• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying for a Naval Commission

fccpopeye

OK, that was a little short. My apologies. The bottom line here is all the information needed is throughout this forum and on the internet. It would be possible to get a 4 year degree in less time. The concern is keeping your grades up while taking a large load and probably also working. If you can't keep your grades up then you won't make it. If you want the best chances available then you need to take a technical major such as engineering which is obviously tougher thus harder to keep your grades up.

A lot of factors here so only you can decide if you can do it.

crfracer47

Sorry about all of these questions and thank you for your answer and time; you are the first person I have talk to at all about this. I know that the Air Force extends the maximum age for a flight program by 1.5 yrs if you hold a private pilots license, does the Navy do anything like that?

fccpopeye

Sorry about all of these questions and thank you for your answer and time; you are the first person I have talk to at all about this. I know that the Air Force extends the maximum age for a flight program by 1.5 yrs if you hold a private pilots license, does the Navy do anything like that?

No.

IAV8

pro rec compared to selected

I've heard some people talk about being professionally recommended but then they were not selected.

If you are professionally recommended under what grounds would you possibly not be selected?

Thanks for any advice.

Chad

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
fccpopeye said:
I have been told that some NFO's are given a chance at pilot when seats open up due to pilots washing out during training. I have heard this from some that have been there but would actually like someone else who has been there to confirm this here. Also if they could, maybe explain the way it works so all can understand.

You can switch over during flight school. Have a buddy that's going through (or just finished) the process now.

Its not so much b/c pilot slots open up due to washouts. In order to make the transition, you HAVE to graduate 1st in your API class and then apply. I'm not sure if you can do it later out of primary.

fccpopeye

IAV8 said:
I've heard some people talk about being professionally recommended but then they were not selected.

If you are professionally recommended under what grounds would you possibly not be selected?

Thanks for any advice.

Chad

It depends on the program but in a lot of cases a PROREC yes will get you to the actual selection board. Then you are up against all the other PROREC yes's that cycle. Not all get selected. Another item may be a concern in your physical or possibly with the security clearance. Of course the security questionnaire is now being done as part of the initial process, which is now called PRODOCS (instead of ADDOCS) and the final process is now called MEDDOCS (instead of FINDOCS). Still, a PROREC yes is a major step, and if you are not selected you should definitely consider a resubmission (provided the non select wasn't due to a medical or security concern). The next board may not be as competitive and persistence is a desirable trait.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
You can switch over during flight school. Have a buddy that's going through (or just finished) the process now.

Its not so much b/c pilot slots open up due to washouts. In order to make the transition, you HAVE to graduate 1st in your API class and then apply. I'm not sure if you can do it later out of primary.

Cannot change after you start primary. The chance to change over, even if #1, will not apply to every API class. It only happens when it is adventageous to the Navy, that is they need another 1395 and can spare the 1375.

ajosephb

WOW...

I hit the jackpot.

There is a lot of valuable infomation on this board. I graduate from Embry Riddle at the end of the month.

Major: Professional Aeronautics
Minor: Aviation Maintenance Managment.
3.4 GPA
29 years old
10 years active duty

Shooting for AMDO or Supply.

I will roam around and ask some questions when they come up.

This site will help me out a lot.

-AT1

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Cannot change after you start primary. The chance to change over, even if #1, will not apply to every API class. It only happens when it is adventageous to the Navy, that is they need another 1395 and can spare the 1375.

Thanks for the add-on, wink. Had a bit of incomplete info.

Officertob

Thank you Senior

Senior,
This was an excellent synopsis of the step by step process of becoming commissioned. I should have checked this web site a long time ago. This would have saved me alot of headache when putting together my package.

Officertob

After you are selected

Senior,
How long does it take to be sworn in after you have been selected? If all that is left is for your commissioning documents to be confirmed by the Secretary of Defense, does this mean that the required checks such as background have been completed?

odannyboy

A Commission from the civilian world...

I have started the paperwork for a commission in Intel. My recruiter was dead on honest and told me I had a marginally poor to severly minimal chance to get one. I am wondering what ations stands out in the realm of the Boards selection process for a civilian? I will be taking the ASTB in the next few weeks, look forward to doing well on it, and have some good recommendations from Naval officers I work with. I have held a few leadership positions, can pass a Federal Background/Security clearance and am really wanting to get this done.. Now, the cons...I have no prior military service, and am in a civilian sector (aviation) that probably has little bearing on my chosen path. I have an associates as well as a bachelors, am in good shape, and under the age deadline by 3 years... Now that I have stacked the odds against myself, aside from my never quit mentality, what do you folks recommend that I do to increase my odds and serve a country that has served so many others??? Thanks again for your service and time....