• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

jrhoover

I am interested in two different programs in two different branches. They each have overlap in terms of the 'doing the job'. One is in the Air Force and the other is in the Navy. This is for Navy OCS and Air Force OTS applications as a civilian. My Navy application is already submitted. Both recruiters have said I am a competitive applicant but, each of these are competitive positions and there is no guarantee to get selected. I know the physical, medical, and academic (ASTB vs AFOQT) requirements are different but similar. It makes sense to apply for both positions. The Air Force recruiter wasn't happy but, was very understanding when I told him I already applied to another branch because he knows it's best to take what you can get. He said he will continue to support my application through this process. Both recruiters told me of the selection boards release their results in October.

He mentioned something about a "SPF" or "SPIFF" request (recruiter lingo). Does anyone have experience with applying to multiple branches? Will the Navy selection board throw out my application?

exNavyOffRec

I am interested in two different programs in two different branches. They each have overlap in terms of the 'doing the job'. One is in the Air Force and the other is in the Navy. This is for Navy OCS and Air Force OTS applications as a civilian. My Navy application is already submitted. Both recruiters have said I am a competitive applicant but, each of these are competitive positions and there is no guarantee to get selected. I know the physical, medical, and academic (ASTB vs AFOQT) requirements are different but similar. It makes sense to apply for both positions. The Air Force recruiter wasn't happy but, was very understanding when I told him I already applied to another branch because he knows it's best to take what you can get. He said he will continue to support my application through this process. Both recruiters told me of the selection boards release their results in October.

He mentioned something about a "SPF" or "SPIFF" request (recruiter lingo). Does anyone have experience with applying to multiple branches? Will the Navy selection board throw out my application?
This has been discussed before, there is no rule preventing you from applying to multiple branches at once, and once the USN submits your medical to N3M and they clear you then you shouldn't have to deal or care who pulls your physical from MEPS.

Now to tell you a little inside info, nearly all recruiters will tell an applicant they are "competitive" that is how recruiters keep applicants on the hook.

Since you mentioned ASTB it appears you are applying for a SNA or SNFO role, if that is correct ideally for SNA in the current environment your PFAR would be and 8 or 9 and for SNFO your FOFAR would be a 7 or greater.

The other items is that if your are going for SNA or Pilot in the USAF you should know that the USAF allocates most of those spots to USAFA, then AFROTC, and any leftovers go to OTS.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Not to beat a dead horse - but are you applying directly to flying units in the Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard? In 2023 this represents one of the "best paths" - and applicants with a Privae Pilot (or better) Airman Certificate and a college degree complete or pending degree are highly competitive!