• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
I seem to remember a lot of guys wearing Top Gun patches on their left in lieu of the flag and a squadron-specific aircraft patch on the right, especially the VF types with their triangle F-14 patches. Am I right? That would be the only reason I could think of that rule.

I think this is exactly what it is referring to. The previous regs allowed "graduate aircrew" patches to be worn on the left shoulder in lieu of a flag.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I think this is exactly what it is referring to. The previous regs allowed "graduate aircrew" patches to be worn on the left shoulder in lieu of a flag.

The fact that regulations exist for "flying coveralls" that are not a uniform (and yes, those regs started circa 95) that mandated names and ranks started us down this slippery slope. If you're going to make it a uniform make it a uniform and be done with it.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So does this mean NOTHING other than the "graduate level aircrew training patch" on the right shoulder?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a lot of flight suit hate amongst the non-wearers. Officers and enlisted. I'm not sure why it is such a big fookin deal.

MasterBates

Yeah. I'm sure the goat locker here, (who live to correct me on proper flight suit and jacket wear) is waiting for this to be in effect.

I think I'll have to live with it for 2-3 weeks at most.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
There is a lot of flight suit hate amongst the non-wearers. Officers and enlisted. I'm not sure why it is such a big fookin deal.

I don't know if "hate" is the right word. Envy, possibly? It's the easiest/laziest uniform to wear. You don't have to press it, dry clean it or starch it. You can basically just throw it on in five seconds and be ready to go, out the door. They're more comfortable than the NWU/BDU/ACU/Whatever . . . what's not to hate, if you don't get to wear it? :)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know if "hate" is the right word. Envy, possibly? It's the easiest/laziest uniform to wear. You don't have to press it, dry clean it or starch it. You can basically just throw it on in five seconds and be ready to go, out the door. They're more comfortable than the NWU/BDU/ACU/Whatever . . . what's not to hate, if you don't get to wear it? :)

No. it's straight up hate.

I'm about to be wearing Khakis whilst sitting in a cubicle soon, so I'll enjoy whatever patches (and/or T shirts) I'm allowed for now.

MasterBates

Yeah. I've had 3 CPOs come up and tell me about it today. Borderline gloating at best.

(I'm the local king of "not just the standard patches" here, but what I wear is legal under current rules)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
MB: What do you wear that's so verboten?

And 99 all, are there really black shoe CMCs in an aviation squadron/command? Whats the logic there?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MB: What do you wear that's so verboten?

And 99 all, are there really black shoe CMCs in an aviation squadron/command? Whats the logic there?

We have a black shoe CMC now. We had a sub guy before. They don't and shouldn't get involved in the weeds / mission of the squadron. Straight up heads, beds, attitudes and advising the CO on enlisted matters. Basically keeping the goat locker and troopers in line. Not to say there hasn't been problems. You will see AWs become CMC/CSCs on afloat units too.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Both VQ(T) squadrons have non-aircrew CMCs.

One step closer to being the 3rd Air Reconnaissance Squadron vice FAIRECONRON THREE... (That probably only makes sense to folks who have had some dealing with AF aviation... eff..)

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
One step closer to being the 3rd Air Reconnaissance Squadron vice FAIRECONRON THREE... (That probably only makes sense to folks who have had some dealing with AF aviation... eff..)

Probably more like the 633rd Air Reconnaissance Squadron of the 8th Air Reconnaissance Wing of the 9th Air Force.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Honestly, this navadmin is good news to me. First, we already wear black shirts for our squadron, but I definitely would be pissed if we didn't and had to switch. The different colored shirts, like patches, are part of squadron identification and espirit de corps. Also, previous uniform regs stated that zippers had to be closed on the flight suit and I'd get so much crap about putting my cover in the leg pocket and leaving it unzipped. Now I can do what I already do and not get hassled. Finally, I can walk and talk on the cell phone. The only doom and gloom I see is the t-shirt issue though.