• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another "praise the Raptor" article

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
I'm confused:

"The Prandtl–Glauert singularity (sometimes referred to as a "vapor cone") is the point at which a sudden drop in air pressure occurs, and is generally accepted as the cause of the visible condensation cloud that often surrounds an aircraft traveling at transonic speeds, though there remains some debate"

So then Beans is right and don't be an "ASS"

Fascinating...I don't understand how you can determine that my response included a judgement of right or wrong regarding Beans' original comment. I merely directed Beans to a pretty interesting topic associated with the visual in the picture.

Guidance to Beans, if any, was to ditch the quotes.

Guidance to you is to save the flame routine for something truly offensive.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeaaaaaah, soooooo...coming out for Comic-Con this year?

Not me....my 2 daughters are...... :icon_tong

I'll be on a X-country to WV for a little white-water rafting trip.....OH YEAH!!
The things I do for "TRAINING" :D:icon_smil:icon_mi_1

-ea6bflyr ;)

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Fascinating...I don't understand how you can determine that my response included a judgement of right or wrong regarding Beans' original comment. I merely directed Beans to a pretty interesting topic associated with the visual in the picture.

Guidance to Beans, if any, was to ditch the quotes.

Guidance to you is to save the flame routine for something truly offensive.

Right. I guess if I was going to try to enlighten Beans with some great information, I would have worded it differently and not "suggested" the way you did.
Thanks for the guidance. Have a nice night.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Comic-con, who said Comic-con!?!........, is IKE taken as a user name? hmmmmm

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Yeah, instead of spouting off fancy terms (I did "The Google"* to it as you suggested to make sure I was thinking of the right idea in my reply), I just tried to be nice about it. The P-G singularity has come up in past AW "Is this supersonic?"** discussions.

Regardless, Brett and I are probably both right. It's likely supersonic in that it's M>1 (the normal shock behind it is actually clear of the aircraft), but it's probably just above M=1, and still transonic, because there's only one shock so far. But I need to dig up my copy of this book and make sure I'm not misleading anyone. 2sr2worry, this might not be a bad purchase for you if you're interested in "really"*** learning the material (so you can realize later how much you've forgotten and be sad about it).

On an even nerdier note, is anyone else excited that vorticity was conserved through the shock wave? Helmholtz is safe!

Footnotes:
* legit use of quotes, but I tweaked my wording that way
** plain legit
*** ok, now I'm picking on you

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, instead of spouting off fancy terms (I did "The Google"* to it as you suggested to make sure I was thinking of the right idea in my reply), I just tried to be nice about it. The P-G singularity has come up in past AW "Is this supersonic?"** discussions.

Regardless, Brett and I are probably both right. It's likely supersonic in that it's M>1 (the normal shock behind it is actually clear of the aircraft), but it's probably just above M=1, and still transonic, because there's only one shock so far. But I need to dig up my copy of this book and make sure I'm not misleading anyone. 2sr2worry, this might not be a bad purchase for you if you're interested in "really"*** learning the material (so you can realize later how much you've forgotten and be sad about it).

On an even nerdier note, is anyone else excited that vorticity was conserved through the shock wave? Helmholtz is safe!

Footnotes:
* legit use of quotes, but I tweaked my wording that way
** plain legit
*** ok, now I'm picking on you

I think Beans is basically saying he has a Masters in Aerospace Engineering from MIT and to STFU. ;)

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I've been passing over this thread, looking at the title and thinking.. "well, no shit"

I finally clicked on it. Cool picture. If the cone has even the slightest forward point; it is supersonic, get over it.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
You're all wrong: it's Photoshop!! :icon_tong:D

Anderson's Aerodynamics is going to give me nightmares tonight. Again. God, I hated that class.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I am having a hard time understanding what there is to "get over."* If I'm reading the responses correctly, I and most of the participants in this thread either (1) think this is interesting; (2) think making fun of nerds is fun; or (3) want to discuss the use of quotations or how to properly correct someone about their use. I happen to be enjoying this thread three ways, and I'm one of the nerds!

Anyway, for some good drawings and photos of near supersonic flow, and a really interesting history of high-speed airfoil research, check out this article available on the NASA history site.

For those who have seen these things up close, how painful is it to be <200yd from a supersonic flyby?

*I think that one was legit, too

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
It's no big deal. Seriously, people.

Brett

Unless you're the one unlucky Sailor about 11 years ago who was opening a hatch just as the Super Tomcat made its Mach 1.0++ pass. The pressure wave transmitted by the ship's ventilation inside the ship rammed the hatch into his forehead and knocked him out cold.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I think that aircraft is almost supersonic. The shock isn't in the right place yet, and there's only one. Anyone w/ "actual" supersonic/sonic experience care to weigh in?.

Yes. It's impossible to tell the Mach number of the Raptor based off that photo.