• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthropometric issues (are you too big or even too small or...)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, question here. When I went down in march to great lakes the HN measured me at 39.5 on the sitting height. This is nearly an inch over what I was measured at 2 1/2 years ago. Now, being 29 I am quite certain that I have been done growing for the past several years. So, do I need to get remeasured down at great lakes, or do those measurements not count? I heard that the ones that really matter are down at P'cola. I have to go back down to GL for all the waiver stuff dealing w/ a LOC. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal to talk to the HN and get remeasured if that's what is necessary.

You're essentially right there. You'll go through anthro as part of your NOMI physical and those firgures are what will be used to determine your elligibility for various platforms. I suspect there are some techniques you could use to shorten yourself if you're close.

Brett

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
So gone are the days of being actually measured in the aircraft?

I remember several of us going to KNPA and sitting in each training aircraft and getting evaluated. That's if we had one or more anthro out of "limits."

This was a good change for me. Everytime I jump in the t-45 i swear it looks like my knee caps will stay in the plane if i pull that little black and yellow handle.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Anthropometrics

I was looking through some of the stuff on Air Warriors about anthropometrics. I was planning on applying for BDCP for SNA and SNFO in the spring of next year.

The buttock-knee length, from my searches, appears to max at 26.5 or 26 inches. I'm a mere 5'11" or so in height, but I must have disproportionately long legs because I think that I, at best, BARELY make that requirement. I sat down on a hard surface with a hard backing and pushed myself back against it, sitting up straight. I then measured from the hard surface at my back to the tip of my knee, and it's right in the 26-26.5 inch range. This is with a tape measure.

I guess that very well may make me ineligible to fly in any Navy aircraft. Is there any way I can find out for sure before I fill out my BDCP, or is that pretty much something I would do at API? Assuming I go through all the jazz and I get to API and I don't make the cut, will they just put me into Intel, Supply, SWO, etc?

Sorry about the dumb questions that you probably answered before. I didn't see anything about this specifically. Also, I guess I could possibly have a little extra weight I could lose, so maybe if that were gone my butt would fit back a little further. But I wouldn't count on any serious reductions.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
I see we have another valley of the sun visitor here :)

They do your anthro measurements as part as your application. The processor will take a basic set to make sure you roughly fit, then MEPS for your final select will give the exact ones. You won't even go to API/OCS if you don't fit any pipeline.

Do a search, it's a great and under-used feature of the website.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
That bkl of 26.5 would put you over the limit for jets, the T45 specifically, but it is nowhere enough to keep you from being a pilot in another platform. You hit the best method to make it smaller, just drop some weight. Also, the NOMI measurements are a lot more accurate, so you may not have anything to worry about.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I question your measurement. I'm 75 inches tall and very gangely and my length is about the same as yours.

Unless of course you are Homestar Runner. Then you might also have trouble with the reach requirement.

HomestarRunnerClearStix.jpg

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Thank you everyone for the quick responses.
They do your anthro measurements as part as your application. The processor will take a basic set to make sure you roughly fit, then MEPS for your final select will give the exact ones. You won't even go to API/OCS if you don't fit any pipeline.

Do a search, it's a great and under-used feature of the website.
Thanks for the info. I also did a search and it appears NFOs have different requirements, so even if I didn't fit there's that option (assuming I even get SNA instead of SNFO).

That bkl of 26.5 would put you over the limit for jets, the T45 specifically, but it is nowhere enough to keep you from being a pilot in another platform. You hit the best method to make it smaller, just drop some weight. Also, the NOMI measurements are a lot more accurate, so you may not have anything to worry about.
Oh, that's good. So it sounds like I was making a big deal out of nothing.

I question your measurement. I'm 75 inches tall and very gangely and my length is about the same as yours.

Unless of course you are Homestar Runner. Then you might also have trouble with the reach requirement.
You're right. I redid the measurement like 5 times this morning and I keep getting less than 25 inches. Not sure what I was doing wrong before. Nice Strongbad reference :)

Looks like this was not a problem anyway. Thanks for the good information.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Semi-related question- Is there anywhere online that one could find the specific anthro requirements for each airframe? I'm good for a female NFO I know, but I'm just curious into which platforms I fit.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Semi-related question- Is there anywhere online that one could find the specific anthro requirements for each airframe? I'm good for a female NFO I know, but I'm just curious into which platforms I fit.

That info is for some gawdawful reason not available for public distribution. If you have access to a computer on a .mil domain you can probably find it. If you have a particularly resourceful advisor there he/she might be able to hook you up, too.