• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anxiety Attacks-Possible NPQ

jdvjnj96

Hey everybody.

This is my first post, so I will try to make this short and sweet (emphasis on try). I am currently in the Primary portion of flight school with 6 years prior service as an aircrewman and just passed my 1 year mark since commissioning. This past week I have been experiencing severe anxiety and depression (due to several factors - personal and work) and I immediately called Fleet and Family to make a counseling appointment. I brought this appointment up with my class advisor and he recommended I go through a HFB (Human Factors Board) with my CoC which included my XO, STUCON O, Flight Doc, and a couple other DH's. They were receptive and spoke about several resources (ya know, the required spiel) and told me that they are here for me no matter what happens...Well fast forward a couple of days, I started hyperventilating, had heat flashes, was sweating, heart rate spiked, etc. to the point where I had my first ever anxiety attack and had to go to the ER. The ER doc prescribed me anti-anxiety meds, to which I immediately notified my flight doc (being in a flight status and all) and was told to not take it as prescribed so I do not become reliant on it since I would be unable to continue the medication while in training. My squadron has put me on a Med Hold from training until I get a few fleet and family sessions in and flight doc determining if the anxiety is severe enough to keep me from training and possibly have NAMI "NPQ" me from Aviation.

Due to timing with the holidays, there is quite a wait between fleet and family appointments and my first actual session is in a week. I am just wondering if anybody else has gone through this and if they have any insight. I've always had general anxiety, but never to this extreme to where I felt like I couldn't physically move or calm down and it really scared me. That's also the only reason I brought it up initially to my command because it has never been debilitating before and I just didn't know what to do. Since the anxiety attack, I have felt like now my body is feeling the shock of it. For example, high anxiety 24/7, feeling like there is a weight on my chest, my resting HR randomly spiking to over 100 when my average resting HR is around 60, feeling like I can't take full breaths, trouble sleeping, all on top of my depressive symptoms.

I guess I'm just looking for some kind of guidance as to different possibilities for my career if my mental health issues don't subside within a reasonable timeframe and I do get the official NPQ. I have read up on the POCR process and know at the end of the day it's usually "needs of the navy" that wins. I'm just worried that I worked so hard to get to this point, to get redesignated into another community. All advice is welcome and appreciated. I apologize for the long post, I shortened it up as much as possible. Thanks again!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey everybody.

This is my first post, so I will try to make this short and sweet (emphasis on try). I am currently in the Primary portion of flight school with 6 years prior service as an aircrewman and just passed my 1 year mark since commissioning. This past week I have been experiencing severe anxiety and depression (due to several factors - personal and work) and I immediately called Fleet and Family to make a counseling appointment. I brought this appointment up with my class advisor and he recommended I go through a HFB (Human Factors Board) with my CoC which included my XO, STUCON O, Flight Doc, and a couple other DH's. They were receptive and spoke about several resources (ya know, the required spiel) and told me that they are here for me no matter what happens...Well fast forward a couple of days, I started hyperventilating, had heat flashes, was sweating, heart rate spiked, etc. to the point where I had my first ever anxiety attack and had to go to the ER. The ER doc prescribed me anti-anxiety meds, to which I immediately notified my flight doc (being in a flight status and all) and was told to not take it as prescribed so I do not become reliant on it since I would be unable to continue the medication while in training. My squadron has put me on a Med Hold from training until I get a few fleet and family sessions in and flight doc determining if the anxiety is severe enough to keep me from training and possibly have NAMI "NPQ" me from Aviation.

Due to timing with the holidays, there is quite a wait between fleet and family appointments and my first actual session is in a week. I am just wondering if anybody else has gone through this and if they have any insight. I've always had general anxiety, but never to this extreme to where I felt like I couldn't physically move or calm down and it really scared me. That's also the only reason I brought it up initially to my command because it has never been debilitating before and I just didn't know what to do. Since the anxiety attack, I have felt like now my body is feeling the shock of it. For example, high anxiety 24/7, feeling like there is a weight on my chest, my resting HR randomly spiking to over 100 when my average resting HR is around 60, feeling like I can't take full breaths, trouble sleeping, all on top of my depressive symptoms.

I guess I'm just looking for some kind of guidance as to different possibilities for my career if my mental health issues don't subside within a reasonable timeframe and I do get the official NPQ. I have read up on the POCR process and know at the end of the day it's usually "needs of the navy" that wins. I'm just worried that I worked so hard to get to this point, to get redesignated into another community. All advice is welcome and appreciated. I apologize for the long post, I shortened it up as much as possible. Thanks again!

Disclaimer 1: Not a doctor.
Disclaimer 2: Not a 13XX.

I think you need to place your mental health as a top priority instead of everything else to include a medboard, human factors council, flight training, POCR, etc. You've been prescribed a treatment plan when you went to the ER and when you disregarded it, continued to have the same episodes if not worse.

Get seen, come up with a treatment plan, and just hope for the best. Trying to map out different plans and strategies is only going to make your mental health worse.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I agree with the prior post, and associate myself with his disclaimers.
The ER doc prescribed me anti-anxiety meds, to which I immediately notified my flight doc (being in a flight status and all) and was told to not take it as prescribed so I do not become reliant on it since I would be unable to continue the medication while in training.

Most flight docs mean well, but when you realize they are just chuckleheads straight out of med school not having done their residency, then you can proceed accordingly. Especially, when they are advising you how to stay 'up'..

Best of luck!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I would definitely seek some counseling and assistance now, as it seems like you are doing. If you've never done talk therapy before, you may find it surprisingly effective.

Meds... I have my own opinion on those and our cultural proclivity towards them, but I would be very careful either way. Not sure your flight doc is wrong, but maybe get a second (third?) opinion.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You need to take your mental health seriously.

Fleet and family resources are good for acute therapy, but you really need to find a regular therapist to help deal with the stresses in your life and come up with plans on how to deal with them so they don't manifest physically.

I agree with @sevenhelmet about meds (though there are some mental health conditions out there where taking meds is absolutely necessary). ER docs are great for acute care and treatment, the meds will calm you down now. I wouldn't necessarily trust the pre residency flight doc for anything more than a flight physical or a z-pack for a sinus infection. They just don't have the experience or training to do anything else.

If a panic attack put you in the ER, it's time to see real mental health professionals who can get you back to healthy.

I know that it sucks, and it's grounding you now and no one wants to leave the cockpit. But that can be temporary. Don't wait until it's so bad that it's permanent.

jdvjnj96

Thank you all for the advice and words of encouragement. I will definitely put my mental health first and the rest will follow. I did make an appointment with Mental Health, but of course they are backed up until the end of January. Right now my plan is to stick with fleet and family until I begin speaking with Mental Health and pretty much go from there.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Thank you all for the advice and words of encouragement. I will definitely put my mental health first and the rest will follow. I did make an appointment with Mental Health, but of course they are backed up until the end of January. Right now my plan is to stick with fleet and family until I begin speaking with Mental Health and pretty much go from there.

I should say two more things. One is good on you for speaking up and being honest. That can be a hard thing to do. I was the guy who didn't speak up, even denying my stressors, until it was too late and it effected my performance in the airplane for way too long.

Two is to not be afraid of seeking a therapist on the outside. Whether TriCare covers it or not isn't too much of an issue for an officer. Perhaps set the alcohol aside for a bit and spend that money at betterhelp.com, or someone out in town.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Agree with all of the above.

Flying right now isn’t the important issue, getting your mental health back into your control is. You’ve recognized that and taken steps to address it. Thats a huge win. Early recognition and seeking treatment pays long term gains.

I’ve got a buddy who had mental health issues that were exacerbated by flight school and fleet life. They got pretty bad and he called it quits on flying in order to get on the meds he needed. He wanted to get out so set up is POCR to do so. Hasn’t regretted it to this day, years later.

I know a couple others who DOR’d over anxiety from flying and they’ve all had productive and successful lives. They’re all still in the reserves but have a civilian life.

There’s a therapist finder on this site that may be useful to you. You can search by zip code, insurance, type of therapy etc.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Disclaimer 1: Not a doctor.
Disclaimer 2: Not a 13XX.

I think you need to place your mental health as a top priority instead of everything else to include a medboard, human factors council, flight training, POCR, etc. You've been prescribed a treatment plan when you went to the ER and when you disregarded it, continued to have the same episodes if not worse.

Get seen, come up with a treatment plan, and just hope for the best. Trying to map out different plans and strategies is only going to make your mental health worse.

100% agree your mental health is very important. From past life experience in my family. For my family member it started with anxiety/depression and refusal to listen to the docs. Then it spiraled downhill. Those are days I replay over and over in my head what I could’ve done differently to help. I was there when it all happened, and the one thing I wish I did better was making sure he was committed and I made sure that he was committed to the therapy.

I’m only a pro rec y SNA but anytime I see anyone anywhere with mental health issues I try and make sure I can help. I didn’t think it was real before but I do now and it is real. Try therapy first, and then try the meds.

I’m no doctor so this isn’t advice just my two cents.