• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applications Open for the CNO's Rapid Innovation Cell

robav8r

None
Contributor
Are any of the ideas or Sailors assigned to this "cell" constrained by operational requirements or "agendas/priorities?" The article above mentions looking for folks who want to change the navy - but is it change for change sake or is there a system in place to harness the creativity? Just curious, sounds like an awesome opportunity . . . . .

Renegade One

None
May be too early yet, but is there a "for instance…" you can share?
And…while I don't want to be viewed as "Captain Bring-Down", here's a few memory snippets from my time:
1. The BennySugg Program (e.g., "Beneficial Suggestions"), which I guess begat the MILCAP (Military Cash Awards Program), which has now begat CNIC? Mantra of all: "We want those cost-saving crazy ideas!" For the first two, it would seem that the paperwork required to actually award a young Sailor for a good idea far outweighed the savings projected.
2. CNO SSG (Strategic Studies Group), which is kind of a "pre-CAPSTONE" program for flag possibles: Mantra: "Think out of the box…about the war after next!" Anyone? Bueller? (Hint: "These aren't the droids you're looking for…"). I think they did more time "touring the industrial base" than they did in producing anything that I would recognize. (Caveat: I could be wrong…) There would appear to be some DNA linkage to CNIC…too early to tell.
3. W. Edwards Deming and Japanese-inspired TQM…which begat the Navy's TQL Program…which was supposed to streamline EVERYTHING WE DO and fundamentally change the way we do business. That died an early death, but…TA-DA!...begat other "favorite sons" like "Black Belt Lean Six-Sigma". Mantra: "TQL is an integrative philosophy of leadership for continuously improving the quality of products and processes." Anyone have any "cool stories" to tell?

Nothing at all wrong with trying again…but if nothing else, focus on two or three things that are goddamned IMPORTANT…

Please, God, don't let it be something as inane as the NWUs. There's ALREADY another whole Navy group fucking that away by the numbers…don't add your fingerprints to the crime scene…

ben4prez

pilot
Are any of the ideas or Sailors assigned to this "cell" constrained by operational requirements or "agendas/priorities?" The article above mentions looking for folks who want to change the navy - but is it change for change sake or is there a system in place to harness the creativity? Just curious, sounds like an awesome opportunity . . . . .
To clarify - no one is "assigned," but rather all are volunteers. As for operational requirements, were focused on recruiting shore tour personnel to preclude that. You can still apply if you are on a sea tour, but it's a lot easier if you are not.

As for agendas and priorities, right now we have free reign to look at what WE want. We've rejected numerous good ideas from above (and accepted a few, because they were, well, good...). Also, I'm pretty much the guy who runs the show, and our 2-star and O-6 level leadership have given us tons of leeway to design it as we see fit. We're almost like "Bean's" Toon from Enders Game, if you get the reference. Membership is chosen organic to the CRIC (I.e., we JOs are selecting the next set of CRIC members).

There is a system in place to harness creativity. Every project has a project management plan with contracting support and mentorship along the way. We're instituting Ideo inspired design thinking processes, and have a weeding out process to kill failing projects (and failure is actually not looked down upon).

Renegade One

None
There is a system in place to harness creativity. Every project has a project management plan with contracting support and mentorship along the way. We're instituting Ideo inspired design thinking processes, and have a weeding out process to kill failing projects (and failure is actually not looked down upon).
Two of the essential ingredients for making anything cost more than it could ever produce.

I guess Ideo-inspired design thinking processes is "new speak" for BennySugg, MILCAP, TQL, Lean Six-Sigma, etc.?

I'll be the happiest camper around if you guys/gals can do better than the above…and make a difference.

ben4prez

pilot
Two of the essential ingredients for making anything cost more than it could ever produce.

I guess Ideo-inspired design thinking processes is "new speak" for BennySugg, MILCAP, TQL, Lean Six-Sigma, etc.?

I'll be the happiest camper around if you guys/gals can do better than the above…and make a difference.

I understand the skepticism. Our results will have to speak for themselves, and I'm certainly not going to convince you by trying to explain it in words. We're not about process improvement (which those other things you mentioned were after) - and this is far different than BeneSuggs.

I, too, was very skeptical of writing my PMP, but it was actually very useful. It's not set in stone, nor is it the gospel -- i've already deviated significantly from it. But as an exercise in laying out what needed to be done, it was incredibly helpful.

I'd encourage you to check out Ideo as a concept, not an institutional response bureaucratized by the military. Its something we're leveraging, not co-opting.

But again, our proof will be in the implementation of our real world project's. Since we're new, I can't show you anything. But hopefully will be able to soon.

Renegade One

None
I understand the skepticism. ... I can't show you anything. But hopefully will be able to soon.
Truly…I threw a lot of a career's worth of frustration at you…and you aren't the target. Sounds like you're off to a good start and I wish you all well. No need to show ME anything…show it to the Fleet.

Again…don't work too hard on BS minutiae (PT uniforms or NWUs)…work on stuff that has some importance. I know there will always be a pull to score "an early/easy victory"…to show progress. Nothing wrong with that. Just try to leave something behind after 2-3 years that you all can be truly proud of. Actually, I think that's how TOPGUN got its start...

I'll take your word on the whole Ideo thing… ;)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Random advice for the OP. Don't be too impressed by your "hand-selected" status, and be even less impressed by the the people you select yourselves.

I will be the first to hope you somehow accomplish great things, but I will also be the first to advise you to never buy in to your own hype.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Well, recently I have met a few JOs and Senior Officers involved with this face to face, asked my questions, and heard their pitch. They all appear to be very genuine and the ideas of projects such as shipboard augmented reality and especially ***3D printed Repair Parts*** (every Engineer Officer should be all over this) sounds exciting. It make perfect sense for the CNO to want young fresh minds that will be around in 20 years to look into these things, much like many tech industries have done on college campuses and internships.

In the end, these efforts are as actionable as the JOs leading it, and if nothing else they are getting project management training.

In short, no robav8r and RenegadeOne, a new pair of extra flammable purple working uniforms (yeah purple) aren't these JOs goal and bert I would hope they aren't THAT hyped over an optional voluntary collateral shore duty project vice their "day jobs."

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
And…while I don't want to be viewed as "Captain Bring-Down", here's a few memory snippets from my time:
2. CNO SSG (Strategic Studies Group), which is kind of a "pre-CAPSTONE" program for flag possibles: Mantra: "Think out of the box…about the war after next!" Anyone? Bueller? (Hint: "These aren't the droids you're looking for…"). I think they did more time "touring the industrial base" than they did in producing anything that I would recognize. (Caveat: I could be wrong…) There would appear to be some DNA linkage to CNIC…too early to tell.

R1, Reading the info on the CRIC:
Disruptive Thinkers is a select 15-member working group comprised of emerging junior leaders from across the Navy tasked with developing unorthodox technological, tactical and policy solutions that can be rapidly fielded in support of the Fleet. The group is intended to provide a safe-haven for radical thinkers, a protected incubator for disruptive solutions unlikely to receive a voice in the traditional solution development and approval process. As part of their research and recommendations, this group travels the country engaging with civilian entrepreneurs and academic experts to develop and incubate cutting edge ideas.

The SSG is: The Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Strategic Studies Group (SSG) generates revolutionary naval warfare concepts. Revolutionary implies that the concepts would upset the existing order. Therefore, these concepts are non-consensual. The SSG focuses its efforts on warfighting concepts that appear to have great potential, but Navy organizations are currently not pursuing. In conducting this mission, the SSG is at the leading edge of the Conceptualization Phase of the Process for Naval Warfare Innovation.

So the CRIC is looking for what can we different (through technology or changes to policy) to make changes today. The SSG is looking at what is possible 10-50 years from now and how will that impact the way we fight naval warfare.
The CRIC would look at things like ways to incorporate an IPAD into the fleet either for warfighting, maintenance or shiphandling. Of the 3d printer that Ben4Prez is all excited about.
The SSG is looking at things like, what comes after the rail gun?

Of course if the Navy were able to use a 3d printer to make spare parts I'm sure a few folks (GD, GE, Sikorsky, Boeing, etc) would be a bit upset that they were no longer the sole-source provider for some expensive (and overpriced) spare parts. I would not be shocked to hear Congress (after getting a few phone calls from these big contributors) call a hearing and let the Navy know that this could be a bad idea.

I hope not, but I've seen too many good ideas get dragged down by the bureaucracy.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Of course if the Navy were able to use a 3d printer to make spare parts I'm sure a few folks (GD, GE, Sikorsky, Boeing, etc) would be a bit upset that they were no longer the sole-source provider for some expensive (and overpriced) spare parts. I would not be shocked to hear Congress (after getting a few phone calls from these big contributors) call a hearing and let the Navy know that this could be a bad idea.

I hope not, but I've seen too many good ideas get dragged down by the bureaucracy.

I'm speculating, but they will get something amended to their contracts, some sort of compensation, per item printed. The true power of 3D printing is not in the cost of the parts (if so it is windfall), but the logistics of having parts in a "just in time" environment to improve processes (excuse my Lean Six speak Renegade One) vice having to ship the part from God knows where and wait. Just imagine if such a printing plant was on a large ship in the fleet deployed?

Speculation such as this is where I see the value in the TC's effort.

robav8r

None
Contributor
You may not have the answer, but how does this (your) process differ from what NAVAIR does with Rapid Technology Transfer (RTT) and Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) initiatives ???

ben4prez

pilot
Random advice for the OP. Don't be too impressed by your "hand-selected" status, and be even less impressed by the the people you select yourselves.

I will be the first to hope you somehow accomplish great things, but I will also be the first to advise you to never buy in to your own hype.

Points well taken. That said, you gotta start somewhere, and I'm constantly amazed by the breadth, depth and creativity displayed by current members, and the applicants we've received thus far. It's a shame we have to limit it to so few people...my discussions and interactions with the deckplates about this reveals intense passion and brilliant ideas that could transform the Navy from a very broad base of individuals. Those who are skeptical about the capabilities of the emerging cadre of future leaders should rest well. The CRIC is but a small part of a wider community of dedicated, cross-rank navy innovators.

ben4prez

pilot
You may not have the answer, but how does this (your) process differ from what NAVAIR does with Rapid Technology Transfer (RTT) and Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) initiatives ???

honestly not sure. I believe the CRIC may have taken over RTT funding -- SBIR is a whole different animal that I am not qualified to comment on.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I like the initiative, but Google Glass is a DOA technology to begin with, and if it wasn't you're gonna have a difficult time convincing top brass that they should allow something like that on ships on a mass scale when the Navy is deathly afraid of classified material leaks