• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
It could always be worse?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Aircrew_Combat_Uniform

photostream

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
(3) THE GRADUATE LEVEL AIRCREW TRAINING PATCH SHALL BE WORN ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER ONLY.

Does this mean no more crew patches on the right shoulder? Or does it mean if wearing a training patch that it must be on the right shoulder only?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This message just got sent out by our CMC, with emphasis on the flight suits (hmm?)...

On a side note, I recall that the Airboss asked commanders earlier this year about how to get flight suits approved for off base officially, one of the proposals I thought had black t shirts in it. Hoping possibly this could mean flight suits "officially" authorized off base? (Not like I haven't seen enough flight suits at Starbucks etc off base....) sigh...

Currently, flight suits ARE "officially" authorized off base. There's just a bunch of caveats. Which leads to...

I always thought takeout was considered "Stop of conviencece". Granted, that's in the land of orange and white...

It is an Orange and White thing. There's some flexibility built into the current instruction which allows the <insert important person> (Commodore, usually) to allow other stops. While I was there as an IP, the TW-5 Commodore (not known for his flexibility) allowed it, so you could make brief stops to pick up take-out or the like.

Either way, unless this means we can wear bags in town....why?

My theory? .......

Affirm, the powerpoint proposal from the Airboss was going around last year and the idea was that if they allowed it and you wore a flight suit out in town it had to be with a black t-shirt. But the idea wasn't to make black t-shirts mandantory for everyone. Wonder how it morphed into this? Maybe this is the first step in making the change, let's hope so.

This is what I'm guessing. This may be the first step to get the CNO (SWO) onboard. Let's institute a uniform uniform and then we may be able to get some more flexibility. The same message talks about how how wearing of flight suits will be authorized at CNA events, as approved by the CNO. So hopefully there's a movement afoot.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
If this is the first step to allowing us to wear bags out in town then so be it. It would be nice to meet my wife and kids off base for lunch. Its still a T-shirt. I could care less what color it is. Atleast we are still in bags.

Flugelman

Contributor
Chiefs were the only ones that would give me shit about wearing bags in town in California. I'm not sure what their deal is with them.

Must have been blackshoes 'cuz this Chief would have been in the bag right along with you.

I was lucky to never have been stationed where the command was so anal about bags. Who cares where the pisscutter is stuffed just so long as it's not on yer head on the flightline...:icon_rage

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
My first thought was that I hope this is part of a plan to let us wear bags off base. Let's hope.... I'm curious about the patch thing- the way the message is worded it sounds like the right shoulder is the only place you can wear the qual patch, not that its the only one you can wear. If not, well I guess the crew patch is going on the nomex and I'll wear that all the time.

...Oh wait, I just checked in to the boat, so no flight suits for me for the next 2 years anyway :-(

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
While I was there as an IP, the TW-5 Commodore (not known for his flexibility) allowed it, so you could make brief stops to pick up take-out or the like.

I'm thinking the same Commodore who ripped me a new asshole at the NFCU ATM in Milton that I stopped to use, while wearing my green flight jacket. It was about 40 degree's outside and I assume I was supposed to take it off while I got cash out of the ATM. I decided to use common sense and wear it seeing it was a bit cold outside. I didn't see the Commodore coming as he pulled his car over to get out to yell at me....I think he really got upset as I didn't take it off....he didn't say I had to take it off, just reprimanded me for wearing it. He watched me walk to me car and before I got in, he yelled, "you're embarrassing me!!!". I was just cold :icon_tong

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
What I fear, is that Naval Aviation as a whole will make up a bunch of rules because a SWO CNO might like them and might let us wear flightsuits off base officially. Instead, the CNO changes nothing and we're left with the dead seagull of uniform regs we offered as a sacrifice hanging around our necks until the death of manned flight.

Meanwhile, life has been pretty damn good doing whatever the hell we want, within reason, and getting away with it. The last thing I want is for my SWOtivated CMC, who has less time in aviation than all of my unqualified aircrew, to be able to tell me how I should wear my flightsuit. And really, they need to spell out a rule on where I'm supposed to keep my piss cutter? It's going to go in my right thigh pocket, folded in half, just like it has been since I was an ensign.

exhelodrvr

pilot
What I fear, is that Naval Aviation as a whole will make up a bunch of rules because a SWO CNO might like them and might let us wear flightsuits off base officially. Instead, the CNO changes nothing and we're left with the dead seagull of uniform regs we offered as a sacrifice hanging around our necks until the death of manned flight.

Meanwhile, life has been pretty damn good doing whatever the hell we want, within reason, and getting away with it. The last thing I want is for my SWOtivated CMC, who has less time in aviation than all of my unqualified aircrew, to be able to tell me how I should wear my flightsuit. And really, they need to spell out a rule on where I'm supposed to keep my piss cutter? It's going to go in my right thigh pocket, folded in half, just like it has been since I was an ensign.

Back in the olden days, the gate guards would look as you were driving out to make sure you weren't in a flight suit or flight jacket, and stop you if you were.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I seem to remember a lot of guys wearing Top Gun patches on their left in lieu of the flag and a squadron-specific aircraft patch on the right, especially the VF types with their triangle F-14 patches. Am I right? That would be the only reason I could think of that rule.

Renegade One

None
Glad I'm retired.

So's the CNO...just kidding!!

I give up...what is "the graduate level aircrew training patch"? Whatever it is, why does it merit speclal call-out for "location, location, location"? Is there already some other NAVADMIN or other instruction that details squadron patch placement, nametag stuff, flags, yadda yadda yadda? I assume there must me...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm thinking the same Commodore who ripped me a new asshole at the NFCU ATM in Milton that I stopped to use, while wearing my green flight jacket. It was about 40 degree's outside and I assume I was supposed to take it off while I got cash out of the ATM. I decided to use common sense and wear it seeing it was a bit cold outside. I didn't see the Commodore coming as he pulled his car over to get out to yell at me....I think he really got upset as I didn't take it off....he didn't say I had to take it off, just reprimanded me for wearing it. He watched me walk to me car and before I got in, he yelled, "you're embarrassing me!!!". I was just cold :icon_tong

And this is the same Commodore that wore his leather flight jacket with his blues (not authorized) while talking to the press about a mishap.

Bunk, before you got there (I think), a buddy of mine went into the BBQ place in Pace and was spied. After much brewhaha, it came out, via the CO, that the Commodore had approved takeout stops for "recruiting purposes." That's the only reason how I knew he had set a policy. And one of the few policies I actually agreed with.

And you'll notice how fast the short break came back once he left. Another amusing policy change. But that's a whole other sea story.