• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any word on scholarships yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickAg

pilot
Just a note, I got mine in 2001, so the process may have changed. You have to put down at least three choices when you apply for your NROTC scholarship. However, there is room for five. Then you say I strongly desire my first choice school, I would like my first choice school but would take any of the others, or I would be happy with any one of the schools. The Navy then assigns your scholarship to one of the 3-5 schools depending on how full each school is and what you put as to your desires. The potential midshipman is responsible for applying (and getting in) to the schools of his/her choice. Clear as mud?

DMeix

High School Peon
From what I understand, the scholarship is given to the individual, but the individual must submit his or her schools of choice. The Navy then assigns that individual to the detachment at one of those schools based on "the needs of the service, and the size of the brigade" there.

You can change the school that you use the scholarship for, but you have to write CNET and provide justification for the change. As I got the scholarship before being accepted to any schools yet, I anticipate that the school I use it for will change.

You can take the scholarship to any of the NROTC universities, provided you gain admission as any other student would.

Again, this is my understanding...if i am wrong, anyone feel free to correct me.

palatinexc

Student
They make a big deal about you having to be accepted at the school in order for the scholorship to take effect or switch while there is still time. At one of the NROTC units I visited over the summer, they said they had some College Program midshipmen who actually recieved the scholorship, yet were not accepted at their first choice school. The unit they were at now ended up already having their scholorship slots full so they had to deny their scholarships and enter as non-scholarship. Nothing has changed from what SlickAg said.

USN99

USN99
None
Thanks for the update

Thanks.

What would seem to be "clear as mud" is made rather precise as I read the comments of "palatinexc". CNET seems to be managing the numbers from a position behind the scenes. Their hand in this only becomes apparent when a unit starts to surpass the CNET "quota". But it all seems to work out pretty much.

I've always observed that neither BUPERS nor CNET will change any of their personnel policies until they don't get enough of the right talent. Getting just enough of the right talent, of course, precludes most interest in getting more of the right talent or making any improvements to their policies. This one seems to be working by getting enough of the right talent.

Thanks, again for taking the time to answer my question.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Keep updating this... I haven't received word yet... I applied back in September... My girlfriend who applied at the end of december found out like 2 weeks ago she got hers to Texas A&M...

Hermit

Thanks for keeping this thread going, I have still not heard anything. What is the latest date anyone has heard? When is the last board? Should the unit know where they stand regarding their alotted slots? I will be glad to uncross my fingers and hear something!!

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
As will I

Yeah I think the latest we could hear is sometime in April... April 15th is ringing a bell for me, but don't quote me on that... Last year the latest they told was May 24th, I recall. I hope that doesn't happen this year!

USN99

USN99
None
Some anecdotes

-My nephew received his appointment to USNA earlier this month.
-From this thread it appears that the Navy tends to spread out their notifications of NROTC sholarship awards.
-The advice about becoming a non-scholarship NROTC MIDN is solid advice. It gives you the chance to showcase yourself to the NROTC PNS and instructors while you continue to make application for the scholarship. The endorsement of the PNS carries weight.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
May 24 sounds about right in terms of last year. I heard about one or two days before graduation, and I graduated May 25.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Scha-wing!

Just found out I got a 4 year Navy Option to Penn State... I'm pretty excited! :D :D :) :icon_mi_1 :icon_mi_1 :) :D :tongue2_1

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Thanks Hermit... I responded to your email dude... good luck with you

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
Just found out I got a 4 year Navy Option to Penn State... I'm pretty excited! :D :D :) :icon_mi_1 :icon_mi_1 :) :D :tongue2_1
"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." (j/k)

Congrats on getting in. GO STATE!

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Take your NROTC scholarship, don't even wait for the Academy. I know tons of Academy guys who wished they did what I did. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.