• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I think I will respond regarding spouses in a new thread. To continue here would be way too off topic. However I won't do that until I am safely back home with my computer. Given that I am on a train somewhere in Nebraska heading away from home as I write this, that is going to take dome time!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

VTFlyer

As an officer already holding a college degree, the GI bill probably isn't going to be your cup of tea. The best thing you could do is pass it down to a family member.
As for cutting tuition assistance, I have heard from multiple sources that it's not widely used by operational units anyway. Even online distance learning programs have certain times where you are required to be on the web to "attend" lectures and whatnot. Now picture that you are over 8 hours off from the university's local time and they want you online at what is 0200 your time, or you have military duties to perform during that scheduled period, or you go on a mission, or whatever. Or maybe the member wants to do a technical degree but can't do the labs, so he just holds off to use the GI bill. It sucks they are cutting it for those who have been able to use it successfully, but if those accounts of the numbers are true I understand the reasoning and it's more alarming as a news headline than anything else.

In terms of "operational units" I wonder if this will affect the courses taught by professors afloat with the ship. At first I wanted to respond to your comment by saying this is ridiculous and tons of people use it! While its not widely used I still think a good amount of active duty people will miss out. I know at least 3 current enlisted sailors personnally that are affected by this. I took classes the entire time during my 7 month deployment, I was in a class of probably 20 people. Now while 20 people out of a 5,000 person crew doesn't sound like a lot...there were only 2 professors available to teach.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
First, tuition assistance refers to money paid for earning college credit at an accredited public or private university. I don't know if carriers have people capable of teaching courses in this capacity...if they do, then I am happy that you and those who served with you were able to take advantage of it, and I hope that it continues to be available for you. But realize that two professors provides a very narrow breadth of classes to take, and servicemembers who would want to fully utilize the program would still need to take classes online while underway, which is extremely difficult and requires the chain of command to make a lot of exceptions for the member's course schedule. Not to mention you'd have to do it on Navy comms networks.

But, you're in the Navy. They are cutting tuition assistance for the Army and USMC (and one Air National Guard unit).

I cannot find the numbers of how many active duty Soldiers and Marines use tuition assistance on the web. Everything that pops up is college advertisements for it and news stories that give no data other than personal accounts from college professors. But those cutting it claim that it's a rarely used but high cost program, which is why it's on the chopping block.

VTFlyer

Yeah underway I don't know of anyone that could take them online. We had embarked professors who were contractors from Central Texas University and Oklahoma. They taught the courses at a summer school pace and issues credit from the sponsoring colleges. As far as Navy TA goes, my only "source" is from a PO1 who said he just finished a class and the Navy College Office said they were holding off of issuing more funds. Again this is second hand knowledge so take a just a rumor haha.

John Gil

Has anyone heard about what the next board is looking like? My recruiter dropped the ball and I missed the last one. I'm new here, also wanted to say thanks too all the people who share their info and congratulations to all the people who just got picked up.

Finance degree Georgia State /prior service E-5 USS Tarawa / 56 7/7/7

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
To add onto this conversation my recruiter called me today and told me that the minimums for both Pilot/NFO have been lowered from a mandatory 3.0 GPA to a 2.2 GPA. He told me there are shortages in both designators and they really need people. Just letting all you folks know. I am a prior enlisted Navy final select NFO from the December board and am heading to OCS in June. Hopefully see you guys soon and good luck.

Its things like this that give me hope..............

exNavyOffRec

Its things like this that give me hope..............

According to my friends at the NRD that is not correct, the minimums cannot be lowered unless there is a new program authorization signed and then it has to be posted before it is in effect, they still have more than enough that meet and exceed the minimums.

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
According to my friends at the NRD that is not correct, the minimums cannot be lowered unless there is a new program authorization signed and then it has to be posted before it is in effect, they still have more than enough that meet and exceed the minimums.

shot right out of the sky yet again...... the way this website sounds is if I don't stand a single chance at all whatsoever. This is frustrating, but I'm keeping my head up. Doesn't hurt to try.

BleedGreen

pilot
shot right out of the sky yet again...... the way this website sounds is if I don't stand a single chance at all whatsoever. This is frustrating, but I'm keeping my head up. Doesn't hurt to try.

Your right keep your head up and do whatever you can to become a better candidate. Take some more classes to boost your GPA, study your tail off to improve a low ASTB score...etc. Have you seen this thread? The information their can help drastically improve scores. Not trying to preach just trying to help motivate.

You should be happy we have former, yet very credible, recruiters still posting information on AW. NavyOffRec just helped you from getting false hope and trying to submit with a less than competitive score. Take that as motivation to do better.
good luck and stay positive!