• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anybody been to FT Lewis for their pre-deployment IA/GSA training?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Got my orders and that's where I'm going. Anybody been there and/or completed the training there as well? I get there end of May 09.

swerdna

None
Contributor
Got my orders and that's where I'm going. Anybody been there and/or completed the training there as well? I get there end of May 09.

I've been there a few times, though it was with the National Guard. I'll try to answer any questions you have.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I've been there a few times, though it was with the National Guard. I'll try to answer any questions you have.

Barrack living is my guess? Decent facilities? Base could have changed since your time.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did some work there with JIEDDO.

Nice base, big...huge in fact by Navy standards.

swerdna

None
Contributor
Barrack living is my guess? Decent facilities? Base could have changed since your time.

I spent some time in the field there, and they put us up in some old WWII barracks. You'll probably get better facilities though. The post is basically divided in two, North Ft Lewis, and the main Ft Lewis. Facilities aren't bad, they've been building a lot, including new barracks and supposedly a PX.

The location isn't good though, it's pretty far south of Seattle. And I wouldn't recommend going to Tacoma. It will probably still be cold in May.

this might help:

http://www.lewis.army.mil/

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I checked out the website, the base looks like it's in a pretty area. Not sure if they will give me weekend liberty. I hate barracks living. I'm getting to old for that but I did volunteer for this so no bitching!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ft. Lewis Lodge -- I've stayed there -- very comfortable.

Lewis Hall -- TDY facility w/one bedroom suites w/ private bath.

Bronson Hall -- 1930's historic building -- don't know much about it; lots of suites -- it has 16 one-bedroom suites with private baths in addition to DV suites. All rooms have micro fridge's and made to order breakfast service is offered ...

Ft. Lewis Lodging wins "operation of the year" award

Ft. Lewis history 1927-2008

*edit* ... You've gotta' have a rental car if you want to see more than your room and the BX when off duty ....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think though as part of my joint Army training, we have to live like soldiers in training, in barracks. In S. Korea back in 2000, I did an IA. Spent time living in barracks. An O-6 was on the bottom bunk.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I think though as part of my joint Army training, we have to live like soldiers, in barracks.

Bullshit -- you're an Officer. A field grade Officer in Army-speak. Did they TELL you that you were going to have to go "grunt" ??? Even the Army O's don't stay in the barracks ... :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bullshit -- you're an Officer. A field grade Officer in Army-speak. Did they TELL you that you were going to have to go "grunt" ??? Even the Army O's don't stay in the barracks ... :)

Again A4's, I don't really know. Didn't know if standard or different from base to base. More importantly, will we have Starbucks? :D

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^Bunkster....

evidently you know what you're going to be doing... Flash is or was in the same predicament a few weeks ago and I got him the email that was passed to me for the head Navy Air IA/GSA Poobah. I'm going to Ft. Hood/Eglin for 3 Mos...... where are you going??

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
^Bunkster....

evidently you know what you're going to be doing... Flash is or was in the same predicament a few weeks ago and I got him the email that was passed to me for the head Navy Air IA/GSA Poobah. I'm going to Ft. Hood/Eglin for 3 Mos...... where are you going??

I'm going to be an EWO. I was offered the same job you have or will have.
It was a total of 14 months though vs 11 months for mine. I'm going to Ft Lewis for 4 weeks.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None

When I went through Ft Jackson 2 1/2 years ago, there was only enough "BOQ" space for O-5 and above. Two O-5s to a room with a communal shower down the hall. There were two O-6s and we each had single rooms and shared the head / shower in between the rooms like the old BOQ @ Oceana and most other bases. O-4 and below were in squad bay bunks, intermingled w/ the Sailors. We pitched a fit to at least get the officers housed together in one section of the squad bay. It wasn't like there were vacancies, and quite frankly, McCready was so remote from the rest of the base that it would have been stupid to even consider staying in the BOQ...it would have just addend another hour onto an already long day. And, yes, they told us what to expect prior to arrival. Compared to some of the facilities in CENTCOM, it isn't that bad. Better than the ship - at least we had windows, and a bar for a cold beverage within 100 feet of berthing.

Pretty sure Lewis will be similar.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

• Berthing is open-bay style Army barracks with a common head equipped with one washer and one dryer.
  • Each Sailor will be assigned/issued a bed, pillows, linens, blankets, and lockers.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

This does NOT look good ... :) ... I don't know whether the following link applies to you or whether you've seen it, but:

Expeditionary Combat Readiness Center, Ft. Lewis, WA

You're in the Army now, Bruddah .... or should we say "BOOT" ??? :)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everybody was in barracks at Ft Jackson. The higher the paygrade, the nicer the barracks, but they were still barracks. E-6 & below got the older open-bay, E-7 & above got the newer open-bay, O-5 & up got the "DV quarters", which were the same barracks but divided up into two-man rooms. I don't know if it's the same in WA, but wouldn't surprise me.

Assuming it's the same, show up like you're going to the Boat. Bring your own linens and whatnot, because what you're issued sucks. There was always a long line at the mini-PX that first Sunday night because no one realized how much of your own shit you had to bring.

And assuming it's the same rules, we did get weekend libs. They usually turned us loose on Saturday morning, be back for Monday 0600 formation.