• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone know this guy?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....80,000 feet does sound doubtful, the service ceiling on the later F-8's was 60,000, huge difference. However, just before I left the Navy in '73, I was somewhat involved in program in which NASA was using the F-8 in some exotic testing, super hush-hush at the time. .....

For what ever it is worth. Now, back to my Old Parr and a Partagus:icon_smil
Supercritical wing test(s) ... NASA tests .... potential airline applications.

No flight surgeons required. Nothing to look at here, move along people, move along ....

And a Partagas is worth a lot; anytime, anywhere .... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The doctor has an email address on his profile page. If any of you desire to pursue this ... a suggested template follows for a Q/A session with the good doctor. Please feel free to edit the personal data to fit your individual history:

One of your students who questioned your claim to have flown an F-8 Crusader to 80,000 feet suggested that I look at your profile on the Florida Institute of Technology website.

A very interesting biography, indeed. From your bio, I quote:

…”1964 US Naval School of Aviation/Training Command- Naval Flight Surgeon/Aviator/Carrier Qualified/Fighter Pilot-Jet/ Fighter Weapons School….”

You state you got your M.D. in 1963 from the University of Nebraska, and an “aeronautical rating” in 1964 – from the “US Naval School of Aviation”. Tell me, sir … what exactly was that "rating"? Which aircraft did you fly while in the “US Naval School of Aviation/Training Command?? Which aircraft did you become “Carrier Qualified” in? What ship did you CQ on?? And which aircraft did you fly while attending “Fighter Weapons School” … and in what year???

*edit* I am a former Naval Aviator; carrier pilot, attack pilot and adversary pilot. I am a TopGun graduate. I have flown the Boeing 747 for over 25 years. *edit*

Thank you for your time ….

KSUFLY

pilot
The doctor has an email address on his profile page. If any of you desire to pursue this ... a suggested template follows for a Q/A session with the good doctor. Please feel free to edit the personal data to fit your individual history:

One of your students who questioned your claim to have flown an F-8 Crusader to 80,000 feet suggested that I look at your profile on the Florida Institute of Technology website.

A very interesting biography, indeed. From your bio, I quote:

…”1964 US Naval School of Aviation/Training Command- Naval Flight Surgeon/Aviator/Carrier Qualified/Fighter Pilot-Jet/ Fighter Weapons School….”

You state you got your M.D. in 1963 from the University of Nebraska, and an “aeronautical rating” in 1964 – from the “US Naval School of Aviation”. Tell me, sir … what exactly was that "rating"? Which aircraft did you fly while in the “US Naval School of Aviation/Training Command?? Which aircraft did you become “Carrier Qualified” in? What ship did you CQ on?? And which aircraft did you fly while attending “Fighter Weapons School” … and in what year???

*edit* I am a former Naval Aviator; carrier pilot, attack pilot and adversary pilot. I am a TopGun graduate. I have flown the Boeing 747 for over 25 years. *edit*

Thank you for your time ….

Did you e-mail that to him?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
:D

Along with other not to be forgotten instructor criticisms as....

WTFWYT...
ATFQ...
ATQA...
PYBCYM...

Brings back the memories...I've been given all of them. The last one is the stumper...:icon_wink

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In Primary formation, my partner liked to use the expression "DUFA" for the flight callsign. "Doesn't Understand, Flies Anyway"

FlyingBeagle

pilot
What is it with bvll****ters...I don't get it. If you are going to claim something that you didn't do, then at least make it believable! Do they think they are impressing people?

Exactly. Any pilots would probably call you out, and all the rest probably couldn't give a damn what the hell you've done, no matter how impressive, unless you were on some retarded MTV reality show.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Maybe this is off the topic, but wasn't there a version of the F-8 that had an additional rocket engine. 80,000 ft. seems achievable with that.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Maybe this is off the topic, but wasn't there a version of the F-8 that had an additional rocket engine. 80,000 ft. seems achievable with that.

Yep and Yep. Not sure if it ever made it to 80,000, details may still be classified. NASA was doing some very exotic tests with the F-8C airframe in early 70's, including the supercritical wing testing shown in last post. SC wing and Fly-by-wire were only two of the programs. Fact, as I recall, additional powerplant output was required by the FBW engineering.

Back to the good Doc, his claims seem over the top.:icon_rage

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Screw the Doc ... he's full-a bull-a .... but as for a GREAT Navy aircraft and the NASA tests and other "black" F-8 projects:

...." During the late 1950s there was a very real fear that the Soviets would soon have bombers capable of cruising at altitudes of over 60,000 feet. Along with several other companies, Vought sought means by which jet fighters could be able to reach such altitudes and deal with these threats. One technique that was studied was the installation of an auxiliary rocket engine that could help boost the fighter to such high altitudes.

In 1957, Vought planned to install a rocket engine in the tail of a couple of F8U-1s (production numbers 16 and 23. The engine originally planned for this installation was the Reaction Motors XLF-40 which provided 8000 pounds of thrust and was fuelled by a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and jet fuel. Unfortunately, this rocket engine exploded during an early ground text, killing two company mechanics. This accident caused Reaction Motors to pull out of the project, but Vought elected to continue the project using a Rocketdyne XLF-54 engine which gave 6000 pounds of thrust. Although the project never reached flight status, dummy engines were installed above the F8U-1's tail cone just behind the rudder.

In 1969, F-8A BuNo 141354 was turned over to NASA as number 666 :)eek::eek:). It served at NASA's Lewis Research Center as a chase plane for the NF-106B. It was lost in a landing accident later that same year.

[SIZE=+1]F-8A BuNo 141353 was turned over to NASA for supercritical wing research. This type of airfoil reversed the shape of the conventional wing by having the top surface flat and the bottom surface curved. Such a wing allows an aircraft to cruise at speeds closer to Mach 1 without buffeting. It was also hoped that the supercritical wing would reduce takeoff and landing distances as well as contributing to improved low speed handling characteristics.[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Numbered NASA 810, this F-8A was fitted with a new supercritical wing that had a span of 43 feet. The slender long-span wings imparted a graceful, birdlike quality to the plane's appearance. Following the completion of its part in the program, the supercritical wing program was turned over to a converted General Dynamics F-111....."[/SIZE]

Sources:
1. Vought F-8 Crusader, Peter Mersky, Osprey, 1981.

2. Ray Wagner, American Combat Planes, Third Enlarged Edition, Doubleday, 1982.

3. The Aircraft of the World, William Green and Gerald Pollinger, Doubleday, 1965.

4. [SIZE=+1] The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.[/SIZE]

can you say: HUD'n-HUD'n !!!

[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]