• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone Into Shooting "Old Iron"?

Renegade One

None
I gather most of you on this forum are into the newer, high-tech stuff; just wondering if anyone else has a preference for "old iron". Big into Cowboy Action Shooting here in San Diego, where the normal brace for a match is my pair of Ruger Vaqueros (Colt 1873 "clones"), a Winchester 1873 lever-action rifle, and a break-open side-by-side short barrel "stagecoach" type shotgun in 12 gauge. Great fun. Every couple of months, they'll have a "Wild Bunch Match" where the pistols and rifle above get replaced by an Colt 1911 semi-auto and my 1898 Krag carbine in .30-40; shotgun stays the same.

Have been using only "old iron" on the annual Russian boar hunts up in Central Coastal CA as well...a Winchester Model 1895 in .30-06 and a "Trapdoor" Springfield Model 1874 in .45-70, or the same Krag carbine as above. Will lose some options there next time I go due to the non-availability of lead-free ammo in almost anything except .30 caliber, so far as I can tell. No worries.

Anyone else into "olde tyme" shooting irons?
V/R, Spike

FlyinRock

Did a lot of the SASS shooting in the early days at Coto de Caza when the society was not even a gleam. Had lots of fun. Made the macho's upset when I began coaching the women shooters who then proceeded to outshoot the machos.

Tiltedsky

pilot
Funny how I always seem to check the forum at the right time.

I started CAS a few years ago. Its been a great excuse to send lead down range. I started doing the black powder thing about a year ago and thats been a blast. I have a few clone colts, a pair of 1851s, an 1866 carbine, and long barreled 20ga.

brownshoe

Contributor
Anyone else into "olde tyme" shooting irons?
V/R, Spike

These no longer shoot, but are still fun to look at! These were handed down to me over the years. The one pistol of course I know is a Colt, the other one who knows. The long rifle I haven’t a clue. Anyone? Sorry for the threadjack. Kinda related though. I do have a BT99 I shoot… and it’s about 40 years old. That count?:)

Steve

Attachments

• lg1.jpg
    lg1.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 41
  • lg2.jpg
    lg2.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 38
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Always wanted to get into CAS. Haven't seen or heard of anyone doing it anywhere I've lived.

Guess I'll stick to combat pistol.

Bevo16

pilot
I started doing the black powder thing about a year ago and thats been a blast.

Nice.

You have more money to spend on guns than I do. Maybe in my next 30 years. I got a new Colt .45 1911 Mk IV Series 70 about 5 months ago, and I LOVE it. Maybe, someday, I will be able to afford some of those toys.

schwarti

Contributor
At work we do demonstrations with these:

brown_bess.jpg

The certification to be able to do that is pretty annoying, though, and they still haven't gotten me cleared. Jerks. :icon_rage

Redux

These no longer shoot, but are still fun to look at! These were handed down to me over the years. The one pistol of course I know is a Colt, the other one who knows. The long rifle I haven’t a clue. Anyone? Sorry for the threadjack. Kinda related though. I do have a BT99 I shoot… and it’s about 40 years old. That count?:)

Steve

The one on the far right looks like a 1860 Remington, total piece of shit, you should let me dispose of it for you. :eek:

brownshoe

Contributor
The one on the far right looks like a 1860 Remington, total piece of shit, you should let me dispose of it for you. :eek:

Actually if you look closely the word "Colts" appears on the pistol. How is it a Remington? Just curious, I know nothing about these weapons.

Steve

Redux

Actually if you look closely the word "Colts" appears on the pistol. How is it a Remington? Just curious, I know nothing about these weapons.

Steve

Beats hell out of me, I've seen it "advertised" both ways, maybe I'm confused on it but it's still neat as all get out. My offer still stands and I'll pay the gas. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Is that a original that's been redone or a repo? :confused:
Dunno ... that's just a generic pix I found quickly ... looks like it might be a new production repro 'cause of the "unissued" condition of the stock ... not to worry, however ... I've got a good "stock" of the "real deal" ... :D

A better investment than real estate or diamonds. :icon_wink