• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying for a Naval Commission

bbell

chellorraine,

After submitting 2 applications for Intel over the last 2 years. I can tell you that the whole process is random at best. My last application was submitted in June 04 and I was non-select in November 04, but did not find out till March 05! Stay on your Recruiter, but be prepared to wait a long time for an answer from Intel.

Good Luck

Older Recruit desires to become an Officer

I leave for basic in august '05, I will be 25 and desire to be an officer. I made a 99 on the ASVAB and have the study guide book for the ASTB. I would like to take the test before bootcamp because I feel it would be advantagous to my application for a commission. I already know about the seaman to admiral program but i cannot afford to take four years to become an officer. I already have a college degree and would like to go flight school, is it possible? I know the cutoff is age 29, but are there waivers for older applicants?

H60Gunr

My CO finally signed a LOR he wrote for me, the last major requirement before the package (NFO/AMDO/INTEL) departs for CNRC. I guess the next step is to sit by the phone and wait?

erk

Senior Chief,

You might not know the answer to this as it seems to be a "board" issue, but does the geographic area of the country for non-prior applicants matter? I ask this because my OPO is behind goal for the year and I was wondering if the Navy tries to have a somewhat equal representation of the different states. I do know that state of residence can have a rather large impact in the application process for USNA appointments, but does this carry over to OCS as well?

fccpopeye

erk,

There is no indication that any state or area is more favored then any other at the boards. They determine the best applicants from the packages they have in front of them, where they are from wouldn't play any part in the decision.

R/
Senior

fccpopeye

jdreeves915 said:
I leave for basic in august '05, I will be 25 and desire to be an officer. I made a 99 on the ASVAB and have the study guide book for the ASTB. I would like to take the test before bootcamp because I feel it would be advantagous to my application for a commission. I already know about the seaman to admiral program but i cannot afford to take four years to become an officer. I already have a college degree and would like to go flight school, is it possible? I know the cutoff is age 29, but are there waivers for older applicants?

The age for Pilots coming in from Civilian is 27 with up to 48 months waiverable for prior service. I am not entirely certain if this is similar for those coming from the enlisted ranks. Please check OPNAVINST 1420.1A for details.

mnusn

fccpopeye,
Thanks for all of your information, it's been very useful. I am looking to start the process to get into OCS. Ideally, I would like to go with Intel. Looking at the ATSB that you mentioned, I noticed it concentrates heavily on naval aviation. As I am not really interested in flying, will I still have to complete all of the ATSB and if so, will those score weigh heavily on my application even if they are not completely related to the fields I wish to go into?

Also, do you have an estimate as to how long the process takes from start to getting an OCS start date? I know this is a very hard question to answer, but even a ballpark time would be helpful.
Thanks again.

fccpopeye

mnusn

The test is half aviation, 3/6 sections. Those sections are required for Intel. They are not weighed heavily but are considered. As for process timeline, this differs for each individual counting on how quickly your package is put together. Expect a good month (or more) to put together a good package and then at least a month for this to be reviewed prior to a PROREC. Then the FINDOCS, probably another couple of weeks then wait again for at least a couple of weeks and finally the official selection with OCS date. There have been individuals that have taken over a year from initial decision to apply, to final select. I am sorry but even all this typing I have done is probably a waste. The bottom line, if you want the commission, you do whatever it takes and wait for however long it takes.

Good Luck.

FCCS

H60Gunr

Hey Senior,

I'm waiting on the AMDO Board which is currently TBD. When should I be expecting the Board to convene? Possibly during the new Fiscal Year?

AD2

fccpopeye

Sorry, you know as much as me right now. I would expect sometime in the beginning of the new fiscal year they should post the board(s) date(s). I do know the number of AMDO's they are looking for is low. Hang in there.

crfracer47

I just turned 23 and decided to go back to school to get a BA/BS and apply for OCS. My goal is to get into a flight program. Do you think that there is still enough time and do the boards favor someone with a private pilots license? Any Info that you can provide would be great.

fccpopeye

I just turned 23 and decided to go back to school to get a BA/BS and apply for OCS. My goal is to get into a flight program. Do you think that there is still enough time and do the boards favor someone with a private pilots license? Any Info that you can provide would be great.

Ok I'll do the math. You must be commissioned before 27. You are 23. You are just starting a 4 year degree. It doesn't sound promising.