• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying for a Naval Commission

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just researched the recalled reservist/ocs select question in some depth. In the case I researched, our man was in the IRR. As I recall, that means no conditonal release required, afterall, he doesn't drill and has no command or mobilization billet. Our man has been recalled from the IRR though, for more then 1 year (duration of his IRR obligation!). Won't ship until after app is in the mail. Similar question at issue here. OPO recruiters can not work active duty guys. So what happens if a guy applies through the NRD and when selected just happens to be on active duty due to a recall. He is the short answer. The OCS selected reservist on active duty recall MUST be released from active duty before he can attend OCS. He can not be ordered to OCS while on active duty through the NRD process. So, he is at the mercy of his command. If they release him, he is golden. So what are the chances of that if they need you so bad they grap your a$$ from the IRR and ship you to the sand box, complete with several weeks of new training? I'd give the guy a 50/50 chance. Operational concerns of the unit will win out every time. So what then? No one would commit to it but they said that maybe the OCS quota would be held open for him. What if it means rolling it into the next fiscal year? Another "maybe." Frankly, seems like they would work with the guy, but no one was prepared to put it in writing since it had never happend before and even in this case, had yet to happen since the application is being prepared now. Hope we are clear as mud now.

H60Gunr

Thanks for the input. Common sense prevailing, It would hardly seem appropriate based upon operational commitment to be recalled back to the US while deployed overseas to fulfill OCS orders. Then again If the CO endorses the letter to apply for a package, I'm sure the command would be aware of the intentions of the sailor. Thanks again.

H60Gunr

Senior,
I just received a call from the LCDR from the Navy Officer Recruiting Station explaining to me despite my experiences as an aircrewman and being enlisted with "x" years, I'm too old to be considered for NFO. Makes me think of my other two choices, AMDO and Intel and the decisions involved with those two designators (If I am picked up). Kind of "bummed" giving up flying for another designator (thinking there could have been a waiver involved) but then again, looking at the greater good of things, I should be so fortunate to be considered for the Navy's Officer corps.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
H60Gunr said:
Senior,
I just received a call from the LCDR from the Navy Officer Recruiting Station explaining to me despite my experiences as an aircrewman and being enlisted with "x" years, I'm too old to be considered for NFO. Makes me think of my other two choices, AMDO and Intel and the decisions involved with those two designators (If I am picked up). Kind of "bummed" giving up flying for another designator (thinking there could have been a waiver involved) but then again, looking at the greater good of things, I should be so fortunate to be considered for the Navy's Officer corps.
How old are you? You can waive up to 48 months of active duty service.

Brett

chellorraine

Wife of Intel Applicant - Waiting...
fccpopeye,

My husband submitted his ADDOCS a month ago for Intel, and we've been waiting for the board to meet. We've heard that the Intel board meets periodically whenever they receive enough applications, so we weren't expecting to hear anything until probably June...but last week, two people on the forums posted that they got PRORECed from the Intel board on May 12 & 13, and they had submitted in April about the same time as my husband.

When we called our recruiter, he said that our application had not been reviewed by the board, and therefore we don't have an answer. Would the board review some applications and not others? Should we be concerned that we don't have an answer from this May board? Could it mean that they looked at our ADDOCS and decided to hold onto them until next time instead of giving us a "no" right off the bat? Does this mean that it will probably be July now before the board meets again?

I'm trying very hard to be patient, but this process is confusing and since I'm not the applicant, I haven't been able to ask my questions of my husband's recruiter. I'm hoping that you might be able to give some insight, since you're currently working as a recruiter.

Thanks for your time and patience! :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Up to 48 months, month for month of active duty only. Sorry about the news. Take a good look at AMDO and Intel. If you are academicly qualified for AMDO then Suppy might look at yaas well. Less of a chance of an aviation assignment, but a good job all the same, and they are looking for people.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
H60Gunr said:
32. I thought waivers were granted for enlisted service up to age 34. URL.
The more accurate answer is a day-for day waiver for active duty service up to 48 months. Tack that on to whatever the program requirements are for what you're applying for.

Brett

H60Gunr

As per OPNAVINST 1420.1A, dated 2 May 2003. Waivers for prior enlisted service up to age 32. NFO.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett is more right. You add the waiver for prior service to the program reqirement max age. So if the age limit for non priors drops, does the max age a prior service guy can expect to enter at. CNRC does not reference a max age for prior enlisted Simply 48 months, tacked on to the non prior max age at the time of selection. It goes up and down every so often.

fccpopeye

Current age limit for AOC and NFO is 27 with possible waiver of up to 48 months for prior active duty service. This is for persons not currently on active duty. Those on active duty will utilize OPNAVINST 1420.1a, as Gunr said.

fccpopeye

chellorraine said:
fccpopeye,

My husband submitted his ADDOCS a month ago for Intel, and we've been waiting for the board to meet. We've heard that the Intel board meets periodically whenever they receive enough applications, so we weren't expecting to hear anything until probably June...but last week, two people on the forums posted that they got PRORECed from the Intel board on May 12 & 13, and they had submitted in April about the same time as my husband.

When we called our recruiter, he said that our application had not been reviewed by the board, and therefore we don't have an answer. Would the board review some applications and not others? Should we be concerned that we don't have an answer from this May board? Could it mean that they looked at our ADDOCS and decided to hold onto them until next time instead of giving us a "no" right off the bat? Does this mean that it will probably be July now before the board meets again?

I'm trying very hard to be patient, but this process is confusing and since I'm not the applicant, I haven't been able to ask my questions of my husband's recruiter. I'm hoping that you might be able to give some insight, since you're currently working as a recruiter.

Thanks for your time and patience! :)

The "world of selection boards" is somewhat of a mystery to me, and probably all recruiters. Each one does it differently and they seem to change on a regular basis. A month for Intel isn't that bad. I have seen 2+ months waiting for the PROREC. Not knowing the specifics for your hubby and the process so far, makes it difficult for me to give you advice. I know you don't want to hear this but have patience.

chellorraine

Wife of Intel Applicant - Waiting...
fccpopeye said:
The "world of selection boards" is somewhat of a mystery to me, and probably all recruiters. Each one does it differently and they seem to change on a regular basis. A month for Intel isn't that bad. I have seen 2+ months waiting for the PROREC. Not knowing the specifics for your hubby and the process so far, makes it difficult for me to give you advice. I know you don't want to hear this but have patience.

I guess I was just looking for a little reassurance that this is not something we should be concerned about, so thanks. Otherwise, I guess we'll keep waiting. :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Senior,

Thanks making clear the applicability of OPNAVINST 1420.1A. I didn't make it clear myself. I was responding more directly to H60gr who I know is not on active duty. 1420.1A does not help H60 unless he volunteers for a recall and then reapplies from active duty. I'd call that betting on the come, with huge house odds.

H60Gunr

Scruitinzing the instruction more clearly and reading previous posts, I understand the requirements for active duty personnel vs. reservists like me as per OPNAVINST (age requirements). I was recalled back to active duty last year and didn't submit a package for various reasons (Masters wasn't completed and doing a tour overseas would help strengthen the package). Goes back to my previous note that If I get selected to OCS, its going to be for Intel or AMDO. Although, I'd bet the house that I'm getting recalled soon and possibly submit another package for NFO...Think I'm getting my rotors ahead of me though.