• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to CNATRA Reserve Aviator Board

MasterBates

I'm currently trying to put together a package for the May CNATRA Reserve IP board, and since I am on a ship with limited phone/internet connectivity I have some questions that I figured would have a better chance of getting answered here.

The instruction says you have to send a copy of the package to all TRAWING RC's you are interested in flying for.

It also says you need to rank your choices in order, say T-45 Krock, T-44 Corpus, T-34 Corpus, etc.

Does a package more or less get rejected by the commands near the bottom of the list? My work schedule would work well in TRAWING land from the few I have talked to (2-3 weeks solid every 3 months) and not work so wellf or the VR/HSL/VAW units I have talked to.

Also, do you just send an identical copy of the letter, not tweaked for the individual units to each, with the TW's in numerical order on the "TO" line on the letter?

I know it would be better if I could "rush" or at least call the units, but I'm going to either be on a ship, or in Russia/Germany/Dubai/Sweden until August. Russia and the boat have shit internet/phone so it's like being on a smallboy that's at Rivercity non stop here.

MasterBates

Forgot to add, I have Krock/Corpus ahead of Pcola/Meridian for geographic reasons. Not against the places, but it's closer to home, and I have a better chance of being there for work, or at least in driving range far more often. I live in Wyoming, but work in Houston/Dallas a lot when I am INCONUS.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
MB, I don't have the latest message or an old one in front of me, so I'm kinda winging this, but-

On those boards the wing RCCs (typically an O-6 or senior O-5) have a lot of say in who they want to come work for them in their reserve units... nothing you didn't already know. They usually take a pretty reasonable approach to what's in the application packages, so I wouldn't worry so much any of them taking it personally if you used geographic distance/ease of travel to rank your preferences. I can't say for sure, but still.

I'd consider customizing one of the paragraphs in each cover letter- maybe brag about things like your carrier boarding rate in the T-45 letter, variety in your fleet background for T-34 Primary, lots of crewed aircraft (as opposed to single-seat) experience for the T-44. The rest of the cover letter stuff is probably the same for all the platforms and units (model naval officer, model citizen, loves instructing and the flight training mission, you know...).

Be realistic and honest about your ability to fulfill those 60 production days/year (CNATRA RC rule over and above the rest of the reserves), and how flexible your schedule at your real job will allow you to make it to drill weekend each quarter.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Jim, does the TRACOM place a value on "being local" (which would theoretically mean more participation)? I know that's a concern for the Operational side. It's not the end-all, nor does anyone think that "being local" (whatever that means for the unit) equals always being available, but if it's valued, that might be worth putting in the letter for the TX wing.

And just to piggy-back on MB's thread... I don't have the message, either, but I thought you applied to each Wing, no? If so, do they just hold the selection board at one place for all Wings at the same time so they can sort out the "preference?" Preference/order doesn't really apply on the SELRES Operational side since you apply to one command at a time, although usually one of the bullet points in the message is whether you are applying to other units. It's more as a data point...plus there's some networking that goes on between units that may be co-located.

Jim123

pilot
Jim, does the TRACOM place a value on "being local" (which would theoretically mean more participation)?

Short answer- yes. (Although not necessarily for guys whose jobs let them jumpseat on airlines/freight or have otherwise convenient travel...)

And just to piggy-back on MB's thread... I don't have the message, either, but I thought you applied to each Wing, no? If so, do they just hold the selection board at one place for all Wings at the same time

This is exactly how the CNATRA reserve selection boards work- you apply to one (or more) training wing(s), but they all meet at the same time and in the same place.

Each wing has a reserve component commander (RCC- a reserve O-5~6) in charge of the reserve units that are attached to each squadron (squadron augmentation units--SAUs--each of which has its own reserve O-5 SAU CO). There will be a certain number of open billets between the SAUs in each wing. Once the selections are done each wing RCC has the final say on who is slated to which of his SAUs (and may occasionally move people from one SAU to the next or back again for different reasons). The board is normally composed of each of those wing RCCs and the CNATRA RCC (reserve O-6 who himself was usually a wing RCC in a previous lifetime). Each of them also have at least one FTS who is their right hand man for the day-to-day stuff 24/7/365. And all of them take a lot of pride in supporting the mission by contributing experience, quality, "citizen-soldier," er, sailor... you know... all the standard reserve stuff that is what makes the reserves so awesome. ;)

Hope that all makes sense in terms of people's mindset is going in to the board.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, it does. Sounds more centralized than the Operational side, but that makes sense for CNATRA. Where do the FTS OICs fit in? Or are they gone now and replaced by the RCC? When I left the TRACOM, they still had a Wing OIC (along with the squadron RDH and SAU CO) even though the Operational squadrons had already lost the OIC job.

MB, I can split the thread if it's an issue.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, Casey. You've spent all this time & energy railing against the man and being happy to get out with your considerable compensation package, only to be begging to get back in the door? Seems like your current gig would be wildly superior to a piecemeal reserve gig, with the pay and the flying. Why bother?

Jim123

pilot
Where do the FTS OICs fit in? Or are they gone now and replaced by the RCC? When I left the TRACOM, they still had a Wing OIC (along with the squadron RDH and SAU CO) even though the Operational squadrons had already lost the OIC job.

There is still the RCC (SELRES guy who is the boss) and the OIC (FTS guy who actually does the day to day stuff, usually has a YN working for him), although we stopped calling it the OIC since that term has crappy job recognition on promotion boards.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Wow, Casey. You've spent all this time & energy railing against the man and being happy to get out with your considerable compensation package, only to be begging to get back in the door? Seems like your current gig would be wildly superior to a piecemeal reserve gig, with the pay and the flying. Why bother?

Good to see senior guys on the boards posting well thought out contributions to the discussion.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just seems like an odd choice, but hey, knock yourself out.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There is still the RCC (SELRES guy who is the boss) and the OIC (FTS guy who actually does the day to day stuff, usually has a YN working for him), although we stopped calling it the OIC since that term has crappy job recognition on promotion boards.

Don't leave us in suspense. Is the new title "Grand Poobah of Orange and White?" I'm curious because OIC is still used on the fleet side, at least on the HELRESWING side.

Jim123

pilot
Don't leave us in suspense. Is the new title "Grand Poobah of Orange and White?" I'm curious because OIC is still used on the fleet side, at least on the HELRESWING side.

Sorry :)

OIC has evolved into OSO (operational support officer). I thought the reserve squadrons were changing to one SELRES and one FTS in the front office (but still fleeting up XO-CO)... shrug.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry :)

OIC has evolved into OSO (operational support officer). I thought the reserve squadrons were changing to one SELRES and one FTS in the front office (but still fleeting up XO-CO)... shrug.

They did, but we were talking SAUs. That's what I was referring to.

So wait. People thought putting "Support" in their title made it sound better? Why not go full AF and call yourselves "Support Squadrons?" It doesn't matter if you don't have aircraft. It works for the AF.

Jim123

pilot
So wait. People thought putting "Support" in their title made it sound better? Why not go full AF and call yourselves "Support Squadrons?" It doesn't matter if you don't have aircraft. It works for the AF.

You've kinda got a point... :rolleyes:

Part of the logic behind not using "OIC" to describe the billet was because the term no longer meant "acting XO/skipper" in the reserve squadrons and perhaps, in the eyes of the board, had connotations of Det OIC (which is supposed to be followed by OPS/MO department head in "normal" aviation career progression). Or something like that.

Now using "Grand Poobah" on a fitrep... that would be epic :D