• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthropometric issues (are you too big or even too small or...)

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
You shouldn't have to have a flight surgeon do it...I had mine re-done by one of my LTs when Pensacola called saying my buttock-knee length was that of a hobbit.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You shouldn't have to have a flight surgeon do it...I had mine re-done by one of my LTs when Pensacola called saying my buttock-knee length was that of a hobbit.

You shouldn't have to send in the data twice, either, but it's not a perfect world.

getmeinaf18

Is there a minimum height for Marine Pilot?

I'm only 5'4 and done growing. I'm about to pursue a Marine Fighter Pilot goal but I'm worried that I am too short. I can't find any info on minimum height requirements. Does anyone know?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Height isn't so important as these numbers are. There's a way they take each one. If you google it, you can see how they do each one, and maybe with some help get a rough approximation.

As far as I can tell, I'm just in the zone on my BKL... short like you.

FOR MALE SNA:

1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 29.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: greater than 22 inches, but less than 26.5 inches
3. Sitting Height: greater than 34 inches, but less than 38.8 inches

FOR FEMALE SNA:

3. Sitting Height: greater than 33.5 inches, but less than 38.8 inches

FOR SNFO (MALE OR FEMALE):

1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 27.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: 20.5 inches or greater
3. Sitting Height: 32 inches or greater

The following guidelines give directions as far as height concerns. Generally an applicant between 66" and 74" will be compatible for all pipelines.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Whay would a female pilot not need the extra half inch of sitting height that a male needs? Why would gender even matter (except for politics)?

getmeinaf18

Sweet, thats good info.
Now I did some google searching on anthropometric compatibility and it looks like different measurement ranges are compatible with different aircraft. Does anyone know where I can find charts that list specific compatibilty, or are the ranges above compatible with any aircraft type?

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
acft specific

As posted in a previous thread...

FOR SNA:
1. IF 64 INCHES OR GREATER, BUT LESS THAN 76 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH AT LEAST TWO PIPELINES (SOMETIMES THREE)

2. IF GREATER THAN 76 INCHES, BUT LESS THAN 78 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH ONLY ONE PIPELINE (NORMALLY PROPS), BUT POSSIBLY TWO PIPELINES (DEPENDS ON SITTING HT).

3. IF LESS THAN 64 INCHES:
• SAFE ANTHROPOMETRICS COMPATIBILITY WITH ANY PIPELINE IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

• INDIVIDUAL IN QUESTION SHOULD BE SENT TO NOMI FOR OFFICIAL ANTHROPOMETRIC MEASUREMENT AND EVALUATION BY NASC FLIGHT PHYSIOLOGIST
FOR SNFO:
1. IF BETWEEN 64 INCHES AND 78 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH TWO PIPELINES (PROP & JET), BUT POSSIBLE AIRCRAFT RESTRICTIONS SUCH AS THE EA-6B FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH SITTING HEIGHTS GREATER THAN 37.4 INCHES.

2. IF BETWEEN 60 INCHES AND 64 INCHES:
MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH TWO PIPELINES (PROP & JET), BUT POSSIBLE AIRCRAFT RESTRICTIONS SUCH AS THE T-2, F/A-18, AND EA-6B FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH FUNCTIONAL REACHES LESS THAN 27.5 INCHES (T-REX ARMS).

gunnar_034

*I'm about to pursue a Marine Fighter Pilot goal*

It's a great goal to have, but if there's one thing I have learned from reading thread after thread...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Whay would a female pilot not need the extra half inch of sitting height that a male needs? Why would gender even matter (except for politics)?

Women's hips are placed differently than men's for baby carrying purposes. There are physiological differences between the sexes, you know.

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
Height isn't so important as these numbers are. There's a way they take each one. If you google it, you can see how they do each one, and maybe with some help get a rough approximation.

As far as I can tell, I'm just in the zone on my BKL... short like you.

FOR MALE SNA:

3. Sitting Height: greater than 34 inches, but less than 38.8 inches

FOR FEMALE SNA:

3. Sitting Height: greater than 33.5 inches, but less than 38.8 inches

FOR SNFO (MALE OR FEMALE):

1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 27.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: 20.5 inches or greater
3. Sitting Height: 32 inches or greater

The following guidelines give directions as far as height concerns. Generally an applicant between 66" and 74" will be compatible for all pipelines.

Keep in mind that these numbers are only for flying jets. Don't know the exact numbers, but if you're slightly out of this range, you might still be able to fly C-130's or Helos for the Marines. You can google the OPNAVINST with all the exact numbers.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Women's hips are placed differently than men's for baby carrying purposes. There are physiological differences between the sexes, you know.

Women are different? Really? Gee, with a wife and three daughters you'd think I would know that.

My point is that anthropometric measurements are supposed to be a physical limitation based on operating an aircraft. Can you get full throw on all control surfaces? Can you see all of your instruments? Can you reach all of your switches?

Why would it require a male to be X tall (or long or sit high enough, etc) and a female to be Y tall for the same aircraft?

I've never heard of "hip width" being any kind of determining factor for flying. WTF?

If we're going to talk about "boat ass" and it's social ramifications, then that is another discussion entirely.