• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another "praise the Raptor" article

thull

holy ****..wonder what the specs are on that maneuver..how fast can it go and pull that off, how does it do it, what are some of the applications, etc? looks cool, but whaaa? huuuh? haaa???

...don't worry Goose, I'll hit the brakes and he'll fly right into me..

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sell the farm, take the shot, and hope like hell your missile hits...

SemperApollo

Has anyone seen the F-22 doing pinwheel loops? I can't think of a better name but its where with almost no forward speed the nose pitches through 360 degrees with complete control. All you heard from the crowd was "What!? Nooooooo f'n way!"

Reminds me of Oceana 2004 after the Super Hornet loaded roll the announcer said "Brian Norris is watching with envy." :)

wrk

One of the russian jets (can't remember which) has been doing stuff like that for a long time.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Mefesto said:
Stuff like this is cool for airshows... but zero airspeed with no where to go is not a great place to be in a fight. You're low hanging fruit waiting to be picked off.

Agreed. Caption should read "Place cannon shells here."

Besides, if memory serves me right talking to our 18C guys a few years back, the Hornet could do the same thing anyway - just alpha limited in the software. Correct / incorrect?

SemperApollo

At the 2003 Willow Grove airshow, Lt Joe Alden did what I still believe to be the most beautiful pitch rate demo/pirouette ever. Hauled the nose from near level to pure vertical in 3 seconds, held the upline forever and then brought the nose over the top with a ridiculously small radius. Much different than the way its flown today.

Yeah I know what I think looks good at an airshow has no bearing on what you guys really need to do in combat but :drool_125

Forgot the nose # but it was a Roman F/A-18C with the uprated engines.

Lonestar155

is good to go
The maneuvers may seem useless, but I think the F-22 will revolutionize dog fighting. The F-22 demonstrates that it can come close to stalling and then simply pulling itself out of it with the help of its 70,000 lbs. of thrust. Look at the motor behind it.

Attachments

• f119.jpg
    f119.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 98

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The maneuvers may seem useless, but I think the F-22 will revolutionize dog fighting. The F-22 demonstrates that it can come close to stalling and then simply pulling itself out of it with the help of its 70,000 lbs. of thrust. Look at the motor behind it.

That assumes that there's going to be someone to "dogfight" with in the future.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
I don't see the Merge going away anytime soon... and the F-22 isn't going to "revolutionize" ACM anymore than clear canopies did WVR. AIM-9X and HMCS are going WAY beyond what anyone can imagine. You give me a -22 with sticks and stones versus a plain old Hornet with 9X and HMS... and I'll introduce you to a Raptor driver walking home.

I thought the pilot matters more than the plane.....;)

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
The F-22 brings some new tactics along with it. I remember getting info about it back when I worked in DC about the hunter/killer and data-uplink functions that the new avionics were going to run. It was pretty neat, for lack of a better way to put it. One of the Super Hornet guys said when they ran some of the tests it was no fun; they would fly around looking for the F-22 and all of a sudden would hear, "XXX, your dead."

Stealth paired with high bandwidth and realtime (dare I even say useful) networking is a great concept for Air to Air combat, and allows for some cool integration.

As for actual man to man dogfighting, I don't know what sort or real advantages it has. But the stuff they were talking about for pure kills in the sky was pretty impressive.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
I don't see the Merge going away anytime soon... and the F-22 isn't going to "revolutionize" ACM anymore than clear canopies did WVR. AIM-9X and HMCS are going WAY beyond what anyone can imagine. You give me a -22 with sticks and stones versus a plain old Hornet with 9X and HMS... and I'll introduce you to a Raptor driver walking home.

What makes you think that F-22 doesn't have JHMCS and AIM-9X? And I'm gonna guess that the current Raptor pilots are seasoned aviators... I don't think he'll be the one walking home from that fight ;)

JHMCS and AIM-9X are sick, but the principles of BFM have remained the same. At least, that's what they're telling us here.