• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
The Academy is more than willing to recognize what you do after high school. I had a 3.6 and got in with 1280 SAT. Course I was a prior enlisted. And yeah the enlisted guys give academy grads crap, what it comes down to is if your a crappy officer they are going to hate you. It doesn't matter where you come from. Just take care of your people. I am not going to act like a know it all though, it annoys me when my fellow Academy mids do. Man thats how we get a bad name.

I'm fresh out of high school (one month left actually), but I think I may be able to help you a bit.

Leaders are selfless, they put their men and the mission first. They do not play favorites, and they are confident (not arrogant!), yet humble, decisive, and assertive, but willing to take advice.

Officers are not friends with their enlsited men, but they give them their utmost respect and they will do anything they can for them. If the enlisted guys think you're their pal they may take it personally if you have to correct them, but if you're an officer you may have to be a hard-ass because lives are on the line, and they are your responsibility.

They recognize and use the best abilities of their men to accomplish the mission, they do not try to do everyhting on their own, or randomly assign tasks.

Also, leaders are compassionate. They have to be able to understand what their men are going through and it is paramount that they don't ask anyone to do anything they wouldn't.

All and all, it's important that your men know that you respect them, want what is best for them, and most importantly, they think you are fair.

I could think of some more it I tried, but this is good for now. If anyone disagrees, jump in. If you want to be a better leader play team sports, like soccer, football, etc. The leadership is a lot different, but it's a start. Also, talk to military officers and high-ranking NFOs (luckily for me, I got them in my family).

usunkmybship

Thanks, I do need more work in the confidence and assertiveness areas. I'm a Sea Cadet in a leadership position now and I'm new to this. As in I'm not used to giving orders and me being in control of others. I think it's because I'm the youngest in my family so I'm used to the other way around. Hopefully I'll grow out of it.

HerrLURP

Read, "Ranger School: No Excuse Leadership" and it'll give you a good idea.

What American_Ace said was pretty accurate, but I think he left out a few important things.

First, leaders are EXTREMELY COMPETENT. You can be the nicest, most compassionate, and understanding guy around, but if you can't accomplish your mission, or if you're holding your troops back, they're not going to respect you at all.

The leader HAS to be able to lead from the front both physically and technically. He's got to set the standard and example for his subordinates to follow. He's got to be determined, driven, and ready to break down brick walls with his bare hands to accomplish his goals.

Another important aspect I learned at Airborne School: The officer is the FIRST out of the airplane, and the LAST in the chow-line. That means he's the first to VOLUNTEER for whatever ****ty detail like cleaning latrines, he's the first to wake up, he's the first to get up after a rest break, the first to pitch in wherever necessary, the LAST to eat, the LAST to go to bed at night, the LAST to take a break, etc.

Finally, there's BEARING. Officers have to carry themselves a certain way to inspire respect in their subordinates. That means they aren't whiny, snively, wimps to get frustrated or visibly upset whenever the going gets tough. Even when it hurts, you have to LAUGH and LOVE IT. You've got to be tough, and you've got to have class. This doesn't mean you can't be compassionate. All this means is that you can't be a pushover. Your men don't have to like you, and most often they probably won't. But if they respect you and would follow you into combat, then you're getting somewhere.

Watch Band of Brothers and follow LT Dick Winter's character closely. He exhibits all the traits of an exceptional leader, and I think he set the standard for all of us to follow.

NAPSmom05

Have to chime in for the women here!

I sat and did the math after looking at the varsity rosters for the women at the academy. Sure, they want/have to hit a number at 15% approx. But, when you factor in recruited, varsity athletes, it doesn't leave a whole lot of other spaces for the women. They work as hard as their male counterparts. We can all say our rejections were the "race" game, "sex" game, "athlete" game etc. The bottom line is that the Academy accepts extraordinary people from all walks of life. Do they screw up sometimes and let some in that shouldn't be there or not let in others? Of course. There is no perfect system. But, to look at the students as a whole, they are the best and brightest our country has to offer. My daughter was initially rejected from the academy and then was waitlisted and finally accepted to NAPS this year for the class of 05. After her initial rejection, she didn't sit and whine about being rejected (ok, she did for about a day) but, instead went gangbusters doing anything she could to have her file reopened and appealed. It worked for her in that she ended up speaking directly to the dean of admissions and was offered the waitlist spot. She followed up weekly on that and was given this opportunity. Now it is up to her to do well. There are many routes to being an officer in the Navy. Don't give up if this is what you want.

Haha... I did whine for a day. Oh well, now I don't care because I'm joining the Air Force. Say what you want about them, but for full tuition and the stripend I'll iron my flight suit everyday :).

Jonez

USNA 09 Hopeful
HerrLURP said:
Watch Band of Brothers and follow LT Dick Winter's character closely. He exhibits all the traits of an exceptional leader, and I think he set the standard for all of us to follow.

"I like Winters, he's a good man. But when the bullets start flying, I don't know if I'd trust a Quaker to do my fighting for me."

"How do you know Winters is a Quaker?"

"He ain't Catlic."

:icon_tong

Status
Not open for further replies.