• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone not take a Commission?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still miss it, hence the reason I'm working so hard to come back into the Reserves. And you are correct, I wouldn't trade my experiences/memories/friends for anything in the world... I still keep in touch with my buddies from the squadron, and some of them may be joining me at my future reserve unit.

"Living the dream." - even with all the shitty aspects of the job, it really is... As a matter of fact, those three words can't possibly capture the feeling. It is the understatement of the century.

Just did a 30+ high school reunion and even though it was great seeing old friends, none of the relationships and rites of passage I went through compare with my old squadron relationships and the rites of passage there or even in flight school. High School was a blast, but I have no desire to do it over, but like others have said, I'd do the miliary career all over again and know plenty of others who have said that to JOs offering to trade wallets (good trade for JO), cars (likewise), wives (maybe not), homes (good trade), etc. to be a JO again starting out.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... I can't imagine any senior aviator not wanting to go back and relive it all. .... even those who leave, at any stage, will, I believe, say they wouldn't trade it for anything that follows.

"Living the dream" is an understatement.
Ditto; in spades. You NEVER "get enough" if you are the "right type". :)

I'd "go back" in a heartbeat (some of you better watch out :eek:) . Life is good and every day gets a little better .... but yankin' and bankin' with your Amigos safe in the knowledge that you OWN the place and nobody can stop you is simply, simply 'da best ... there's no substitue, anywhere.

cloudswz7.jpg

Reactions: Tom

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ditto; in spades. You NEVER "get enough" if you are the "right type". :)

I'd "go back" in a heartbeat (some of you better watch out :eek:) . Life is good and every day gets a little better .... but yankin' and bankin' with your Amigos safe in the knowledge that you OWN the place and nobody can stop you is simply, simply 'da best ... there's no substitue, anywhere.

Of course, if A4s offers to trade his possessions for your nugget billet, the wife part of the deal is the exception to the rule....;)

Tactical387

Think about it long and hard. A4 has a very good point. Are you ever gonna find another field where the guys next to you would die for you in a heartbeat? the kind of comraderie that you will build in the marines can never be replaced in the civilian sector. Go up to a retired marine officer one day and ask him what the most memorable moment in his life has been. It has been my experience that he wont say his wedding, the birth of his children, or his college graduation. Practically every officer I have asked has said graduation from OCS. It is the beginning of an incredible journey for those who can make it. A Sergeant Instructor told me towards the end of juniors, when I was getting worn down with the whole program, that this is not the marines yet. Marine life is nothing like OCS. OCS is the hardest, most trying shit that they can throw at you. They want to make sure that you can be a leader when youre tired, starving, and cold--and that you will have what it takes to lead one of the most elite fighting forces in the world.

--so go ahead, dont take your commission. And then in 50 years when your grandkids are one your lap, see what stories you find yourself telling them...

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
So all Marine Officers say that graduation from OCS is the most memorable day of their life? Hmmm... I think I might remember trying to hurry up and get the car so I could go get some food, after the graduation thingy... Damn, I must have missed that memo.

Tactical387

apologies sir, I just meant to suggest that many officers would say that it was, and practically all that I have talked to have said that.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
To be honest, I barely remember my OCS graduation. I was just glad to be done with it.

Unless you're a complete clown, you will spend the majority of your initial commitment flying. After that, results will vary, but by then you'll have a lot more experience and knowledge to base a decision on. You can work a corporate job anytime. You will only get one chance to fly for the Marines. Rich people pay top dollar to buy private aircraft that don't do 1/10 of what military aircraft do. You can get paid to do it. You can tell the grandkids about the wage-slave job you did at 23, or you can tell them about flying low-level in a combat zone and about libbo in Thailand ("Dad, quit telling junior about the sex swing in Pattia Beach...")

blur

A-pool
Granted, there are aspects that suck. That's why only 25-30% of naval aviators stay past their original commitment. But even those who leave, at any stage, will, I believe, say they wouldn't trade it for anything that follows.

Not questioning you ID, but that statistic shocks me. ~75% of aviators leave flying some of the best aircraft in the world and 1/2 way to a great pension? :confused:

MasterBates

There is not room for all of us to stay.. if we all stayed, we would have 8000 LCDR's running around with no real job and it would be like the Air Force.

blur

A-pool
Ya...that is a good point. Are a lot of people "encouraged" to leave that early in their careers? If not, when does the "encouraging" usually start?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is not room for all of us to stay.. if we all stayed, we would have 8000 LCDR's running around with no real job and it would be like the Air Force.

True...except they would be Colonels

It is kinda like a pyramid scheme (up or out)

Ya...that is a good point. Are a lot of people "encouraged" to leave that early in their careers? If not, when does the "encouraging" usually start?

As soon as you start getting FITREPs, you'll know if you're being encouraged to stay and maybe are a "chosen" one. If you are a NTAC, you'll start getting hints (if you really are one, you may not heed or recognize them though). It should be pretty clear when you are up for orders after first fleet tour (based on what you detailer says art of the possible is). Generally, I think there's more encouraging to stay and encouraging to leave is by exception (someone isn't getting the favorite son/daughter treatment and strokes for coveted/choice assignments). If they're only offering Ice Station Zebra for shore duty and then some really obscure disassociated tour, chances are that's encouragement to seek a transition out of Navy. If you seek out a mentor or someone who can pull your record and knows how to evaluate it, you should be aware of what your prospects are and whether it's time to consider an exit strategy.

bradler

Some might not care, but after reading all of the comments and personal reflection... I will be commissioning this Friday, Feb. 8th. Thanks to all who helped this lost one find his way.

P.S.
I am not looking for "cudos" or anything thanks... just putting it out there that the comments and experiences that are shared on AW is worth alot to someone looking for answers.

phrogpilot73

Some might not care, but after reading all of the comments and personal reflection... I will be commissioning this Friday, Feb. 8th. Thanks to all who helped this lost one find his way.

P.S.
I am not looking for "cudos" or anything thanks... just putting it out there that the comments and experiences that are shared on AW is worth alot to someone looking for answers.
Congrats, and enjoy the ride... It will be memorable!