• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API to Primary Wait - Whiting

Stick

pilot
While the wife is at work I am starting to look over some material. Thanks and good luck to you as well.

Planeform

pilot
FWIW, I'm classing up on monday after only a month between API and Primary....I did 2 weeks in C-Pool still attached to API and 2 weeks in the pool up here at Whiting. Things are moving very quickly nowadays. Just so everyone knows the way things are currently going...

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
An update on current trends now at WF to start primary...

Navy, seems like you have 2-3 month wait (maybe more)... thats if you actually go to WF, they are sending majority to Corpus
Marines, 4-11 days
CG- About the same time as Navy

All Squadrons at WF are now starting T-6B. (old news I know, but wanted to update for those out of the loop)

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
I am starting to believe there is a perpetual shit cloud over Escambia and Santa Rosa counties

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I've been here since October and haven't solo'd yet. Wx keeps myself and most of my classmates in a perpetual mando window.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Weather is a little worse this year then last... Once this shit clears up- expect short notice Sigmets and the occasional weather recall during the day- but the flying windows will increase and it will be 100+ on the flight line before you know it.

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
I would ask why TW-5 doesn't do a det to Las Cruces like all the Corpus guys, but I guess we'd have to build a tire factory out there first...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I would ask why TW-5 doesn't do a det to Las Cruces like all the Corpus guys, but I guess we'd have to build a tire factory out there first...

Historically, they haven't had to. While there's spells of crappy weather in the Panhandle, it's still pretty good for the majority of the year.

In the last few years that's changed a bit, in part due to weather but also due to some other stuff. TW-5 has gone to LRU, but not with the frequency or numbers that the Corpus guys do.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Weather is a little worse this year then last...

Rest assured, all motivated flight students- if you get your wings one week, several weeks, or several months later than you'd hoped, there will still be plenty of "interesting" places in the world for you to deploy to. :)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Actually last time it went, TW-5 ran the Las Cruces det. As mentioned, generally there isn't a need to: TW-5 manages to meet its production goals throughout the year without dets. It will be interesting to see if they are able to meet those goals this year with most of the production falling on the weight of the T-6 squadrons (with their lower flight hours per event/IP, longer turn around times between events and higher attrition rates).

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
To add (in addition to others) the weather and other little factors have really slowed down the training. Alot of studs have been saying that they've been in Pri for 6 months and are only 1/2 way to solo, others have more warmup flights than graded flights, and so on.

TW5 is pushing out studs to the VT's as fast as they can to do GS, then I guess to wait in line to fly

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Oh, there's no waiting...you just trainwreck into the Contact pipeline and fly once every two weeks like everyone else.

*(Actually, VT-3 has a little program where post-GS guys wiat a little while until C4101...not sure how that works out for them.)

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
It actually worked out pretty well, the whole waiting around until FAM-1. I finished ground school in November, then flew on January 4th. The wait in between was frustrating, but once I started contacts, I flew pretty regularly, and it only took me a month to solo.

Then I started aerobatics and it took me three weeks to do one flight.