each one fits everyone differently, for me USMMA is a perfect fit.
If you have the determination, YOU WILL SUCCEED.

If anyone has any questions feel free to email me, or AIM me (MURdragon)

Integer, you were very deserving of the appointment, but like you said, kick ass for another year and im sure youll get it.

oh i was listening to a USNA midship, and he was saying that only about 30% of the ppl at the academy for each year come straight from HS.

well its time to go sleep, now that i have finished this insanely long post.

zoso406

and i got my 2 cents on recruited athletes...

I feel as an athlete, i have a better understanding of how to deal with certain situations that rise. We learn this through competition. We also learn more about teams, unity, and stuff like that...THUS making a comparison to an officer, an athlete with that knowledge would make a better officer then one who is a master in calculas or a master in science...etc.

And, I found out today that I have been wait listed for NAPS my BGO told me. I guess I have to talk to my coach to stress the how much I would love to play for them at navy.

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.