• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthropometric issues (are you too big or even too small or...)

mcdwf398

what time of the day did you measure yourself? you know that people are about an inch taller in the morning when you just get out of bed compared with the evening
Interesting....

well i measured both times late at night...

on that note i was considering this stuff about jumping off things for a while before going in...at first it makes some kinda sense. Compress the tissue between your vertebrae to make yourself shorter. But then I got to thinking, they will prolly then swell to make it harder to squeeze yourself down those fractions of and inch.

Seems we would be better off just practicing using muscles to compress the lower back and neck and slouching without being noticeable.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Interesting....

Seems we would be better off just practicing using muscles to compress the lower back and neck and slouching without being noticeable.

Or maybe just show up and do what they tell you and quit worrying about it.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
+1 to gatordev! Just go in, get measured, and don't worry about it. Follow the instructions given and relax. If you anthro out of something, it is for safety reasons. I anthro'ed out of jets and helos becuase of my sitting height. Once it was explained to me that if I had to eject or auto-rotate in an emergency that either of those two actions would kill me (head going through the canopy before the canopy breakers or having the fuselage collapsing on my head when the helo impacts the ground), I suddenly became comfortable with my restrictions.

On another note, a hint to all of those worrying about your anthro measurements: Just relax and roll with the punches if you get restricted!! You'll find very quickly, as I have found, that you have to learn to make the best of any given situation and move on. If you can't do that, you are going to run into some hard times in the military, because things rarely seem to work out as anticipated. Look on the bright side, you are still FLYING!!

couell3584

Im putting in a package next month for nfo and had to gain almost ten pounds to be told I can put nfo as first choice. Im five feet exactly and 112 lbs. Is it hopeless to be putting nfo for my first choice?

WIDGET

wow. after reading 10 pages of anthro, the last comment is the same question i have. my friend is stashed in anthro (not sure exactly what he does), but he looked up my numbers this morning and said i was too light to fly F-18DF, T-45, T2, and EA-6B. I'm 5'2, 120 lbs.
So, first question - can you really be too light for an aircraft? And secondly, what's the Navy's take on steroids and women with facial hair?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's too light for the boom-boom seat, not the airplane itself. The ejection seats were designed to work for a certain range of anthros - anything outside the parameters and you risk serious injury. The way it was explained to me, the danger in being too light is that you can seriously fuck up your spine (even more than an ejection will do to anyone). And if you bulk up enough to be in the range, you'll be outside height-weight anyway.

Most current seats were designed using anthro sets taken in the 70's - i.e., before the wimmens were flying jets very much. Mrs Fester was in the same spot as you, too tiny for ejection seats. She's been happily flying E-2s for a while now.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Anyone know the magic number for T45 sitting height? (MB?) This one is a real pain in the ass to try to read, and I'd like to have a number in mind when I get re-measured.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Think you might be thinking of the wrong number. 38.8 is the magic number for sitting height in the T-45. Searching turns this number up pretty easily.

Sorry it is in the 30s, I'll check my anthro sheet when I get home for the exact measurement since I have it there.

MasterBates

NEVER trust "your sheet" to see if numbers were/are good. According to my NOMI Antrho sheet, I should be fine.

According to NOMI's pubs, I am .2 inches too big on BKL to fly any model of the T-45 (but fit in all fleet jets/carrier propjobs).

Amazingly, the only fleet bird I am out of anthro norms for, is the SH-60B. Which was my fleet aircraft. Go figure.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
MB - I feel your pain. The only reason I'm anthro-ed out of jets and helos is because I don't fit in the 45 or TH-57. I fit in the rest of the fleet birds, but can't make it through the pipeline... Oh well, P-3s here I come! Oh, and best of luck to your situation, it sucks, I know!