• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthropometric issues (are you too big or even too small or...)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I got measured by the local enlisted recruiter who was smokin and jokin the whole time. He took his time and I ended up ok. Although at a modest 5'11, I don't think I'd be anthroed out of any airframe anyway. No freakishly disproportionate limbs or torso.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
This is a timely post because another guy from my unit and myself are being sent back to NOMI get our anthro sheets updated. What I had heard was that there were new req's that recently came out, but it seemed a bit confusing to me because my physical was done a month ago, and the other guy who is going with me had one nearly as recently (and the others who got physicals with him that day apparently do not need to go back). So I'm wondering what changed that only requires me and one other guy to go back out of a group of maybe 7 folks in my class who had physicals done in the last 6 months. Could it have just been a mistake made on the old physical? It must be important since they are sending us 500 miles out of our way to personally get one sheet filled out.

zachary2777

Banned
When I got measured for cruise I was measured by a green enlisted reservist with a tape measurer. It was in no way accurate or near the way NOMI does it. I was cleared to go on my aviation cruise to Lemoore though. I need to get remeasured in P-cola when I get there because the measurements they have on me now are WAY off.

I got the feeling that my aviation physical for cruise was like saying "you're probably OK to fly" rather than definitive.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When I got measured for cruise I was measured by a green enlisted reservist with a tape measurer. It was in no way accurate or near the way NOMI does it. I was cleared to go on my aviation cruise to Lemoore though. I need to get remeasured in P-cola when I get there because the measurements they have on me now are WAY off.

I got the feeling that my aviation physical for cruise was like saying "you're probably OK to fly" rather than definitive.

yeah, my unit went WAY overboard (or maybe there actually are regs that they were following) compared to your experience. We not only were qualified for SNA beforehand, we also did the full physiology and survival training, and then had to check out in both the GRU(EA)7 and NACES seats. Definitely a bit of a hurdle to get over just to go on cruise, but I guess they wanted to make sure that we were aviation prospects at least.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Do requirements vary drastically from one airframe to another?

This has been discussed a ton in the past. Here's a post by Brett that sums it up.

*Note*, these are from CNRC's site and may not accurately reflect the recent changes for EA-6B sitting height. Hopefully this will clear up some of the misconceptions in this thread.

ANTHRO REQUIREMENTS:

FOR MALE SNA:
1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 29.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: greater than 22 inches, but less than 26.5 inches
3. Sitting Height: greater than 34 inches, but less than 38.8 inches
FOR FEMALE SNA:
1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 29.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: greater than 22 inches, but less than 26.5 inches
3. Sitting Height: greater than 33.5 inches, but less than 38.8 inches
FOR SNFO (MALE OR FEMALE):
1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 27.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: 20.5 inches or greater
3. Sitting Height: 32 inches or greater
The following guidelines give directions as far as height concerns. Generally an applicant between 66" and 74" will be compatible for all pipelines.

FOR SNA:
1. IF 64 INCHES OR GREATER, BUT LESS THAN 76 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH AT LEAST TWO PIPELINES (SOMETIMES THREE)

2. IF GREATER THAN 76 INCHES, BUT LESS THAN 78 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH ONLY ONE PIPELINE (NORMALLY PROPS), BUT POSSIBLY TWO PIPELINES (DEPENDS ON SITTING HT).

3. IF LESS THAN 64 INCHES:
• SAFE ANTHROPOMETRICS COMPATIBILITY WITH ANY PIPELINE IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

• INDIVIDUAL IN QUESTION SHOULD BE SENT TO NOMI FOR OFFICIAL ANTHROPOMETRIC MEASUREMENT AND EVALUATION BY NASC FLIGHT PHYSIOLOGIST
FOR SNFO:
1. IF BETWEEN 64 INCHES AND 78 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH TWO PIPELINES (PROP & JET), BUT POSSIBLE AIRCRAFT RESTRICTIONS SUCH AS THE EA-6B FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH SITTING HEIGHTS GREATER THAN 37.4 INCHES.

2. IF BETWEEN 60 INCHES AND 64 INCHES:
MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH TWO PIPELINES (PROP & JET), BUT POSSIBLE AIRCRAFT RESTRICTIONS SUCH AS THE T-2, F/A-18, AND EA-6B FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH FUNCTIONAL REACHES LESS THAN 27.5 INCHES (T-REX ARMS).

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132874&page=2&highlight=prowler+inch

MasterBates

I think the airframes are all designed around "normal" sized people..

But some airframes/escape systems are more forgiving of being Chewbacca than others.

In the -34, as long as the canpy does not hit you head emergency opening, you could be OK..

Ejection seats, whole nother ball o wax. Unless you like being called "stumpy"

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Just curious, why are the sitting heights different for male/female? Do they not care it the women can see over the glare shield?

dbatt005

P-3 FO
None
As I stated in the initial post, check out the current instruction. It seems that the most restrictive airframe currently is the T-45. Also, if you are close the Pensacola area, I recommend getting measured at NASC. They have taken over all the anthro from NAMI. They have trained civilians that are very accurate and your measurements are put directly into the NAACA program which will evaluate you then and there. This is now the process for all new check-ins doing there initial NAMI physicals but is also open to any applicants as well.

Again, check out the website below if you have any questions. The phone numbers are also listed. You can make appointments with Mr. Jim Myers for anthro. NAMI will probably refer you to him if you call them also.
https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/anthro_/index.htm

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A word of caution. If you're already in the pipeline, don't start calling/emailing these people. Go through STUCON if you think you have a valid reason for remeasurement.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So gone are the days of being actually measured in the aircraft?

I remember several of us going to KNPA and sitting in each training aircraft and getting evaluated. That's if we had one or more anthro out of "limits."

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So gone are the days of being actually measured in the aircraft?

I remember several of us going to KNPA and sitting in each training aircraft and getting evaluated. That's if we had one or more anthro out of "limits."

Those days are over. Now it's based entirely on measurements.

If you are out of limits you'll be dq'd from that pipeline (obviously), but the wording of the anthro procedures says waivers "should" not be considered, not that they "shall" not be considered. So, it is possible to get a waiver if you're out of specs, but they are reeeeally hard to get.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok, question here. When I went down in march to great lakes the HN measured me at 39.5 on the sitting height. This is nearly an inch over what I was measured at 2 1/2 years ago. Now, being 29 I am quite certain that I have been done growing for the past several years. So, do I need to get remeasured down at great lakes, or do those measurements not count? I heard that the ones that really matter are down at P'cola. I have to go back down to GL for all the waiver stuff dealing w/ a LOC. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal to talk to the HN and get remeasured if that's what is necessary.