• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anytime Allah

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I remember hearing rumors that departing Grumman engineers or IAF personnel loyal to the Shah sabotaged the software interface for the AIM-54s.

Software interface in 1980? Did they shuffle the punchcards or something?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Considering the horror stories I heard about keeping Navy Tomcats in working order, I cannot imagine they're having fun keeping these things going. Seems to be more of a PR/middle finger to the USA thing than anything at this point.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not saying Ill take what Reconjoe had to say hook line and sinker without some references, but is it really THAT hard to believe that China, or Russia for that matter were / are making replacement parts for the Iranians?

Iran has its own manufacturing capability for sure, and they could be doing it all themselves... but considering the relationships that they have had, mostly with Russia though I think China as well, I wouldnt be at all surprised to hear Reconjoe's post substantiated.

Wouldn't it be in the best interest of Russia and China not to manufacture parts for them since then they would might buy more planes from them (notice to other fighter jet in the background during the segment? And why would they be so keen on getting parts from retired US F-14's if they already had a steady supply?

Don't underestimate Iranian ingenuity or resourcefulness, they may not be a world power but they have kept a good chunk of the Air Force we sold them still flying 30 years after we cut them off. And don't underestimate the utility of a hangar queen either, I saw only two Tomcats flying in that whole video. Two out of 79. That's a lot of parts.

jmcquate

Contributor
Wouldn't it be in the best interest of Russia and China not to manufacture parts for them since then they would might buy more planes from them (notice to other fighter jet in the background during the segment? And why would they be so keen on getting parts from retired US F-14's if they already had a steady supply?

Don't underestimate Iranian ingenuity or resourcefulness, they may not be a world power but they have kept a good chunk of the Air Force we sold them still flying 30 years after we cut them off. And don't underestimate the utility of a hangar queen either, I saw only two Tomcats flying in that whole video. Two out of 79. That's a lot of parts.

That MiG-21 is probably 10 years older than the Tomcats.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Im not advocating one scenario over another. I'm simply saying it wouldnt be surprising to me at all.

I remember when the last of the 'cats was retired the Navy taking some non standard actions to keep the F-14s from being touched because of the concern that parts would fall into the hands of the Iranians. And thats been a concern for a while. It's also my understanding they were getting parts made in America for sometime when the Tomcats were still an active part of our fleet.

And as far as buying new planes from Russia, I see your point, but how often have you gone to Autozone needing a new distributer and agree instead to buy a new car? In the future China, Russia, or domestic will likely be the flavor of Iranian air power, but for now I wouldn't be surprised, in fact I would almost expect parts to be coming from a variety of sources to include US, Russia and China.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That MiG-21 is probably 10 years older than the Tomcats.

It's not a MiG-21......close, a very...very close brother, but no cigar......and it ain't older.

Im not advocating one scenario over another. I'm simply saying it wouldnt be surprising to me at all..........but for now I wouldn't be surprised,
in fact I would almost expect parts to be coming from a variety of sources to include US, Russia and China.

You are trying to fit an unfounded assumption into a blank spot without anything, at all, to back it up. Drawing conclusions like that can get you in trouble sooner or later, maybe not on the internets the wold is not a 'Jump to Conclusions mat'.

People may want to paint the Russians and Chinese as being in the Iranian corner but in fact it is a lot more complicated than that. They see a benefit to dealing with Iran on some things but draw do draw the line at others. There would be little to no benefit for either country, especially money-wise (and that is often the bottom line), to making parts for an old and small fleet of fighter jets that weren't even built by them. The only country that would really benefit by going to such lengths to manufacture/refurbish old parts would be Iran. One thing that might be supplied by other countries could be flight instruments or other parts not unique to the Tomcat. Maybe they have anHSI from France, an altimeter from China, etc. But unique parts to the Tomcat? A bridge too far I think. Another thing, just because there were two of them flying doesn't mean they work all that well. They may look pretty but will they deliver when necessary?

James121

Banned
You can thank some Chinese firms for this. There were reports about 3 years ago (looking for them now) that parts for the F-14 were being reversed engineered in China with the intention being to ship to Iran. This even included what they needed to maintain and field their AIM-54 inventory.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Why wouldn't the Chinese simply take the opportunity to sell them J-10s or J-11s?

Tell ya what, I'd be a lot more respectful of an IrIAF that had Flankers and PL-12s. An occasional flyby of a pair of Tomgrapes isn't really all that impressive.

They might be able to make some fly and look pretty, but to make the avionics and weapons work, AND proficiently execute valid tactics with those avionics and weapons, is a completely different story.