• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anybody been to FT Lewis for their pre-deployment IA/GSA training?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
The whole thing screams half-ass as does the entire IA/GSA bullshit. It doesn't surprise me though. I've come to expect a ton of half-assness after 16 years in the Navy.

For a while I was a designated briefer at Indian Head at the course for deploying EWOs. (Not a bad way to score a couple of drills; hit down arrow on the Powerpoint, tell some funny stories, done...) Never have I met groups of more bitter individuals in my life, and I can't say I blame them - especially after hearing stories about their training up to that point. The entire IA process, end-to-end, is a testimony to small minds, least common denominators, Mickey Mouse BS, and hurry-up-and-wait. Senior leadership seems immune to the horror stories; as long as they can continue to brief "X thousand sailors deployed" in The Tank, then it sounds like we're involved in the war, and a fundamentally broken process doesn't get fixed.

Not to say good isn't being accomplished by the folks who've gotten the rose pinned on them, just that the "pain-to-gain" ratio is *way* out of whack.

(Had I hung out with more SWOs, I'm sure they could have out-bittered these groups.... :icon_smil)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For a while I was a designated briefer at Indian Head at the course for deploying EWOs. (Not a bad way to score a couple of drills; hit down arrow on the Powerpoint, tell some funny stories, done...)

Were you briefing guys in Feb 07? Now I'm wondering if you briefed my class.:eek:

-ea6bflyr ;)

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Were you briefing guys in Feb 07? Now I'm wondering if you briefed my class.:eek:

-ea6bflyr ;)

If you remember me as being dashing and brilliant - then no, it probably wasn't me.... :icon_tong

That's about the right timeframe, though. I briefed "Airborne Stuff" for 3 cycles of EWOs. Most of the Prowler guys recoiled in horror when they realized a Spy was briefing them on this stuff, but they quickly realized that a) I actually did in fact know the stuff cold, b) I subscribe to the "faster, funnier" rule, and c) am a helluva briefer. (No kidding - I'm the shiznit!) Non-Prowler dudes were awed by my knowledges and never noticed my Spyness...

So, if a -209 bubba was your briefer and seemed to have a huge brain, then it was probably me!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
For a while I was a designated briefer at Indian Head at the course for deploying EWOs. (Not a bad way to score a couple of drills; hit down arrow on the Powerpoint, tell some funny stories, done...) Never have I met groups of more bitter individuals in my life, and I can't say I blame them - especially after hearing stories about their training up to that point. The entire IA process, end-to-end, is a testimony to small minds, least common denominators, Mickey Mouse BS, and hurry-up-and-wait. Senior leadership seems immune to the horror stories; as long as they can continue to brief "X thousand sailors deployed" in The Tank, then it sounds like we're involved in the war, and a fundamentally broken process doesn't get fixed.

Not to say good isn't being accomplished by the folks who've gotten the rose pinned on them, just that the "pain-to-gain" ratio is *way* out of whack.

(Had I hung out with more SWOs, I'm sure they could have out-bittered these groups.... :icon_smil)

My guess is the folks who started this never did an IA but certainly reaped some awards, literally, from it. It's not necessarily the job but the journey in getting there. Some folks loved what they did and others, not so much. I whole heartedly agree with your assessment. In general, the Navy wants followers, not leaders up top. But I digress...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That's about the right timeframe, though. I briefed "Airborne Stuff" for 3 cycles of EWOs.

I came through Indian Head in September 2007 in the third wave, so I probably talked to you sometime that week. That was when the Blackwater incident in Nisoor Square happened and GEN Petraeus was testifying before Congress. I remember the airborne briefs... I remember a lot of briefs. I think we had a 408 guy brief some of their stuff too.

We critiqued the crap out of the climate control, I think it was colder in that classroom than it was outside, heheh.

PS- to Bunk, I'm one of the guys who Meat put you in touch with a couple months ago when you were first considering this adventure.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I came through Indian Head in September 2007 in the third wave, so I probably talked to you sometime that week. That was when the Blackwater incident in Nisoor Square happened and GEN Petraeus was testifying before Congress. I remember the airborne briefs... I remember a lot of briefs. I think we had a 408 guy brief some of their stuff too.

We critiqued the crap out of the climate control, I think it was colder in that classroom than it was outside, heheh.

PS- to Bunk, I'm one of the guys who Meat put you in touch with a couple months ago when you were first considering this adventure.

Oh okay. I got two emails on my NMCI account, both with good info. Thanks. We'll see how it goes, I'll get there right in the middle of summer, nice and hot :icon_rage

Clux4

Banned
Oh okay. I got two emails on my NMCI account, both with good info. Thanks. We'll see how it goes, I'll get there right in the middle of summer, nice and hot :icon_rage

Just don't forget your cold weather gear !:icon_tong

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
I'm an Army rotor guy at Ft Lewis as well. feel free to PM me and I'll give you my cell if you need any help.

MR-