• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to CNATRA Reserve Aviator Board

P3 F0

None
There is still the RCC (SELRES guy who is the boss) and the OIC (FTS guy who actually does the day to day stuff, usually has a YN working for him), although we stopped calling it the OIC since that term has crappy job recognition on promotion boards.
Nitpick: the RCC (at least, the one I work for) has an FTS CO, FTS CSO, and a SELRES Deputy. There seem to be a lot of aviators that cycle through my front office, as well as a bunch of aviators filling NOSC CO billets.

MasterBates

Wow, Casey. You've spent all this time & energy railing against the man and being happy to get out with your considerable compensation package, only to be begging to get back in the door? Seems like your current gig would be wildly superior to a piecemeal reserve gig, with the pay and the flying. Why bother?

My reasons-
1- Because flying a T-45/6/57 is mo fun than dragging 8 roughnecks to a job site in a stripped out King Air when I get to do that. They puke if you do a break. Ask me how I know this. I'm not allowed to do short breaks anymore.

2- With 11 years AD, a reserve retirement is nothing to sneeze at.

3- I get a fuckton of paid time off (2-3 months a year on top of vacation) and I'll have too many motorcycles in the garage if I don't find something to do in my spare time.

4- From talking to reservista friends, it's 100% of the fun with 10% of the bullshit. I find that to be an acceptable ratio.

5- As a reserve IP, there will be less of my life dedicated to answering why AD3 Dicknose got another DUI when he was just released from jail for his third one yesterday, and why is AM1 not paying his child support, and why didn't AZ3 pass the PRT (Again) than it was on AD, which started getting really old after about year 6 of being a DIVO, and more of the teaching a ENS/JG/2nd/1stLT that wants to be there how to fly. For all my shortcomings, flying, or instructing has never been a weak point. I have the boarding rate and grades to back that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nitpick: the RCC (at least, the one I work for) has an FTS CO, FTS CSO, and a SELRES Deputy. There seem to be a lot of aviators that cycle through my front office, as well as a bunch of aviators filling NOSC CO billets.

I'm pretty sure your "RCC" is different than what Jim is talking about. He's referring to the TRACOM Wing Reserve inner-workings, not the standard Reserve admin dog pile of important people. Unless I misunderstood your statement (and profile).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Part of the logic behind not using "OIC" to describe the billet was because the term no longer meant "acting XO/skipper" in the reserve squadrons and perhaps, in the eyes of the board, had connotations of Det OIC (which is supposed to be followed by OPS/MO department head in "normal" aviation career progression). Or something like that.

I can see that, especially since all kinds of cats and dogs are on the board. It's interesting that the TRACOM guys cracked the code on that but the Operational side hasn't.

P3 F0

None
Yup, disregard. There is a large disconnect between the RCC and the wings. We barely understand anything about CNAFR and its structure. Carry on.....

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I can see that, especially since all kinds of cats and dogs are on the board. It's interesting that the TRACOM guys cracked the code on that but the Operational side hasn't.

Funny; TRACOM guys think that it's the Operational guys who have cracked the code...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yup, disregard. There is a large disconnect between the RCC and the wings. We barely understand anything about CNAFR and its structure. Carry on.....

How can you guys not understand things in CNAFR when we send you so many reports? Smiles, of course.

Funny; TRACOM guys think that it's the Operational guys who have cracked the code...

I think we're ALL just a bunch of knuckleheads standing around, trying to figure out how much longer hardware-based FTS will last and how to keep flying in the meantime.

P3 F0

None
How do you not understand that we don't give two sh*ts about those reports? Seriously, we do occasionally have to task the squadrons that we do have tangental oversight on. It always pains me. Nothing more rewarding than working on a purely administrative staff that nags the operational guys.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How do you not understand that we don't give two sh*ts about those reports? Seriously, we do occasionally have to task the squadrons that we do have tangental oversight on. It always pains me. Nothing more rewarding than working on a purely administrative staff that nags the operational guys.

It's funny to evolve through the "process" over the years, especially when I've been in commands that have "mattered" less than others. A few years ago, it was IMPERATIVE that we get out report A in time. Now, if I don't get stuff done and off to CNRFC in the "normal" amount of time, no one seems to bother me. I certainly try and get it out in the first, or worst case, second day possible, but I completely hear you. Seriously, does the O-6/Admiral really care if I flew x hours or y hours in support of z evolutions? Probably neither.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.....With 11 years AD, a reserve retirement is nothing to sneeze at......

A word of advice, be careful to make sure that every year you do I the reserves is a 'good' year. It has been brought up here on the board before but if you make it to 20 as a terminal LCDR and don't have 20 good years you could be shit out of luck when it comes to retirement. Thank you very much for serving, no retirement for you! If you make O-5 you have a lot of leeway since you can serve up to 28 years but as a terminal LCDR you can't have a single 'bad' year since 20 is HYT, with few exceptions. And since a 'good' year is tied your anniversary date (usually the date you commissioned, if you don't have a break in service and being in the IRR isn't a break in service) YOU are the only one that cares and keeps track of it. If you are a 'normal' reservist doing one weekend a month it isn't that hard to do but it can be a bit of a challenge if you do what you are suggesting by doing your reserve duty in big blocks. On-line courses can also help you get points if you need them, I think Frank the Tank and Pugs both did courses to get points their last years in the reserves, they can chime in with the details.

Just keep track of it, 50 points in a single anniversary year is a 'good' year and if you do what is required you will get 75. Make sure you keep the paperwork associated with your drills and that the Navy records at BUPERS On-line are accurate, not surprisingly they sometimes get it wrong. You will learn that is a big difference with the reserves, a lot of things that your admin/personnel/PSD used to do for you doesn't anymore and you often have to do the heavy lifting yourself. The only looking out for you is you.

phrogpilot73

Is there a maximum you can fly a month in the reserves?
The only limit is OPNAV. Provided your squadron/wing has enough AFTPs (Additional Flight Training Periods) to provide for you to fly. I was a reserve bum for the first year I lived here, and had some 45 hour months.

MasterBates

Question on "good years"

I "enlisted" for BDCP on 11 AUG 2000 and commissioned 5 OCT 2001, with 1 year, 1 month and some days "enlisted" time (BDCP-OCS).
My last day on AD was 29 FEB 2012..

Is the 12th year of service (year starting 11 AUG 2011) already "good" due to being on AD unti the end of February?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Question on "good years"

I "enlisted" for BDCP on 11 AUG 2000 and commissioned 5 OCT 2001, with 1 year, 1 month and some days "enlisted" time (BDCP-OCS).
My last day on AD was 29 FEB 2012..

Is the 12th year of service (year starting 11 AUG 2011) already "good" due to being on AD unti the end of February?

I'm not really smart on the BDCP angle, but if you were on active duty for more than 50 days within a particular annual cycle (fiscal or personal), then you're good. While on AD, one day equals 1 point.

The benefit of having more points in a year is to give you more pay each month on your retirement check. You do need to watch out for working more drills/days than you're allowed to earn (365), as it won't help you down the road. If you get enough additional monies, you can get up to 365 points before the FY is out.

phrogpilot73

I'm not really smart on the BDCP angle, but if you were on active duty for more than 50 days within a particular annual cycle (fiscal or personal), then you're good. While on AD, one day equals 1 point.
Yes and no. If you're not a member of the armed forces for 365 days (indicated by 15 points for participation) then it's not a good year. Case in point - I have one year that I was not a member for the full 365, and only got 8 participation points. Even though I got 65 points that year, it's credited as "P", which getting into the manual means that it's a partial year, and that I don't have to worry about that year when counting HYT...