• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone not take a Commission?

bradler

I am curious to hear why some people did not take their commission. I just graduated from USMC OCS 196 and deferred my commission. I graduated top 10% of the class but decided I needed more time to weigh my decision on becoming a officer. I am a pilot contract and was unsure how career progression was for pilots. Also I was worried about if I would enjoy my life style. Could anyone out there please shine some light on the pilot community for the Marine Corps and the family aspect as well as the personal enjoyment of their duties. What you do like about being a pilot and what you don't like? I heard I would only fly 10%-15% of my career and spend the rest doing collateral duties or B billets. I am confused....

I am struggling with my thoughts and maybe looking to far down the life line. I was always the guy before OCS started saying "Why would anyone go through OCS and graduate and then not Commission?" And look what happened........

Thanks

$0.02

You came this far why stop now?
You have a contract, you've completed one of the hardest officer selection programs in the world
You are on the edge of commissioning
You are about to join the Marines, the branch that is known for the commitment of it's members to each other
Sure you may not fly every second that you want to, but that is life. Will you ever fly if you stop now?
Your happiness is a state of mind, a personal choice-your choice.
If you hate the job in ten years you can leave...if you leave now you can't just rewind.
.....your path is laid out before you all you have to do is start walking or or turn away.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I dont get how you went through OCS without already knowing some of that information. Did you not research properly? Not to sound harsh, just curious. We just had a post of someone who DOR'ed and it was because of realizing that the Navy wasn't for him. What I read in your post is that you went and busted your ass not knowing anything about what you were getting into.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
"I was always the guy before OCS started saying "Why would anyone go through OCS and graduate and then not Commission?""

Maybe you just got cold feet. Maybe you are right and the pilot option is not for you. Are there any other aspects of the Marine Corps that interest you? I don't personally know what the repercussions are in the Marines when you "defer" a commission, but I do know you have already made it a lot further than most. You have a great opportunity, and sometimes you just need to step back and look at the pros and cons. I think you have already answered your own questions.

MasterBates

Judging from the Marines I know 10-15% is WAY LOW in total time in flying billets. That's only 2-3 years in a 20 year career. Many spend that long getting wings and RAG complete, nevermind operational tours, or shore duty as an IP.

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
"Maybe you just got cold feet. Maybe you are right and the pilot option is not for you. Are there any other aspects of the Marine Corps that interest you?

I have to say if you don't know if its right for you at this point after making it through OCS yu are going to be hard pressed to go through 18+ months of the hardest aviator training program in the world. I just winged, and there wasn't a day that went by that got any easier. I know what you are getting at about flying then doing a desk job, I struggle with that as well. But I know I will get my hours, and then do some collateral duties for a few tours. That seems to be how it goes (not personal experience but just talking to our instructors). I will say that it is the most challenging but also the most rewarding thing I have ever done, and I only expect it to get cooler from here. Flying at 200 feet down a river is cool, but doing that same thing when the mission is not just training will be even cooler!

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Accept It

Of course you have to do what you want, but I will say this: Just about every senior aviator Marine and Navy alike have told me they would give anything to be able to start over and do it all again. That is something you will never hear out of a fortune 500 CEO or other similar civilian counterpart. If you love aviation flight school for Marine and Navy is like living a dream. There will be many days when you are sitting with you buddies amazed at the fact that you get paid for this stuff. You've done the hard part now have some fun. If you are nervous about leading Marines understand that you will have plenty of time in flight school to observe and learn.

I am finishing up with API and will be entering primary. If you have any more questions PM me.

Maine Vaulter

USMC Candidate - Air
I haven't gone to OCS yet, so take my .02 for what it's worth. When I think about big decisions I try to picture how I would view the decision in 20 years.

When I was trying to deciede what to do with my life I realized that if in 20 years if I regreted not serving there would be nothing I could do about it.

If you are not deadset on flying you could also drop the air contract for a ground one and owe fewer years and try this military life out.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
First let me say that I am all for thoughtful introspection and weighing your options.

That said, if you don't know if you want it by now, you'll never know. It's not for everyone. Step aside and let somebody who would chop off a nut to be there have it.

My .02,

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Don't be an idiot....get the commission, go fly, retire at 42, and then go work in a cubicle.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
My .02c -- I just had one of my best friends turn down his SNA spot... It was a hard thing for me to watch and I can guarantee you that he WILL regret it and wish he had chosen otherwise. Don't let this happen to you. You wouldn't have gone through OCS if you didn't want this. As far as flying is concerned... you'll do plenty of it. Think of it this way... flight school is 2-3 years, and then you'll do at minimum two flying tours (5-6 years). Thats the better part of a decade that you WILL be in the cockpit. However, first and foremost, you will be a Marine Officer and you have to have a passion for that. Be comfortable with being a Marine Officer first, pilot second before choosing to accept your commission.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Either way, as we sit right now, I really appreciate you wasting my Marine Corps' time. Better hurry, the Kool Aids running low.

phrogpilot73

Step aside and let somebody who would chop off a nut to be there have it.
And there are those of us that would chop off a nut to get back... Why does paperwork take so long?!?

To give you an idea of pilot career progression:

TBS: 6 months
Flight School: 2-3 years
FRS: 6 months
Fleet Flying Tour: 4-5 years
B-Billet (can be flying or not): 3 years
Fleet Flying Tour: 3 years
Command & Staff: 1 year
Staff Tour: 3 years
Command/Flying Tour: 2 years

So you can see that most of your time is flying. Once you're a major, the flying MAY slow down, it may not. It all depends on what YOU want to do. Provided that is, that you want to be a Marine Pilot.