• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
My first thought was that I hope this is part of a plan to let us wear bags off base. Let's hope.... I'm curious about the patch thing- the way the message is worded it sounds like the right shoulder is the only place you can wear the qual patch, not that its the only one you can wear. If not, well I guess the crew patch is going on the nomex and I'll wear that all the time.

...Oh wait, I just checked in to the boat, so no flight suits for me for the next 2 years anyway :-(

All I want to know is where can we wear the "Tactics is for homos" patch? I don't want to fucking HEAR anything about the word from homo, whoever is already typing a response!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah. I've had 3 CPOs come up and tell me about it today. Borderline gloating at best.

(I'm the local king of "not just the standard patches" here, but what I wear is legal under current rules)

Junior Enlisted, JO, CPO, O-5... whatever. There will always be "that guy". The chief who has nothing better to do but bitch at JOs because their "backpack isn't within regs" or "your sunglasses are too faddish, sir" or "you have on the wrong color socks"......right. "Not now, Chief! I'm in the fucking zone!"

But for reelz.... find something to do.... like real work.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
And this is the same Commodore that wore his leather flight jacket with his blues (not authorized) while talking to the press about a mishap.

OT, I know, but "Leather Blues" were a sanctioned option last time I poured through the uniform regs looking for them (@2008). ADM Keating was famous for showing up to visit commands in his blues, then swapping his SDB blouse for his leather jacket during his Q&A sessions.

Have they been removed from the list of the acceptables?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
OT, I know, but "Leather Blues" were a sanctioned option last time I poured through the uniform regs looking for them (@2008). ADM Keating was famous for showing up to visit commands in his blues, then swapping his SDB blouse for his leather jacket during his Q&A sessions.

As of ~2005 (maybe), I believe it was still not authorized. I know ~2000 it wasn't. Mind you, I'm not saying that people don't do it and if I wore such attire, I would wear it that way, as well. It may have very well been added. The mishap was 2008, so you may have got me. But you just have to know the guy appreciate the irony.

I'll see if I get suitably bored today to look it up.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
As of ~2005 (maybe), I believe it was still not authorized. I know ~2000 it wasn't. Mind you, I'm not saying that people don't do it and if I wore such attire, I would wear it that way, as well. It may have very well been added. The mishap was 2008, so you may have got me. But you just have to know the guy appreciate the irony.

Yeah, one would have to know this Commodore, one of if not the worst leaders I've ever seen in the Navy. Definitely do as I say not as I do type of officer. He was an aviator who hated his own kind.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Here's what I was basing my post off of (and yes, I'm procrastinating on signing audits and request chits):

Naval aviators, pilots, flight officers, undergraduate pilots, NFOs, and flight surgeons, Aerospace Experimental Psychologists, and Aerospace Physiologists may wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki, Working Khaki, Winter Blue, Winter Working Blue, Aviation Working Green and Navy blue coveralls. If wearing Aviation Working Green, the option is provided to wear either the leather flight jacket or the green uniform blouse. Eligible enlisted aircrewmen, E7-E9, are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki, Working Khaki, Winter Blue, Winter Working Blue, Aviation Working Green and Navy blue coveralls. Eligible enlisted aircrewmen E6 and below are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Utilities, Winter Blue, Winter Working Blue, Service Uniform (SU), and Navy blue coveralls. Only direct point to point transit is appropriate when the flight jacket is worn to and from work with working uniforms (excluding Navy blue coveralls, which may be worn in immediate working spaces only). Close zipper at least ¾ of the way when worn. Management and control of leather flight jackets are outlined in <OPNAVINST 10126.4 series>.

http://www.bupers.navy.mil/CommandSupport/USNavyUniforms/UniformRegulations/Chapter6/6801.htm

I also don't see where it says you can wear the jacket w/ civilian attire. Not sure if that was removed or I'm just missing it (or in a different section). Also not sure what the difference between Winter Blues and Working Winter Blues are since they both seem to be gone now. Regardless, neither are "Service Dress Blues."

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Also not sure what the difference between Winter Blues and Working Winter Blues are since they both seem to be gone now.

Winter Blues = "Johnny Cash" with tie and ribbons. Authorized off base.
Winter Working Blues = "Johnny Cash" without tie or ribbons. Not authorized off base.

Before khakis became a year 'round uniform, these were the uniforms we wore at Brunswick in the winter, when we weren't wearing the bag.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
If this is the first step to allowing us to wear bags out in town then so be it. It would be nice to meet my wife and kids off base for lunch. Its still a T-shirt. I could care less what color it is. Atleast we are still in bags.

Back in the 90's when we had to get our rank sewn onto the shoulders of our bags (just like the Air Force) it was speculated that since we are going to follow the Air Force lead WRT to flight suits, then we'll get to follow their practice of wearing the flight suit off base....

The Navy did loosen up a bit with flight suit usage off base (short duration stops were now permissible) but we never did get the freedom the Air Force had regarding flight suit wearing.

So, to answer you question, just because the Navy is looking to standardize flight suits ever more, I wouldn't hold my breath expecting Big Navy to loosen up the rules regarding wearing off-base.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Winter Blues = "Johnny Cash" with tie and ribbons. Authorized off base.
Winter Working Blues = "Johnny Cash" without tie or ribbons. Not authorized off base.

Before khakis became a year 'round uniform, these were the uniforms we wore at Brunswick in the winter, when we weren't wearing the bag.

I was wondering if the tie was the key point. I actually thought it was the other way around ("Working" was with ties), but that makes more sense. Either way, I wore them in ROTC and that was enough for me.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We have a black shoe CMC now. We had a sub guy before. They don't and shouldn't get involved in the weeds / mission of the squadron.Straight up heads, beds, attitudes and advising the CO on enlisted matters. Basically keeping the goat locker and troopers in line. Not to say there hasn't been problems. You will see AWs become CMC/CSCs on afloat units too.

After having to deal with Army Command Sergeant Majors and their camp followers for the past few months CMCs have nothing on asinine stupidness when compared to them. Some fo them actually think they are in command of things, and the Army treats them that way too. Apparently they are the authority of all things Army, especially uniforms regs, and God forbid you try and remind them that you are 1-An officer and 2-In the Navy and could give two shits about what they think of your supposed uniform violations.

Sorry, just had to vent.......If a Chief gets a little bitchy about the new flight suit regs you could always just ask them if they are supposed to be stress-testing their khakis.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The last couple of years, at hook and when the Admirals come around, the topic of flight suits off base came up often. What we were told, we would have to gave a standard black tshirt. A bunch of people said no, so we never got the OK to wear them out in town. This last year, some of the 05's and above asked around and more guys were on board with it if we could go off base. So........... I am really hope this is the first step and last step to be cleared wierd out in town.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
After having to deal with Army Command Sergeant Majors and their camp followers for the past few months CMCs have nothing on asinine stupidness when compared to them. Some fo them actually think they are in command of things, and the Army treats them that way too. Apparently they are the authority of all things Army, especially uniforms regs, and God forbid you try and remind them that you are 1-An officer and 2-In the Navy and could give two shits about what they think of your supposed uniform violations.

Sorry, just had to vent.......If a Chief gets a little bitchy about the new flight suit regs you could always just ask them if they are supposed to be stress-testing their khakis.

Flash . . .you have no idea. :) The Battalion CSM would dumpster dive to see if we were throwing away any HAZMAT or restricted items. He wouldn't have a private do it. . .no . . .he jumped into the dumpster all on his own. In a combat zone, one thinks you might be able to get away with a dirty uniform? HELL NO, if he saw you had a dirty uniform on, you had to return to your barracks and put on a cleaner one. Ughh. . .

And, for future reference (as if anyone cares) it's "Command Sergeants Major"

sickboy

pilot
Why a black shirt? You'd think that with all this talk of seabag reduction they'd just make the NWU undershirt standard. Especially for the aircrew, just more crap to pack. What do I know, I don't even rate a bag yet.