• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone know this guy?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
. . . I can't imagine trying to keep sight in an F-4.
It could be done without too much difficulty. While perhaps not as good as a bubble canopy, F-4 rearward visibility was much better than it would appear to be. (I can't comment on the F-8, other than I never heard them complain about it.)

Anyway, if you were very good, you needn't worry about any visibility, "abaft the beam." :D

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
No T@B,

The part that said *edit*. That meant put in your own stuff. To bad I couldn't tell him that I was the 106 Stud of the year huh.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Missiles vs Guns

Only recently has the air war become 'blind' and electronic. But for most of the past century, Richtofen's mentor Boelcke, and his Rules of Success in Air Combat were germane. Aerial gunfighter pilots have been compared to Napoleonic Wars' Cavalrymen, who personified the concepts of honor and chivalry. Their motivation was love of fighting, sport, and hunting. They were "admonished to ride well, die unflinchingly, and acknowledge courageous opponents. So too, are [were] fighting airmen. "
(Gibbons, "The Red Knight of Germany…") Missiles however, have no such thoughts , virtues, or history.

Missiles are distant and impersonal; guns are up close and very personal. Electrons guide missiles; but sweat, guts, guile and muscle guide guns. Missile guidance systems care nothing for friend or foe; gunfighters easily differentiate, yet can and do appreciate a worthy opponent. (unguided missiles are uncommon;unguided fighter pilots are the norm.;) )

Technology and progress - while certainly desirable, necessary, and inevitable - have mostly ended a long and fascinating chapter of aerial warfare.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Here is the reply:

LT Dave Porter,

That is in total error and will be corrected. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I held the Naval Flight Surgeon Rating. We were rated as Class II aviators with a safety pilot.

I don’t know if that is still the procedure today. The aircraft I had the most time in was the TF9-8J.

Dr. Ron Hansrote

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
No T@B,

The part that said *edit*. That meant put in your own stuff. To bad I couldn't tell him that I was the 106 Stud of the year huh.

You can tell him you have more traps than any stud in the history of 106, that you're older than he is, and that you're the official negotiator for the VFA-32 JOPA.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Still doesn't really explain him calling himself a "fighter pilot" if he was a doc . . .

Edit: ^--what they said.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah,

I'd say his profile changed just a bit. He went from being Mr. TopGun, fighter pilot and CQ stud to now just a flight surgeon.

Makes you wonder doent it?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of fakes out there. Personally, I'm all for the public embarassment of them.